4470 Great Northern post 1933 image

Hello all, recently sorted the blog. Now as per the title I am planing a future modelling project of the prototype Gresley machine as it was after 1933, why 1933? in 1933 Great Northerns cab, boiler and chimney were lowered to fit the LNER's loading gauge. I would quite like to model the loco in this condition primarily because I could then excuse it running into Edinburgh as an A1, the only problem is the lack of photograph. So if anyone posses an Image of the Loco post 1933 and are in a position to share it, it would be much appreciated. Also does anyone know where it is possible to find film of the P1/P2s?

I have an image of GN in around 1938 (shortly after it received a narrow non corridor tender - presumably from an A4) in the book "Big Four in Colour" by David Jenkinson.

What details in particular were you researching?

Theres a video of Cock o' the north in France on here: http://www.britishpathe.com/

Just the Locomotives history, I want to eventually create a kind of 3D time line showing the Loco at various stages in its life: beginning with it in its original, ex GNR condition, to its more cut down LNER condition and finally its final condition as an A1/1.

so is it possible for you to post this Image, if not thanks for your help.

Hi, the books at home & my scanners at work, so it'll be tomorrow morning at the earliest.

You're in luck as Hornby have already done Great Northern in 1923 spec, & 'Flying Fox' which could be renamed/renumbered for GN in about 1933-1938 condition.

Some quite major repainting would be needed for the GNR livery, & you'd be kitbuilding an A1/1.

I'll get the pic & some info for you tomorrow hopefully. In the meantime, search the www.lner.info forums - they're more specific than RMWeb.

A worthy loco choice! Far more interesting history than Flying Scotsman!!

+Edit i found the video: http://www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=5566

Hi, the books at home & my scanners at work, so it'll be tomorrow morning at the earliest.

You're in luck as Hornby have already done Great Northern in 1923 spec, & 'Flying Fox' which could be renamed/renumbered for GN in about 1933-1938 condition.

Some quite major repainting would be needed for the GNR livery, & you'd be kitbuilding an A1/1.

I'll get the pic & some info for you tomorrow hopefully. In the meantime, search the www.lner.info forums - they're more specific than RMWeb.

A worthy loco choice! Far more interesting history than Flying Scotsman!!

+Edit i found the video: http://www.britishpa...ord.php?id=5566

I know, I in fact own a 1923 example, but I unfortunately damaged the paintwork and although repaired it has still left an ugly blemish on it, a word of advise NEVER use super glue remover on a model and if you have used it for another purpose make sure your hands are clean before handling, it eats paint like no tomorrow. So my plan is thus to purchase 4475 Flying Fox and renumber/rename it, I'm not entirely sure either to purchase a new Hornby Great Northern or wait until I feel I am significantly skilled to attempt a further repaint, you see the lining was also damaged if anyone knows of a source for LNER Black/white lining it would greatly help in the decision making, I then plan on building the PKD kit of 60113, I did think about using an old tender drive 4472 to rebuild into 60113 but Simierski's convinced my otherwise and the old 4472 has been selected for what shall for now be Known as PROJECT SUPER I. Finally the what-might-have-been if Great Northern had followed the rest of the A1s and had been reconstituted as an A3

Fox Transfers for the lining.

I agree that an apple green repaint is a daunting prospect. You could practice on an old tender drive A3(or any old loco) off ebay or a car boot.

I believe Simierski built an A1/1 out of the 'Railroad' Scotsman on old RMWeb

Fox Transfers for the lining.

I agree that an apple green repaint is a daunting prospect. You could practice on an old tender drive A3(or any old loco) off ebay or a car boot.

Thanks I'll take it into consideration.

I produced "Great Northern" in P4, running as it was around 1960, around 25 years ago, using scratch frames, cylinders and valvegear from Stelfox, boiler/firebox from Millholme, cab from DJH, scratch deflectors etc etc. then sold it when I moved to 7mm.

It was one of my favourite locos, being unique and allocated to Doncaster which was our local spotters' mecca.

I produced "Great Northern" in P4, running as it was around 1960, around 25 years ago, using scratch frames, cylinders and valvegear from Stelfox, boiler/firebox from Millholme, cab from DJH, scratch deflectors etc etc. then sold it when I moved to 7mm.

It was one of my favourite locos, being unique and allocated to Doncaster which was our local spotters' mecca.

thanks, but I probably woun't be attemting scratch-building like that for some time, but thanks anyway.

Archived