Roco BR243 haulage test

Taigatrommel

Last month Andi Dell (Dagworth) had his layout up for a few days, and it gave me the opportunity to give a new aquisition a test. It just had a Bachmann 3 function decoder chucked in, and we put every road worthy mk3 in a rake, plus a couple of buffets so the punters wouldn't have to walk too far. The loco proved incredibly sure footed, and no wonder- it's a weighty little beast, and has all wheel drive plus traction tyres.

Actually more impressive was a pair of 87s with Lenz silvers in them, and it was possible to watch the load compensation (Back EMF) do its work- IIRC Andi just ramped the speed to full, and the decoders simply did the driving- the train crawled up the grades as the decoders prevented wheelslip. They still didn't have the guts of my solo Trabbi though!

The haulage capacity of these things is prodigious !!

Some years ago I was lucky enough to be able to have a evenings operation on the HUGE layout at the Tavyside modelshop in Okehampton. In anticipation of this, I took several ROCO engines, Class 143, 232 etc... plus my collection of 52 HUPAC wagons (diecast bodies etc....) and each ROCO loco just walked away in turn with this enormous train as if it wasn't really there - superb !

• RMweb Gold

Actually, I'm more interested in that level crossing. You have any more info on it? What make are the barriers and mechanism? Weinert or Brawa or somesuch? Looks really nice.

Barriers are scratch with the aid of an etch from Shawplan to my design. Drive for the barriers is RC servos.

For a limited time the demu forum topic that has a lot more details of the barrier construction is open to non demu members. http://www.demu.org.uk/forum/index.php/topic,9221.0.html

Nice clip Rich, shame about the pop-up gothrolleyes.gif

Andi

• RMweb Gold

Hi Rick and Andi,

Nice clip there showing the qualities of Roco locosicon_drool.gif - but how on earth did you get all those coaches to traverse your layout, assuming they're coupled with tension locks!?!? Or maybe you use another coupling system?

Cheers,

John E.

All the coaches carry body mounted Kadees. Curves are 5ft radius which helps.

Andi

Archived