Slaters PO Wagons

Hello all.

I'm building a Slaters kit for a PO wagon-one of these-(http://www.lbscr.demon.co.uk/models/wagons/DS-photos/Thomas-Meakins.jpg)On the instructions it says they would normally have brake gear on one side only, which is fine.If this is so ,would it still have the V-hanger on the non-brake side or should it be cut off?

Thanks in advance

Jamie

My layout is set in 1910 so I'm assuming the wagon to be in pretty much original condition.As for the boltheads,there doesn't seem to be any so I may have to ADD some on the brake side.

Yes, the requirement for either side brakes wasn't formulated until 1911 – and many wagons were scrapped in the '20s and even into the '30s without ever receiving the second set.

From memory the outer V-hanger in the Slater's kit incorporates the necessary bolt heads.

Richard

Yes, for your period one set of brake gear should be adequate for most POs. I am actually removing the second set from some of mine as I think I have been too generous in the past!

One point to watch is that with a single set of brakes the handle is usually (right handed) towards the fixed end. (Where there is one fixed end and one end door that is.) Mentioning this because it's a mistake I have made! And felt rather stupid about.

Thanks for all your replies.The offending articles have now been lopped off.Thanks for the tip about the fixed ends Poggy, something I never knew.Luckily it doesn't apply to this wagon as it has two fixed ends and a side door.

Jamie

Archived