peter k kits

I made an attempt to order some Peter K parts a while ago but was put off thanks to some of the comments on this thread. It seems I may have made the right choice.

After several attempts to make contact I eventually got hold of somebody on the phone to be told that I had to pay in full up front and that the items I wanted would be etched as and when there were sufficient orders to make it worthwhile. When pressed on how long this might be, I was told that it was down to the demand for a particular item but typical waiting times were around 8 weeks. We got as far as me giving an email address for him to request the funds via "paypal" but no request ever came and having read the thread after making the call, I was going to knock it on the head anyway.

The strange thing was that some of the things I wanted were in a half price "sale" suggesting too much stock and a desire to shift some but even these had to be etched to order.

I appreciate that many small suppliers are part time and have day jobs etc. and I am delighted that we have so many in the hobby but 4 years is a bit beyond a joke!

It is a great shame as there are some unusual and highly interesting products on the website.

As per a previous post of mine, I think you've done the right thing ( which is both sad and annoying).

I cancelled my order after a wait of about three months and despite many open promises nothing ever materialised !

Following on from this I eventually managed to get a full refund in the form if a personal cheque.

Whilst I understand the small suppliers situations I'm of the firm opinion that the web site is slightly misleading and the way in which the business is carried out leaves a great deal to be desired. It's a real pity because there are many useful and sometimes obscure items which would suit my era of modelling.

I gave up trying to deal with him by conventional means so tried a different method and got my daughter to phone him, asking about Cambrian carriages with an "I want a present for my father.  What have you got in stock?" approach.  A week later my kit arrived, but even that system wasn't without its problems.

His P&P charges are astronomical, yet my kit was packed in a jiffy bag that had already been recycled many times over, was already in the final stages of disintegration and probably only cost a tenth of what he charged her to send it to me.

• RMweb Premium

Don't hold your breath.  "Peter K" and "instructions" are two terms that should never be used in the same sentence.

I've got four (or is it five?) of his kits and only one set of instructions between them.

I now feel smug I only bought one kit and it had instructions, history and castings. Still never going to buy another ever...................

Another update...

Just for kicks and giggles I sent him an email asking...again...about aforementioned missing goodies several days ago (optimism is my weakness...). Not a peep. Go figure...

Which leaves me disappointed as he does ('allegedly') carry a lot of interesting GER rolling stock. It would seem to be easier to wander down to Stratford and measure one...

Best,

Marcus

Its all about patience, I ordered a GNoS Horse Box (and paid for it) that took best part of 2 years to arrive. Since then I have had two LNER Mail Coaches that took a few months to arrive and a couple of GNR coaches that took nearly a year. If you want certain models badly enough you would be prepared to wait, most modellers have more than enough kits in their to do pile to keep them going in the interim.

All I will say is that the models being in many cases of unusual prototypes are worth waiting for, particularly wagons (PeterK range) and the LNER/GNR coaches which are of exceptional quality and design with an abundance of detail parts on the frets not found on many (if any) other etch coach kits.

I would recomend placing your order paying for the kits and sit back and wait, you will not be dissapointed.

SteveT

Its all about patience, I ordered a GNoS Horse Box (and paid for it) that took best part of 2 years to arrive. ...

If you really want to learn (try?) patience, try ordering something from Brimalm Engineering in Sweden. I'm informed that five years' wait is not unknown, and it does beg the question of whether customers have ever kicked the bucket whilst waiting for the model......

I bought a Peter K North London 4-4-0 kit at Scaleforum (PK2/82 which I see is still available) in the late eighties just before moving to the States - luckily I picked up a Portescap motor, replacement gearbox sides and P4 wheels at the same time. I had several attempts at making it over the years - not a good example to pick for my first etched kit! However I persevered and eventually, after building a few simpler kits, managed to complete it. The suspension system - two beams for the drivers with front support on the compensated bogie - works very well. I used Gibson plunger pickups on the drivers but eventually had to add some wipers on the bogie wheels as well even though all wheels are always on the track. Perhaps it wasn't heavy enough! Anyway, the only part missing from the kit was the cab floor so I fabricated one from brass which included the rear driver splashers. Here's a couple of pics. Definitely not a beginner's kit but makes up to a fine model of a very unusual prototype that Bachmann or Hornby would never even contemplate.....look at that beautiful North London chimney!

post-7723-0-32473900-1406818143_thumb.jpg

post-7723-0-01862800-1406818205.jpg

• 3 months later...

