2FS - Smokey Bacon

SteveBedding

• RMweb Premium

No problems with the moral support. Modelling Calne is a fantastic idea, and that's it's 2mm is even better. Those boards are looking very nice. I assume that the end pieces of each board are going to be cut to match the landscape profile at a later date.

...I assume that the end pieces of each board are going to be cut to match the landscape profile at a later date.

At the moment, the boards are only connected by the bolts, I'll be fitting the locating dowels when all the ends have been finished (varnished) and that's when I'll do the 'landscaping' of the profiles and the final sanding of the trackbed to ensure that the levels are continuous. The picture below shows the rough outlines of the required profiles to suit the landscape - its not something that is easy to draw/plan but is better suited to actually 'doing' (but I do need to have a rough idea first :P)

post-6085-086900300 1286741922_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Looking good Steve - once the track building starts it will fly together with easitrac...whilst satisfying to build, the pcb/code 40 plain track construction was quite time consuming in comparison.

Red bull and jelly babies seems another good tip from the forum :D

The upside of a slack period at work (though that'll probably change in the next week or so), is that I have been able to 'abuse' the training budgets - of course it is all in the name of professional development and for the benefit of the organisation... ...but if it is of 'personal' gain, then so much the better...:D. Concurrently studying Service Management, Integrated Logistic Support, and a Project Management qualification has left me with a head that is full of conflicting (and some may say meaningless) jargon - and seriously reduced time for the important things in life - ie the layout :(. However some progress has been made this weekend, though even this has been limited by the running of all 10 Star Trek films on Film 4... ;).

Board Joints

Following from my previous post, with the three boards now mainly complete, the track-beds have to be levelled/sanded across the joints and the end panels need to be profiled.

The joints between boards 1 & 2 was the simplest, the high ground to the south (front of layout) had been roughed out previously and only needed minor smoothing, and at the far side, the platform, buildings (water tower etc), and station forecourt run close to the rear edge.

post-6085-059962400 1287324015_thumb.jpg

Between boards 2 & 3 the profile needs to be more accurately shaped. The ground level slopes down south to north following the stream bed that leads down to the river. The track bed is on an embankment with the stream passing through a culvert at the edge of board 3.

post-6085-031907500 1287324024_thumb.jpg

The picture also shows the first part of the scenic back-scene structure (temporarily fitted). Having looked closely at a number of layouts and especially how the back-scene has been implemented, I have decided to go for a fixed scene set approximately 300mm above the track bed datum. This was chosen as a balance between having a good depth, but not being too high for the operator to reach over (when working from behind the layout) - being a 'shorty' I may still need a footstool :P. I have still to cut the access hole through to the fiddle yard/cassette store, but this will have to wait until the track plan is stuck down and the exact position known.

The last picture shows the detail of one of the end panels - in addition to the bolts used to connect the boards, I have fitted brass Cabinet Makers Dowels to be more precise in the accurate alignment. These were chosen as I had a small stock available; they have a clearance of 0.2mm - 0.3mm which may be good enough...

post-6085-055742300 1287324032_thumb.jpg

...so far, I'm quite happy with the way these are working, but until I've got to actually laying some track over the joint, then I'll be more convinced. If necessary I can either replace or augment them with Pattern Makers Dowels (clearance 0.05mm).

The next steps are to mark up, cut, and lay down the high grade 3mm ply that will act as the 'underlay' for the track - Ooh - the excitement is starting to build as I can foresee actual laying of track starting soon... :D :D :D

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Ooh - the excitement is starting to build as I can foresee actual laying of track starting soon... :D :D :D

....which will tie in nicely with Santa's schedule of delivery for your area...be sure to find some time to sweep the chimney clear beforehand ;)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

....which will tie in nicely with Santa's schedule of delivery for your area...be sure to find some time to sweep the chimney clear beforehand ;)

Nah, just gives the presents a little bit of "pre weathering" laugh.gif

• Like 1

Well things seem to be progressing really well and I amso pleased to see it. Mind you it will be more exciting when the track is starting to be laid and to see if Santa needs to get more of the easitrac to go with the coaches...just hope Santa can get it down the chiminey and if there is any more added to his letter...it also depends on if he has been a good boy as we all know Santa only delivers to good children!!!;);)

those boards are looking grand, excellent work

Thank you. They're getting there, but there have been moments when I wished I'd chosen to model somewhere in the Fens or the Somerset levels - that would have been a damn sight easier, but ho hum... ;)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I shall be interested to see this. Years ago whilst visiting my Grandparents I cycled from Devizes to Calne to see the railway ( still running) my strongest memory was the smell. Perhaps you should fix a couple of pork pies under the layout to get the right atmosphere. Personally I rather fancy a go at Devizes or Holt junction. Sorry no photos of Calne no camera in those days.

