Aristocraft Class 66

Superrams

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Pete

Initially there looked like being two players, Aristocraft and confusingly similar Accucraft which many seem to think are the same.

The 66 was hopefully the start of more models but that and the flats was all that has happened so I personally think that's why the range didn't catch on as it was so limited. There were musings about other wagons and locos but they have come to naught so far. Accucraft also announced a 37, HST, 08 first in 1/29, (as the aristo 66), then in 1/32 but they then abandoned the diesel range and only did some of the steam locos in gauge1 they had planned. Personally I hoped they might do a 158 as that and a 66 could have spawned G gauge versions of Peters Street and established a basic range suitable for minimum space and bigger layouts too. Sadly it seems the 66 and flats haven't captured the imagination and sales enough to spur them on to more. It would have been interesting to see if a couple of 4 wheel wagons might have been more popular as they wouldn't require a garden railway or big shed to build a layout big enough. I know from talking to Ian Pearse of Accucraft UK that they saw the gauge1 Boys as their primary market and they didn't get as enthused about diesels. Consequently and sensibly for a small operation they decided the risk was too great to the rest of their range which was, and still is, doing well. Accucraft also saw 1/29 as a dead end in the UK as it was effectively starting the whole OO v EM etc thing all over again.

The 1:29 scale is an American import as well it's not G scale 1:22.5 but was used by a number of American manufactures for standard gauge on G1 track for a more impressive model, then we have the Greenly scale of 10mm/1ft (1:30.5) which is the majority of British G1 scratch and kit built models and the true scale of 1:32 for most ready to run and continental G1 so EM, OO etc is a debate well alive in G1 and it's commonly to see all 3 running and not looking that out of place depending on what stock they are running with. Edited by Beatty 139

• 2 years later...
On 03/02/2011 at 20:12, Stevelewis said:

Can I suggest you speak to Jeremy Davies at Dragon G Scale 01792 886990 ( it is better to phone than eMial he is a one man business.

I have dealt with him for many years ( and many a time spent far more than I should have done on large scale items)

You may find he can offer you a good price!!:D .

Tell him you want it for static display and he may be able to suggest something to accomadate that!!

Hi, I've tried calling this number but it doesn't seem to work.

Does anyone have an alternative number or email you can DM / PM me?

OR another recommended shop etc?

I'm also after one of these G scale Class 66s now too!

kind regards

C

• RMweb Gold

Antics have a Freightliner one on their site but it's a silly price £795.

I brought and Re-wired a few of these about 10 years ago with the hope more stock would come. It never did so I sold them and the container flats on Ebay.

They fell dead in the water because the range was so limited. 

I still have an EWS one that's stripped and half re-wired in the loft. 

There was no drop in solution for DCC at the time it meant ripping out most of the wiring changing resistors etc to make them work with an ESU XL3.5 at the time.

Here is a link to the Antics one 

https://anticsonline.uk/N425/N639/N757_g-gauge-garden-railway/1640045_Freightliner-66610-Class-66-Freightliner-23202.html

I hope Dapol etc do a range of wagons to go with their 0-gauge 66's when they arrive or they could end up on a thread like this to in 10 years time lol.....

3 hours ago, markjj said:

Antics have a Freightliner one on their site but it's a silly price £795.

I brought and Re-wired a few of these about 10 years ago with the hope more stock would come. It never did so I sold them and the container flats on Ebay.

They fell dead in the water because the range was so limited. 

I still have an EWS one that's stripped and half re-wired in the loft. 

There was no drop in solution for DCC at the time it meant ripping out most of the wiring changing resistors etc to make them work with an ESU XL3.5 at the time.

Here is a link to the Antics one 

https://anticsonline.uk/N425/N639/N757_g-gauge-garden-railway/1640045_Freightliner-66610-Class-66-Freightliner-23202.html

I hope Dapol etc do a range of wagons to go with their 0-gauge 66's when they arrive or they could end up on a thread like this to in 10 years time lol.....

Thank you

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Have been running my 66 on various makes of Gauge 1 track without problem. Recently found that it can't cope with Peco points due to the height of the chairs. I should like to give Cliff Barker points a try. Has anyone had any experience in this respect?

• RMweb Gold

The 66 will work fine on Peco points if you slice the bolt heads off the chairs. You cant notice they are gone at normal viewing distance. This was a fix someone pointed out a few years back when they built a shunting layout for the 66's. As for Cliff Barker points I have never used them or his track so I cant help there.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Webstar said:

Many thanks for this Markjj. I had my doubts but have tried this and it has worked a treat. At least I don't have to do this to the track as well as the points.

For some silly reason the bolt heads on the points sit higher than the flexi track ones.

I never had a problem on the flexi track when I had mine. 

I'm glad you tried it and its worked for you to. 

• 7 months later...

Hi gentlemen,

I’m the happy owner of an Aristocraft  Class 66. Unfortunately I bought this model without the instructions booklet . For monthes I tried to find one on the web but… nothing.

Is there on RMweb someone kind enough to make (against payement obviously) a copy (paper or pdf better) of its instructions manual.

Many thanks in advance

Best regard

Paul