I've built and modified two of the Furness / Cambrian 'sharpie' 0-6-0s and these are probably the poorest models in the Peter K range with hand-drawn artwork  (!), a bizarre chassis design and  no instructions. That said, if you substitute Alan Gibson parts for the loco chassis and engage in a fair bit of filing, then a really nice model can be made. I've still got an un-made kit in the drawer and I'll probably just use the parts for the tender as this is the strongest part of the kit.

Some at least of his kits were designed by others. Perhaps all were? I seem to remember the GWR 1384 kit was designed by Rod Neep, for example and is quite buildable (though I've not finished mine...).

I concur with most of the rest of the comments made on this thread.

Richard

The situation re: Peter K and Kemilway stock has been uncertain for a long time. Last time I saw any physical stuff was in 2004/5...!

My wife managed to get half a dozen 7mm GNR coaches from him last year. There was a few months wait but it was for a significant birthday and they are worth it.

Some at least of his kits were designed by others. Perhaps all were? I seem to remember the GWR 1384 kit was designed by Rod Neep, for example and is quite buildable (though I've not finished mine...).

The "K" Class Manning Wardle was also a Rod Neep design, but it is not without its faults - a firebox wrapper that goes up one side, over the top then ends part way down the other side being one that comes readily to mind.  Another is a bunker that only has three sides, the missing one being the tricky-to-scratchbuild "Omega-loop" shaped front sheet between the bunker and the cab.

I was interested to read CKPR's comments about the Sharps Goods, too, as I've got one that's been waiting in the wings for a while.  I'm told the footplate is over-length and needs shortening, while the cab is over-scale and needs replacing.  Mike Peascod, Furness Railway expert and first-class modeller, once told me he considers the kit too poor to be worth building!

Another thing I've been told is that Peter K rarely builds any of his kits, so is not in a position to write any instructions!

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Premium

Just to bring this old topic back to life, I looked at the Kemilway/Peter K website and it is "temporarily suspended".

I have had a quick look around the internet to see if there is any information about whether they are still around but found nothing.

Have they gone?

Just to bring this old topic back to life, I looked at the Kemilway/Peter K website and it is "temporarily suspended".

I have had a quick look around the internet to see if there is any information about whether they are still around but found nothing.

Have they gone?

I would say so, last years emails in an effort to purchase some etches went unanswered and I was not alone in that vein. 

I've always likes this rather esoteric range of these kits, even though they had their errors and were a bit sparse on instructions. They remain hard to find, but turn up on eBay from time to time - usually attracting sizable bids!  

For my own interest I have compiled a list of all known Peter K kits - as attached. If you know of any additions or can add further details, please let me know and I will upload a revised list.

Peter K Models (4mm list - simplified) .doc

Edit 31/3/2016: Full Peter K list (more than on my list) on the Kemilway website is now up and running again: http://www.kemilway.com/peter-k.html

Just noticed this thread. All I can say was that the Peter K kit of 1384 was the second etched kit I purchased and I was really impressed with it. The first was a Mallard Models kit of a GWR 517 class 0-4-2T and I couldn't get on with the etched NS overlays with the rivet detail that were supposed to be sweated on to the main body. The Peter K kit relied on the rivets being punched through from the back, far simpler, especially with an automatic centre punch (is that the right description?) which could be set to give the same impact for each rivet. The prototype would not appear to be particularly easy to build as a kit but I found it went together remarkably well. If it was by Rod Neep (as etched kit number 3 was, the Puffers 48xx) this would explain it. A photo of the model can be found on my Blagdon blog.

The only problem I found, and it wasn't the fault of the kit, was that the tiny dimensions of the prototype coupled with a very open cab meant it was very difficult to fit in motor and gears and arranging the pick ups was also quite a challenge.

As other have pointed out, the esoteric nature of the prototypes chosen is very appealing and I hope that someone can take over the range. We do perhaps forget that these kits were first produced many years ago, on my model of 1384 Larry Goddard has noted the painting date as 1981. Those who produced and marketed these kits must now be looking at,and entitled to, retirement. What is of real concern is that going forward there does not seem to be the choice of kits we had 30 plus years ago; let's hope we're not going to be restricted to the offerings of Bachman etc. as we're never going to see the prototypes that were produced by Peter Dawson.

Archived