Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium

After selling his secret Lincolnshire pork chine recipe to A W Curtis, Augustus was seriously cashed up, and as well as 62822 and 3301, he rescued 2849 and 2877 from Doncaster, where they were stationary boilers.  In great demand for enthusiasts specials, seaside extras and preserved lines, Augustus happily branched out and purchased a Midland Compound, leasing it for special workings to the Daily Mirror and the Andy Capp Handicap horse race, and even having it repainted.  This was the start of his ruin.    

And if I followed his example, it would be the start of my ruin too. :jester:

• RMweb Premium

Have you finally cracked, Gilbert?

Finally? Bless him.

Q

Cracked is a bit harsh. Let's say that my resolve may have crumbled a bit around the edges. I had been half hoping that the C1's would all sell out quickly, thus removing temptation from my path. It appears that they have not, and a bit of spare cash having appeared, the urge to buy became ever stronger.  A word with my ologist reassured me that this is not a sign of the return of rampant locoholism, so I began to look for possible scenarios that might excuse the appearance of an Atlantic at PN in 1958. My post yesterday was intended to get opinions as to which was the most believable. Dear old Sir Augustus is of course a mere figment of my imagination, though eccentric millionaires do exist, and one might have behaved as I suggested.

What would have happened though if the passion for preserving steam locos had started in earnest in the 50s rather than the 60s?  The opportunity to acquire a C1 was most certainly there at Doncaster. I recall even in the late 50s, during a reconnaisance operation to bunk the Plant, looking across the canal which someone had most inconveniently put in the way and seeing at least two Atlantic boilers still in use to provide heating. Would the existence of 251 have meant that a second one would not have been rescued?  Probably.

Anyway, the burning question is -  do i get a black one or an apple green one?

Undecided of Nottingham.

• RMweb Premium

Not that I know anything about such ER matters but a black one might have really been available. However, eccentric purchaser (not you G) of another would probably have demanded a green one.

Unfortunately that means both but not necessarily at the same time. 

Quackers.

Not that I know anything about such ER matters but a black one might have really been available. However, eccentric purchaser (not you G) of another would probably have demanded a green one.

Unfortunately that means both but not necessarily at the same time. 

Quackers.

Those pre-Grouping engines saved and/or given some love in the 50s & 60s were often painted in their pre-Grouping liveries (a LSWR 4-4-0 and GER 0-6-0T spring to mind): so apple green I'd suggest!

62822 may well have visited Peterborough-it was shedded at Grantham, and used for locals to Boston, Skegness and Nottingham.

There were also the last GCR C4s in service from Lincoln and Boston, and they were regularly seen at Spalding-I am sure they would have ventured to Peterborough as well

• RMweb Premium

Those pre-Grouping engines saved and/or given some love in the 50s & 60s were often painted in their pre-Grouping liveries (a LSWR 4-4-0 and GER 0-6-0T spring to mind): so apple green I'd suggest!

I seem to remember the 'Jones Goods' being on Railway Roundabout circa 1958. That was in Highland (?) livery. I only saw the 'pet' engines like the Station Pilots at Newcastle and York (NE Livery) and Liverpool Street (Black, lined J69?) in 1960/1/2. The LSWR T9 got pg livery in 1961 I think; possibly late 1960. I shall check as it too was a pet, but for specials.

I don't know what was running in pg livery in 1958.

P

There's nothing wrong with having the occasional out of period locomotive or train.

Just list it as a Funny Train, as David Jenkinson used to do

Paul 4475

p.s. I too have Locoholism. Seriously considering the acquisition of a couple of C1's

I seem to remember the 'Jones Goods' being on Railway Roundabout circa 1958. That was in Highland (?) livery. I only saw the 'pet' engines like the Station Pilots at Newcastle and York (NE Livery) and Liverpool Street (Black, lined J69?) in 1960/1/2. The LSWR T9 got pg livery in 1961 I think; possibly late 1960. I shall check as it too was a pet, but for specials.

P

The Jones Goods, Glen 4-4-0 and Gordon Highlander were all seen in pre-grouping livery working specials around 1960. WJV Anderson took some stunning photographs of them in action.  

• RMweb Premium

62822 may well have visited Peterborough-it was shedded at Grantham, and used for locals to Boston, Skegness and Nottingham.

There were also the last GCR C4s in service from Lincoln and Boston, and they were regularly seen at Spalding-I am sure they would have ventured to Peterborough as well

Yes indeed, but the problem is that they were all gone by 1950, and PN is set in 1958/9. Actually, I would prefer a C4 even above a C1, as I think they were some of the most handsome locos ever, and I know my uncle drove them in their last days, but no way can I justify one, unless I start bending the rules in a big way. I'm not sure there is even a buildable kit for a C1 in any event. I know Millholme did one way back, but most of their kits weren't really buildable anyway.

