DCC and old hornby HM2000 system....

class"66"

• RMweb Premium

The biggest problem is that the DC and DCC mustn't touch. I hear that the controllers do nasty things to each other.

It would be best if you could put them on separate layouts; failing that, you might be able to design a layout with a double track loop -- no crossovers -- so that the DC is on one track and the DCC on the other.

Rather than trying to use 2 systems and risk possible problems why not have a go at chipping the older loco's ?

There isn't really a loco that cannot be fitted with a decoder, although some do take more time and effort than others, but as long as you stick to the higher current draw decoders such as TCS then you will be fine. There are loads of threads relating to decoder preference for older loco's so why not have a go.

Unless you are running some ancient Dublo that has one side of the motor picking up from the chassis, just about anything can be converted. I've got some 60's vintage Triang that runs a lot better on DCC. TCS as Corax said. The 'dither' functionality also works well to smooth out those old motors.

The Dublo can be done but it means reaming out one of the brush holes and installing an insulated sleeve instead of a metal one. If you can find one ZTC used to offer a 3 wire decoder which was perfect for this type of motor/chassis.

The biggest problem is that the DC and DCC mustn't touch. I hear that the controllers do nasty things to each other.

It would be best if you could put them on separate layouts; failing that, you might be able to design a layout with a double track loop -- no crossovers -- so that the DC is on one track and the DCC on the other.

Thats what i thought too.....cheers for sheding some light mate.....:)

Thing is i have far to many engines to fit chips too,would cost to much.......:( wil have to have think about this one......:scratch_one-s_head_mini:

Do you operate them all on a regular basis...? I'd DCC the layout and slowly go through your fleet chipping locos at an achievable rate, and perhaps lay a small oval on a separate temporary board to run the DC ones when you feel like it. You could even sell a few and put the money towards DCC chips for the rest. It's a bit like an average Motor Museum, you only have to look at the dates on the tax discs to work out the last time a particular vehicle was on the road, and I bet they don't have a current MOT for every single one.

I really don't understand the eternal "I can't use DCC because I have too many locos" argument, firstly I really don't know how many locos I have and secondly I wouldn't chip them all. But the key is the "too many locos" bit, exactly how many does one person really need...?

As you can run DCC fitted on DC (as long as you have no HF devices like track cleaners) why not do some mods with connectors to your wiring where the controllers connect to the track so it is easy to completely unplug one system and plug in the other. A few isolated sections in the shed for none DCC fitted when you are running DCC.

That way you get the opportunity to run both systems while you gradually convert your stock.

• RMweb Premium

It's a bit like an average Motor Museum, you only have to look at the dates on the tax discs to work out the last time a particular vehicle was on the road,

I didn't think you needed a tax disc for old vehicles. Most wouldn't pass the modern MOT anyway I assume there are special arrangements for them.

Keith

As you can run DCC fitted on DC (as long as you have no HF devices like track cleaners) why not do some mods with connectors to your wiring where the controllers connect to the track so it is easy to completely unplug one system and plug in the other. A few isolated sections in the shed for none DCC fitted when you are running DCC.

That way you get the opportunity to run both systems while you gradually convert your stock.

Cheers for the information,wil give it ago.......:rolleyes:

Before I chipped everything I had 2 sections to the layout. The main layout was DCC and the yard/shed was DC. Both isolated.

These days I have 3 locos to possibly sell, plus a couple of others that might go that way.

I only realised how big the fleet is when I started an XLS sheet listing loco, chip and address.

Archived