Donw

• Like 2

I had the 'experience' of living in Hilmarton (a couple of miles north or Calne) in the early '70s, and whilst I don't actually remember the smell precisely, I do remember that it was not nice when the wind was in the 'wrong' direction...

Another day out playing trains, thanks to Mark and Witney Euston at Didcot yesterday :D - although not actually directly relevant to the progress of Smokey Bacon, it does serve as useful experience in a) transportability of the layout, b ) operating the layout, c) spares & tools needed (what can go wrong - will...), and d) listen to the experience of others... (see below) ;)

...and lastly...

• Red Bull and Jelly Babies seem like an effective way to kick-start the day :P.

Definitely a big thanks to Mark for allowing me the pleasure of a days playing trains - now looking forward to Didcot even more :D

Suitably equipped we faced the day of serious railway operation...

post-6085-019803900 1287922197_thumb.jpg

Over and above the obvious uses for these essential items, we did find that unopened packets of Jelly Babies make excellent 'buffer stops' for running in/testing loco's off the layout following any changes to their programming...

post-6085-063264400 1287922204_thumb.jpg

...but again, another lesson learnt was that as you eat the Jelly Babies, there comes a critical point where the power/traction of the loco overcomes the stopping effect of the packet... ...oops, just caught that one in time :O!

And, lastly, one final use for the Jelly babies...

post-6085-088554500 1287922779_thumb.jpg

...they made excellent 'loads' for setting random shunting puzzles to amuse the children (operators!) and the young people who came to see the exhibition :P, but I'll let Mark explain about the Jelly Baby Express later....

• Like 4

Well I was pleased to see the photos and that you seemed to have a really great time!! Mind you I am surprised that the jelly babies even made it to the wagons knowing how you like to eat them!!!:rolleyes::rolleyes: Guess if there is more coaches needed then my Christmas list will be growing!! So how is 'Smokey Bacon' going...I expect alot will be done this week with the excuse of having to be home with the kids!!!!! Not that I mind...I just look forward to seeing how much you actually get done :P

If you're having to put babies into wagons, you need to get some more coaches laugh.gif

? it seems to me that screaming babies in the wagons, and passengers in a soundproof coach, could be an eminently sensible way to travel...:D (sorry, I don't do PC!) - even better if the wagons and coaches are on different trains...

I guess it improved traction and prevented the wagons derailing too?...

Yes, another added bonus!

...Mind you I am surprised that the jelly babies even made it to the wagons knowing how you like to eat them!!!:rolleyes::rolleyes: ...

The half dozen in the wagons were the last 'survivors' at the end of the day ;)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Suitably equipped we faced the day of serious railway operation...

As the one guilty of having Red Bull and Jelly Babies spotted back stage by Steve and Mark I would just like to point out that I advocate the healthy option of sugar free Red Bull :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Seriously, hope that Didcot went well - it certainly looks like you approached the business of exhibiting with the right attitude - that of having fun. Hope to see you both at the 2mm island at Warley. Yes, we have an entire block dedicated to 2FS

Jerry

• Like 2

Progress - of a sort... Lots of little tasks in getting the track-bed to a final condition ready for... ...wait for it (drum roll in the back ground!) ... ...actually laying some track :D

It may seem a simple question, but I had concerns over how to fix the printed track plan to the baseboards; PVA is the immediate answer that came to mind but I was uncertain on how this may cause the paper to stretch/distort when wet - there had to be some alternatives?

[Rewind a bit for some background. The intention for the layout track-work is use the 2mm Association Easitrack which can be likened to a form of 'self-assembly' flexitrack. The pointwork is to be built using the Easitrac which entails individual chairs being stuck to ABS sleepers to get the required geometry. I had made the decision to use individual sleepers rather than the milled sleeper base for reasons of economy but recognised that this would be a bit more complex! However the up-side of this was that since curved points had to be built this way, I would develop a consistent construction approach... ...Whilst this may not be a robust as the method of directly soldering the rail to copper clad sleepers, it has the benefit of having the chairs incorporated thus improving the detail. Some soldered track would be needed for power provision and the concreted-in flat bottom rail on one of the siding but this is minimal.]