I'm trying to justify the C1 somehow, hence the daft post earlier on, and I suppose that in some convoluted way I have to come up with a logical and possible reason for it, even though I know there isn't one.

• RMweb Premium

There's nothing wrong with having the occasional out of period locomotive or train.

Just list it as a Funny Train, as David Jenkinson used to do

Paul 4475

p.s. I too have Locoholism. Seriously considering the acquisition of a couple of C1's

Thanks Paul. I have considered the "funny trains", though I'm somewhat fearful as to where that might lead!  I've even thought about having an alternative period for the layout - either late 40s or even pre war. :O That would please our Jonathan, and one or two others. It would also be far too expensive though - not just more locos but different liveries, different coaching stock etc. Just not feasible at all. I think I did say a while back that what I would really like would be an M&GN 4.4.0 with some very antique stock, so if I went for any funny train, that would be the one.

As to the C1, it is back to Sir Augustus, or some very enlightened thinking by BR.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Gilbert How many times have you told us - "It's your railway and you should run what you want"

I rest my case.

I've said it many times Peter, and I believe it very strongly. What I want though, purely personally of course, is to reproduce 1958 as faithfully as possible. Hence all the angst.

I've said it many times Peter, and I believe it very strongly. What I want though, purely personally of course, is to reproduce 1958 as faithfully as possible. Hence all the angst.

Having a C1 such as 62822 with a set of local carriages-LNER, GNR, GER set in the period 1948-1950 would not really look out of place at all in 1958 at Peterborough.  Similarly, a C4 such as 2818 on a local goods would look quite at home.

Additionally, Worsley Works sell a set of etches for the C4 in 4mm scale. Great Central Models also produce a 4mm (P4,EM) scale etched brass kit. In the past, Leinster and McGowan have also produced kits of the C4 in 4mm scale (OO gauge), but both are currently unavailable.-from the LNER Encyclopedia

P

BLACK J69 - sir you should be ashamed! T'was the glorious GER Royal Blue...

Stewart

• RMweb Premium

BLACK J69 - sir you should be ashamed! T'was the glorious GER Royal Blue...

Stewart

Oh sorry Stewart. My sincere apologies.

It were a few years back and I was just a wee duckling back then. Anyhow, it looked very smart indeed (actually I think there were two but I only saw one). It was also lurking inside the  Liverpool Street 'train shed' and that was just a bit gloomy in 1960. Same day, same place, I also saw two Class 31s (well they were Brush 2s then weren't they?); one was orange and the other a sort of sky blue. Weird.

This was the same day as I cabbed Britannia before it left on a Norwich express (mentioned many times and oft on this Forum :scratchhead:)

Now I've gone all moody and thinking how much fun those days were.................................hey ho.

Anyway, to change the subject, another competition:

this is a 'spot the difference' challenge so get those specs polished and the magnifying glass dusted.

Seen before is picture 1.

post-2326-0-59491500-1433178974_thumb.jpg

here is picture 2.

post-2326-0-95526800-1433179016_thumb.jpg

Anyone having problems spotting the differences please contact Gilbert by PM only.

(Anyone suggesting there is a lot more solder blobbing around is disqualified)

P

• RMweb Premium

Ta Colin. Gilbert will be researching pigiron guano for the poles finishing touches. From the pics we are using as reference I don't think the lumpy bits between the struts will matter as the top area of the pole is cluttered and rather dirty. The actual post is wood or possibly concrete and I'd bet on it being wood because in a 70s picture it has been topped. Gilbert will get the colours matched.

post-2326-0-31892100-1433183560_thumb.jpg

I do hope the 'permission' for this picture includes me reposting it? If not, my sincere apologies and G. please ask me to delete it.

Just as an aside, I have purchased some Express Models Telegraph/phone Poles to see what they are like. The verdict is that they are superb and very, very good value IMO indeed. They do packs of lovely brass insulators as a separate product, but not cross beams. I'd get these Insulators and use some brass for cross beams and brass rod for poles of styles they don't make. I've alsmost used up my supply of white metal ones and the brass ones can be formed into the various shape insulator fittings found on poles

I'm hoping that the Modelu guy (3d printing) will be able to do some resin pole 4mm parts so gluing and using wooden poles becomes an option. This would make life a lot easier and the detail would/could be finer as per the Express products.

Quackers.

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Even with the bookcases I really like the last one.

The second one has something special about it to me as well. I don't know if it was intentional, but the bridge being in focus and the loco slightly blurred gives an impression of movement to my eye.

Kind regards, Neil