What Varnish do you use?

Guest TomTank

Guest TomTank

Morning all

I would be interested to know what varnish you chaps use.

I generally use for modelling, Matt Humbrol Varnish, but as has been said by others, you can get a frost like effect that ruins the detail.

So I would be interested what other sprays are out there that are more suitable :)

Cheers

tom

Guest TomTank

Hullo, Tom,

For what purpose are you wanting to varnish something? I use a variety of things for different purposes,

Doug

Hi Doug

Really I'm just referring to the scalescenes kits. Something that doesn't leave the frosted glaze that the Humbrol ones do.

Cheers

Tom

Hullo, Tom,

If you want to preserve weathering work etc then Tony's suggestion is spot on, if expensive. I use hobby store acrylic stuff or car stuff and apply in 2-3 very light coats to avoid 'frosting' but be aware that some printer inks can take on a greenish tinge. I have messed up a roof this way, [Epson ink, which other wise is pretty tough and takes watercolour weathering without running] but have found that a light coat of Lidl W5 water-proofer spray sold for suede shoes, anoraks etc applied as soon as the sheets come out of the printer prevents this. [About £2-£3 a tin]

I also spray it into the lid and apply it generously with a brush to the lower edges of platforms etc or wherever there is a chance of moisture from ballasting seeping into the card model alongside.

To prevent window glaze from being over sprayed I cut out and insert bits of post-it notes.

Hope this helps,

Doug

Tom,

I tried the Windsor & Newton Matt Varnish first but discovered that it made the ink jet printing go whitish after it dried. After the event I think I found a comment to that effect somewhere on John's website.

Since then I've tried Daler-Rowney Perfix Colourless Fixative for Pastels ( I got it from Hobbycraft ) and that doesn't alter the colours from my inkjet at all.

Dave

Tom,

I tried the Windsor & Newton Matt Varnish first but discovered that it made the ink jet printing go whitish after it dried. After the event I think I found a comment to that effect somewhere on John's website.

Since then I've tried Daler-Rowney Perfix Colourless Fixative for Pastels ( I got it from Hobbycraft ) and that doesn't alter the colours from my inkjet at all.

Dave

My only thoughts on some of these high-end 'fixitives' is that they 'fix', i.e. stabilise powder and crayon surfaces, but do they waterproof the surface too? It may be nice to know that a fine-art pastel drawing in 40 different delicate shades will not be discoloured, have U.V. protection and be of archival quality, but how many such pictures are glued down next to next to ballasting operations, picked up by the printed surface etc etc?

I'm not knocking the idea, just concerned that we need a sou'wester and raincoat for our model buildings,not cashmere shawls...?

Doug

Sorry no guarantees about it’s waterproof / showerproof ness.

I may do a little test next weekend if I get time. I’ve not noticed any issues from when I’ve been spraying water for the ballast but I haven’t looked that closely, the 'fixed' area isn't in the most accessible part of my layout.

Worried now !!! :(

How many coats of varnish would people recommend? And do you varnish every sheet or just the print only one's?

Generally the 'Print only' sheets are the ones that benefit the most from a couple of light coats of matt spray varnish as the elements on these sheets usually get wrapped around corners and folded. Personally though I would apply varnish over all the sheets (obviously not the 'base layers' sections) prior to cutting out or starting construction, much easier and will protect the print surface during construction.

If you are planning to weather the models with scrapped pastels, chalks or weathering powders then a matt surface will also greatly aid adhesion.

It sounds obvious, but always test the which ever spray you use on a scrap of print first to make sure it doesn't adversely effect your ink or toner.

• 6 months later...

I have asked some advise for wheatering materials and a good varnish in an large shop for art materials.I showed for what purpose, i want to use it.He recommended an universal varnish with an uv filter.Also usable for farnishing your finished model after wheatering.

A varnish for pastels may demage the colour of your model after a time.

I don't know if they have such a product in the UK, but the information is I hope usefull.

Job

Hi Guys

Whilst at the Scalescenes stand at Warley I spoke with another visitor who recommended the following from 7dayshop.com

Ghiant Aerosol - Inkjet Fixative/Varnish Spray 300ml -

I have used this company many times and they are first class suppliers.

Dave

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I use Vallejo matt acrylic spray varnish which works well on all mediums. I don't know if it'll prevent damage to slugs or snails indoors though, I keep mine outside ... :thankyou:

Hi Paul,

Do you have a source of supply for the Vallejo product, please?

Capt., I've just found out my original source is another retail casualty, however a quick google search found this list which may help

http://www.creativem...ufacturers_id=3

brgds

Don't know about the currency of this site - they're offering pre-ordering for the 2010 catalogue and listing a model shop that closed over 3 years ago.

Archived