peter k kits

I bought a Peter K North London 4-4-0 kit at Scaleforum (PK2/82 which I see is still available) in the late eighties just before moving to the States - luckily I picked up a Portescap motor, replacement gearbox sides and P4 wheels at the same time. I had several attempts at making it over the years - not a good example to pick for my first etched kit! However I persevered and eventually, after building a few simpler kits, managed to complete it. The suspension system - two beams for the drivers with front support on the compensated bogie - works very well. I used Gibson plunger pickups on the drivers but eventually had to add some wipers on the bogie wheels as well even though all wheels are always on the track. Perhaps it wasn't heavy enough! Anyway, the only part missing from the kit was the cab floor so I fabricated one from brass which included the rear driver splashers. Here's a couple of pics. Definitely not a beginner's kit but makes up to a fine model of a very unusual prototype that Bachmann or Hornby would never even contemplate.....look at that beautiful North London chimney!

I bought a Peter K North London 4-4-0 kit at Scaleforum (PK2/82 which I see is still available) in the late eighties just before moving to the States - luckily I picked up a Portescap motor, replacement gearbox sides and P4 wheels at the same time. I had several attempts at making it over the years - not a good example to pick for my first etched kit! However I persevered and eventually, after building a few simpler kits, managed to complete it. The suspension system - two beams for the drivers with front support on the compensated bogie - works very well. I used Gibson plunger pickups on the drivers but eventually had to add some wipers on the bogie wheels as well even though all wheels are always on the track. Perhaps it wasn't heavy enough! Anyway, the only part missing from the kit was the cab floor so I fabricated one from brass which included the rear driver splashers. Here's a couple of pics. Definitely not a beginner's kit but makes up to a fine model of a very unusual prototype that Bachmann or Hornby would never even contemplate.....look at that beautiful North London chimney!

Very nice model. I scratch built one 30years or so ago.A friend turned the chimney and dome for me. Also did the same in 7mm which was sold at a trains galore auction in London.was given a started peter k kit and found scratch building was simpler apart from chimney and dome.again a very good model of a nice looking loco

• RMweb Premium

I have the Peter K kit for the Furness sharpie I wasn't getting on with it very well so I showed it to Dave Carter an experienced builder/designer of kits he wasn't impressed. It and its P4 wheels are somewhere under the pile of 'stuff'.

That depends on someone being able to get hold of the owner.

and the owner being keener on seeing the kits continue to be produced as opposed to believing it is some enormous retirement fund.

and, of course, finding a new owner that is interested, has the relevant skills, business and knowledge to make a go of it.

We don't need reminding of all the kit ranges where the intention has been there but the rebirth has been lacking.

Kit design has moved on. Some of these kits were esoteric and therefore not exactly hot sellers. Modellers are now far more critical than in the past and expect better products. They are old kits of old design and perhaps just best left alone. (except if you find one that has been kept as part of someone's stock of kits for a rainy day that are now part of an estate/downsizing being sold off on ebay)

I've always likes this rather esoteric range of these kits, even though they had their errors and were a bit sparse on instructions. They remain hard to find, but turn up on eBay from time to time - usually attracting sizable bids!  

For my own interest I have compiled a list of all known Peter K kits - as attached. If you know of any additions or can add further details, please let me know and I will upload a revised list.

attachicon.gifPeter K Models (4mm list - simplified) .doc

This may well be a waste of time if the website reappears, but just to add to the list, I have got in the loft:

GER - Bread Van - International Open - Wool Wagon

GCR - Covered carriage truck

HR - Covered carriage truck

LBSCR - Butter van - Stroudley D2 0-4-2

Unfortunately I haven't got the relevant code numbers to hand, assuming that they are visible on the etches.

Others I am aware of include the GNoSR Horsebox,  GWR Steam railmotor, GER Dining car set.  There was also a large range of ECJS 12 wheeled carriages, including a dining car, and a number of Royal Mail vans from various lines.  There was also the parallel Kemilway range, largely intended as complete 7mm kits, but the etches were available for 4mm modellers.  Mainly a wide variety of GNR coaches, with, as I recall, an NER bogie full brake.

One of the problems with the range was the wide difference in quality between some of the early kits, with poor design and hand drawn artwork, compared with some of the later ones, which may have come from different draftsmen.  The GWR 1361 kit was well received, at least by Iain Rice, and the LBSCR D2 has been successfully turned into a working model, as Burgundy can demonstrate, and even came with instructions, even if almost impossible to follow! Prices charged were the same regardless; the "challenging" Stroudley single costing the same as the D2.  You only found out whether you had the makings of a silk purse, or a sow's ear, once you had coughed up your money and waited for the parcel to arrive.

It didn't help that the website didn't seem to know what was what.  The LBSC butter van is extremely basic, 2 sides, 2 ends and the solebars, yet this was described in the same terms as the CCT etchings which have full w-irons, brake gear and infinitely more detail, although still without instructions or castings.

Neither did his pricing policy do him any favours.  Nearly £20 for the abysmal butter van, yet in his special deals the better ones could be had for £6 or so.  A sensible mid-price might have brought him more business, or at least more sales from me.

I have the Peter K kit for the Furness sharpie I wasn't getting on with it very well so I showed it to Dave Carter an experienced builder/designer of kits he wasn't impressed. It and its P4 wheels are somewhere under the pile of 'stuff'.

I had two, but after careful study of the etches and the list of faults with the kits that came from this forum I sold them both, The bits that were wrong out numbered the good bits, and many of those good bits didn't suit my prototype locos so I was going to end up scratchbuilding most of it anyway! 

There were 2 versions at least of this kit, I had one of each. 

The "K" Class Manning Wardle was also a Rod Neep design, but it is not without its faults - a firebox wrapper that goes up one side, over the top then ends part way down the other side being one that comes readily to mind.  Another is a bunker that only has three sides, the missing one being the tricky-to-scratchbuild "Omega-loop" shaped front sheet between the bunker and the cab.

I was interested to read CKPR's comments about the Sharps Goods, too, as I've got one that's been waiting in the wings for a while.  I'm told the footplate is over-length and needs shortening, while the cab is over-scale and needs replacing.  Mike Peascod, Furness Railway expert and first-class modeller, once told me he considers the kit too poor to be worth building!

Another thing I've been told is that Peter K rarely builds any of his kits, so is not in a position to write any instructions!

I have 2 Furness Sharpies from Peter K: Original and first rebuild. The chassis is indeed hopeless so I used Alan Gibson frames but the rest of it is fine, if you overlook the lack of instructions. I have the parts for a 3rd Sharpie, to be 2nd rebuild, These are fine models, so I would say they are worth building with the above caveats

• 7 months later...

Does anyone here have access to a copy of the instructions for Peter's 'Hesperus'? I sent him the money for one about five years ago...nothing. Lo! and Behold! eBay had one so I bought it...alas, sans instructions...

I can work out most of it, but, be fair, the old git isn't as sharp as he was so some instructions would go well...

A scan and emailed to me via PM would work best...

Many thanks!

Best,

Marcus

Archived