Peak rail at Matlock

Michael Delamar

thanks lmnp

I believe the track may be laid without a possession, ie a plastic fence put up between the 2 running lines and contractors lay sleepers and rail without interfearing with east midlands trains, although we'll have to wait and see.

.....also has an interesting statement on how this will affect plans to re-open the line in the future

As equivocal as a foreign policy statement.

"....detailed discussions would need to be held about the compatibility of trains and cycling so that a suitable way forward could be found...."

Single line only at best, then?

Why has the railway line not opened before?

In June 2004 an in-depth feasibility study carried out by Derbyshire County Council and partners, including the national park authority, looked at the issue of re-opening the line, but it concluded that the £100 million cost of the project would be too great for the foreseeable future.

A euphemism for "you'll be lucky". And they seem to imply that Peak Rail (whose existence they don't mention) will not achieve any meaningful extension by 2019.

I think that figure quoted was for a network rail re-instatement.

Peak rail would make there presence felt more once they reach the peak park at Bakewell. from then on its similar to most other preserved line reopening which can be achieved with normal volunteer labour etc.

but to get there, there is the problem of 3 missing bridges one which requires a lot of planning with regard the now raised main a6 road below,, a viaduct, a tunnel and haddon estates land objections.

that section, from Rowsley 2nd station to Bakewell would make peak rails line twice the length it is now

quick go at what theyre planning next.

they have the lease for this 1 mile extension and station site, but I think they are working on planning permission.

the original station was a beautiful station and they hope to try and recreate that.

rowsleymap.jpg

I went down to Matlock station on Saturday to take a look at the progress so far. There doesn't appear to have been any work done at all.

These pictures should give a good idea of the task awaiting the volunteers. It's going to be such a boost for the town once they get this project finished and we get steam trains into this station.

Once they achieve that, it should raise the public awareness of the railway, as it is a bit out of the way at the moment. I've certainly had friends come into the town to see me who had no idea Peak Rail existed.

post-644-0-53211500-1304881196_thumb.jpg

post-644-0-42521500-1304881204_thumb.jpg

"The Rail Touring Company notified Peak Rail on Friday 6th May 2011 that the rail tour which was scheduled for Sunday 22nd May 2011 had been cancelled due to insufficient stock being available to them on this date.

Issued on behalf of the board of Directors of Peak Rail plc

Claire Statham

Commercial Manager"

• RMweb Gold

yes theyre business is the nice quiet peaceful pride and prejudice type of setting

they dont want noise and smoke spoiling it

Well it's hardly likely to spoil the house (which is on top of a tunnel of course) but they operate - according to their website - a large and diverse country business and presumably they neither want easy access between estate farms and land disrupted nor do they want other aspects of their business disturbed (which might also explain why they had bridges demolished - presumably they own the former trackbed in places as well?

Well it's hardly likely to spoil the house (which is on top of a tunnel of course) but they operate - according to their website - a large and diverse country business and presumably they neither want easy access between estate farms and land disrupted nor do they want other aspects of their business disturbed (which might also explain why they had bridges demolished - presumably they own the former trackbed in places as well?

They acquired the track bed of the line in the mid 80s as it was their legal right to buy it, as this clause would have been put in the Act of Parliament for the line. The bridges were knocked down as they would have taken over the responsibility of the keeping them up. The third bridge was listed before it was knocked down.

I assume they'll be laying track in Matlock station soon Mike! :P

..................................I do apologise, I do understand the intent of your question really Mike! :D Thanks for all you're updates BTW, both on here and Nat Pres!

Best Wishes, Paul

no connection with me, Im just an enthusiast, looking forward to seeing the line extend which I have for many years.

I just pester the ones doing it to give us some info but I think they are not allowed to tell by the management.

they just say itll be done soon.

nice pic of Lord Phil, I like austerities when they are restored like this.

http://www.flickr.co...in/photostream/

Archived