Having sought the experience and knowledge of both RMweb and the 2mm virtual group, I was astounded by the amount of response and the diversity of suggested solutions - many thanks to all who contributed :D; I now have a way forward which included many good tips...

• Sand and smooth the baseboard surface - ensure that all 'gradients' are removed.
  • Fix the 3mm ply 'track-bed/underlay'.
    • Sand smooth then wet down and sand again (cabinet makers trick to smooth the grain).
    • Seal / prime and sand again.
    • Recheck level / flatness.

[*]When printing final Templot plan, use 'draft mode' to minimise amount of ink on the paper.

• If not needed, don't print sleeper numbers or timber in-fill.

[*]Stick the track-plan down with spray-mount.

• Choose a permanent type - 3M spray mount is permanent but is initially re-positionable... (spray adhesives).

[*]When mounted paper template is dry, fix with 1 or 2 coats of artists acrylic varnish.[*]Finally when all is dried, lightly sand the varnished surface to aid the adhesion for glueing down the sleepers.

The illustration below shows the build-up of layers...

post-6085-026619500 1288359683_thumb.gif

Now that's the theory - I just have to put it into practice! Be back shortly.....

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Watching with baited breath.

Looking at your diagram I have a suggestion to make. From the experience I had with the sculptamold and sanding it down I would suggest that this would have been easier to do before laying the track. Obviously this would have made the laying of the track a little more awkward but in hindsight I feel it was the way that I should have gone especially on the flatter sections.

Thanks for the suggestion Kris

Watching with baited breath.

Looking at your diagram I have a suggestion to make. From the experience I had with the sculptamold and sanding it down I would suggest that this would have been easier to do before laying the track. Obviously this would have made the laying of the track a little more awkward but in hindsight I feel it was the way that I should have gone especially on the flatter sections.

I had considered this, but shelved the idea. I want to get the track and basic electrics sorted before the landscaping; also, the details of the landscape (especially around the private sidings area) are going to be dependent on the buildings (Harris' hangar and the 3 factory buildings etc) and I haven't got beyond the concept stage for these :(. The gross shaping of the build-up of the foam base can be done (but not necessarily fixed) in parallel with the track work but not the final skimming with sculptamold. That said, I am aware that I'll have to be careful when mixing 'wet' activities with the electrics.... :P

...lastly, and possibly more most importantly, SWMBO wants to get involved in the scenic work so I don't dare get too far into it without her involvement...:O

With this week being half-term, I was invaded by a swarm of locusts (translates to 2 growing teenagers...); whilst escaping to the garage to avoid the sounds of the X-box, guitars, Hi-Fi etc was a frequently used option, occasionally I had to prise them away from the electronic paradise they call their room! After several days of excessive feeding - my definition, but not necessarily theirs - it felt that they needed to get out and have some exercise... ...a perfect excuse for a walk around the old railway :D.

I have this recollection that when I was (age unknown) approximately 3ft tall, my Dad would schedule the family holidays near some railway landmarks that he needed pictures of... ... good idea methinks, so having measured the appropriate son, off we went to 'shoot' the landscape... Looking specifically at the gully and culverts (on board 3 - which has the easiest scenic profile):

First task, north side - one son to take the picture (well it was down a steep slope into a stream...), second son as the measure...

post-6085-018063500 1288371544_thumb.jpg

...with a known height of 5"9' I can now scale the culvert where the stream exits,

post-6085-006108900 1288371556_thumb.jpg

Second task - south side entry culvert...

post-6085-097205700 1288371566_thumb.jpg

...at which point No2 son started to question why he seemed to be the one always standing in the stream...

post-6085-002692400 1288371578_thumb.jpg

This was actually a repeat of a series of photos that I had taken back in July, but following a minor technical hitch (OK I was having a stupid moment) I managed to delete the folder of pictures, and the backup... :(. There is very little (nothing really) left of the Station, but regular visits (before the developers put another housing estate on the site) have given me a good mental picture of the topology of the surrounds; this gives a basis to understand the landscape that pictures of the station depict.

• Like 2