Peco Wonderfull Wagons

I was just wondering if all those colourfull liveries that Peco applied to their card Wonderfull Wagon series were accurate or fictional? Particulary the 'Bass' van. These always fascinated me when I was a lad but I've never seen them used.

(Perhaps this should be in 'Collectable/Vintage?)

• RMweb Gold

I've been collecting these for many years, as far as I know they are authentic (except for the Charles and Diana wedding souvenir open wagon).

Many of the liveries were described in a long running series on Private Owner wagons in the old Model Railway News during the 60s.

A number of breweries in the Burton area had their own vans, though in general private owner vans were much less common than the coal merchant/colliery opens.

I am sure that somewhere I have seen a photo in a book of a train of beer vans (either Bass or Worthington) but I cannot at present find it. I know Allsopps had their own vans. Bass definitely had grain hoppers in their latter years.

I imagine that the series of books by Peter Matthews would throw more light on the subject.

Hope this is some help.

David

I was just wondering if all those colourfull liveries that Peco applied to their card Wonderfull Wagon series were accurate or fictional? Particulary the 'Bass' van. These always fascinated me when I was a lad but I've never seen them used.

(Perhaps this should be in 'Collectable/Vintage?)

Hello ive always wondered that they do make a nice colourfull train tho:D

I believe the liveries are reasonably authentic – though I've never been able to compare one of the kits with its actual prototype. You can be certain that the livery is more authentic than the wagon to which it's applied!

Richard

The liveries are probably authentic, but not necessarily for the wagon they are applied to.

The 3 plank wagons are all incorrect, for example. The only 3 plank open with diagonal bracing was a GWR design which was different from the Peco one. Even the number is incorrect IIRC.

The van appears to be based on a GWR design (ignoring the lack of L strapping and the flat ventilators), so probably incorrect for a P.O. van. The Colman's Mustard van is very attractive though. I have seen a photo of the livery on a mineral wagon, but not on a van, though Hornby did one in the twenties (not that this means anything!).

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the replies.

I'm going to semi-stratchbuild a van using some Peco 'Bass' card overlays on a plasticard body. I'm not looking to make an accurate model, rather a fun project between more serious modelling.

If you really want to make it look like an original Peco wagon it might be worth ringing Peco to see if they still have the chassis kits in stock - they certainly had some not so long ago, they also still sell the plastic roof from the van kits.

David

The wagons are easy to find, with worn/damaged/badly assembled bodies, at swapmeets etc. Any of the later series will do as a donor, as the van used the open wagon casting with a plastic extension (easily made up from card or plastic) for the upper body. Add the roof and it's all done. The early ones had a wooden body, but could still be used with a complete new body.

Archived