Drummond Paddlebox

DLT

• RMweb Premium

"Heres One I Made Earlier" - Drummond T14 "Paddlebox"

by dltaylor

original page on Old RMweb

??? posted on Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:38 pm

Quite a few years ago I built a Drummond T14 class 460 "Paddlebox" in 00 for a friend. The starting point was a Nu-Cast Kit, built pretty much as intended. Gibson wheels were driven by a Portescap RG4 (the short one, 1616 motor) with the motor sitting vertically in the firebox and driving on the centre axle.

An awkward loco to model, with the valve-rods above footplate level and the combining lever passing through the footplate, the kit was quite well designed and didnt give any major headaches. I fitted Gibson Plunger pickups on the drivers, and managed to get wiper pickups on all the tender wheels. Power was carried to the loco by a split drawbar, made from circuitboard.

My friend had thought the valve-gear would be beyond him, but quite honestly it all went together pretty well. The most fiddly bit was the brakegear, but I often find that to be the case.

The whitemetal castings were fine on the whole, in particular the one-piece smokebox/cylinder unit, with all that riviting, was superb; giving the loco its highly distinctive look.

I re-discovered these photos recently, (they are a scanned 6x4" prints) and posted them because the T14 is a rarely modelled loco.

It was the last and most successful (relatively speaking) of an unsuccessful line of 4-cylinder 460 classes designed by Drummond for the LSWR. That he never really made the jump to designing bigger locos is shown by his reverting to building his highly successful 2-cylinder 440s shortly before his sudden death.

Hope this is of interest,

Dave.T

file.php?id=105766

file.php?id=105767

file.php?id=105768

file.php?id=105769

Comment posted by max stafford on Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:43 pm

Excellent work. I love the smokebox arrangement on these - it's rather reminiscent of the old Prussian State Railways designs.

Dave.

Comment posted by Coachmann on Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:53 pm

Excellent, squarely built, level footplate and I imagine a delight for someone to paint and line out.

I always had a high regard for Bill Stotts NuCast kits.

Larry

??? posted on Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:07 am

Hi Larry

I was looking forward to doing a nice paint job and some lining on this model, but my friend wanted it plain black with Sunshine lettering, as he remembered them post-war. I'm fairly sure that in this Maunsell modified form, they were only ever plain black.

I'm afraid I don't rise to your painting standards, it was sprayed with Halfords satin and matt black, with PC Models lettering. It would look a lot better with blackened motion, but at the time I dont think I had discovered metal blacking

As you say, it was a very good kit for its time, I did a few little modifications, mostly to the tender I think (it was a long time ago) Even the boiler fittings looked good, often a weak point in whitemetal kits. Having said that, from the photos it looks as though the chimney has been bashed, I've only just noticed that!

Dave, I'll have to take your word for the similarity, I'm totally unfamiliar with Prussian locos!

Anyone else built one of these beasts?

Cheers,

Dave.T

file.php?id=105872

file.php?id=105873

file.php?id=105874

file.php?id=105875

file.php?id=105877

file.php?id=105876

Comment posted by OFFTHE RAILS on Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:14 am

Yes, this excellent model is of the T14 as rebuilt by Urie or Maunsell, not the original Drummond T14 "Paddlebox".

Ian

Comment posted by Re6/6 on Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:49 am

More discussion here: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=27598&hilit=paddlebox&start=25

John 'Metropolitan' built a nice one.

Comment posted by Horsetan on Sat Oct 03, 2009 11:14 am

max stafford wrote:

Excellent work. I love the smokebox arrangement on these - it's rather reminiscent of the old Prussian State Railways designs.

Aha. Think I know what you mean. The Bavarian S3/6 and Baden IVh Pacifics had this "one wrapper for cylinders and smokebox" appearance.

??? posted on Sat Oct 03, 2009 11:19 am

Re6/6 wrote:

More discussion here:

John 'Metropolitan' built a nice one.

Thanks very much, I've had a quick skim and it looks great. Will have a better look later.

Dave.

• 4 years later...

Nice to see one built, I made the masters and  drew the etchings for both versions, I wanted to have some parts lost-wax but the budget did not allow it. Unfortunately they were a commercial disaster....

Archived