Bachmann Decoder 36-558

250BOB

Hi Guys,

I have bought one of these mini Bachmann 6 pin 36-558 decoders, along with the associated harness for me to plug it into.

I then fitted it into a couple of my 00 gauge locos, as it says it is suitable for both 00 and N.

Both locos performed the same, in that it took until approx notch 16 of 126 before it jumped into life, straight to a scale speed of about 15/20mph.....unnaceptable in the extreme. BUT, when I then slowly reduced the notches, it did reduce the speed acceptably, right down to about notch 4, when it eventually stopped.

The locos had previously both performed perfectly with Lenz Standard decoders, and did so again when re fitted with same.

Are these 36-558 decoders not up to the task of controlling 00 locos.

Bob

• RMweb Gold

Depends on a few parameters Bob.

The motor will not be able to move the loco until it's overcome the rolling resistance, once rolling it will then accelerate to the true speed for the power, it will be fully controllable once moving - the mechanics explains the symptoms you have seen.

What you need is a decoder you can tweak to control some of these, not sure if the one you describe has the relevant CVs but start voltage is a good one to use to briefly kick the loco into motion - see what the manual says.

Read the manual with the decoder (yes, its cryptic in the extreme). In the manual are some motor parameters (CV's 210-216 if I remember correctly). Those control the motor behaviour. That is where to start tuning.

If needing a manual with better writing, look on Soundtraxx website and follow their general guides to setting up motors. You probably won't find this decoder on the website, but the motor parameters are the same as Soundtraxx' sound chips.

- Nigel

• RMweb Gold

What you need is a decoder you can tweak to control some of these, not sure if the one you describe has the relevant CVs but start voltage is a good one to use to briefly kick the loco into motion - see what the manual says.

Requoted as the first one appears to be invisible :rolleyes:

Hi Bob

I have used the same installation that you describe with some 00 locos and have obtained satisfactory performance with them.

As mentioned above it is simply a case of tweaking some of the relevant CVs Particularly start voltage CV 2 ,until performance is OK

As a matter of interest what locos have you installed them in??

• RMweb Gold

Bob,

this decoder supports speed curves only, a fully user configurable one or presets.

Use my CV29 calculator (click to download) (or others ) to ensure the "use speed table" option is selected.

Then CV25 can be programmed with a value between 3 and 15 (the default is 0, which is a straight line, if you need to reset it)

Log curves are values 3-9, this is where the power is applied quickly, exponential curves are values 10-15, where the power is applied slowly. Try a value of 6 and see what happens ... if it's improved it, try 5 and 7 and see if they are any better, bit of a pain but possibly worth the gain. If 6 doesn't work try 12 but I think the log curves are what you need.

Hi Bob

I have used the same installation that you describe with some 00 locos and have obtained satisfactory performance with them.

As mentioned above it is simply a case of tweaking some of the relevant CVs Particularly start voltage CV 2 ,until performance is OK

As a matter of interest what locos have you installed them in??

I bought one to test it out.....have not permanently fitted one as yet, but tested in Heljan D5323 and a Hornby Black 5 which is about 5 years old but DCC ready.

Bob

Archived