Aristocraft Class 66

Superrams

Hi Everyone

I have wanted an Aristocraft Class 66 for a long while now, but i have been unable to afford one until now

I fancy the EWS version

Has anyone got one, and if so, are they worth the £347 outlay ? ( Rails )

I dont want it to run, just to display

Yes, i do have more money than sense

My wife hasn't picked herself up off the floor yet after telling her how much they are !! :P

Edited by Mod4
Note: Duplicate topic posted in another sub section removed, please do not duplicate topics

Can I suggest you speak to Jeremy Davies at Dragon G Scale 01792 886990 ( it is better to phone than eMial he is a one man business.

I have dealt with him for many years ( and many a time spent far more than I should have done on large scale items)

You may find he can offer you a good price!!:D .

Tell him you want it for static display and he may be able to suggest something to accomadate that!!

Hi Everyone

I have wanted an Aristocraft Class 66 for a long while now, but i have been unable to afford one until now

I fancy the EWS version

Has anyone got one, and if so, are they worth the £347 outlay ? ( Rails )

I dont want it to run, just to display

Yes, i do have more money than sense

My wife hasn't picked herself up off the floor yet after telling her how much they are !! :P

Its a lot of loco for your money shame you cannot run it built in smoke directional lighting, pound for pound it is great value. The Rails price is good average is nearer £365 delivered (I think rails charge delivery ontop so unless you are collecting nearer £355. I am just in the middle of adding radio control & sound to one, goodness knows how it fits in with my brass steam outline (which are nearer £2000 if you really want to see total shock :D)but it was too good value to miss!

Thanks for your advice and replies guys. :)

Yesterday, i got my EWS Class 66 from Rails, it was the last one they had

At £347, it was the cheapest one i could find,so i'm pleased with the price.

As for the loco,it's awsome,i think it's great,and worth every penny

The detail is superb,and it really looks the bees knees.

Just another query though

As previously stated,it is only to be a static loco and not run.

Therefore,can i operate a sound chip,and the head/tail lights through my Prodigy 2 controller?

• RMweb Gold

Problem is the start up voltage it might have enough umph but with those big motors it will only crawl on a 1 amp controller and it pops the current trip if you try to pull anything. I run the Aristocraft stuff with a 5 amp controller although you need something even bigger to pull big trains. Mate ofone who runs there USA stuff with the same power bogies has a 10 amp unit.

Esu do a chip for the UK 66 for around £160.

Pete I doubt we'll see a 70 as they never went for any other locos that would be more popular like a 37.

• RMweb Gold

Pete

Initially there looked like being two players, Aristocraft and confusingly similar Accucraft which many seem to think are the same.

The 66 was hopefully the start of more models but that and the flats was all that has happened so I personally think that's why the range didn't catch on as it was so limited. There were musings about other wagons and locos but they have come to naught so far. Accucraft also announced a 37, HST, 08 first in 1/29, (as the aristo 66), then in 1/32 but they then abandoned the diesel range and only did some of the steam locos in gauge1 they had planned. Personally I hoped they might do a 158 as that and a 66 could have spawned G gauge versions of Peters Street and established a basic range suitable for minimum space and bigger layouts too. Sadly it seems the 66 and flats haven't captured the imagination and sales enough to spur them on to more. It would have been interesting to see if a couple of 4 wheel wagons might have been more popular as they wouldn't require a garden railway or big shed to build a layout big enough. I know from talking to Ian Pearse of Accucraft UK that they saw the gauge1 Boys as their primary market and they didn't get as enthused about diesels. Consequently and sensibly for a small operation they decided the risk was too great to the rest of their range which was, and still is, doing well. Accucraft also saw 1/29 as a dead end in the UK as it was effectively starting the whole OO v EM etc thing all over again.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

It might be worth taking a look at Trainworld's (in Brooklyn NYC) web site for the G scale class 66, as I just received an email from them indicating that they are taking advanced orders on class 66s at $425 per unit. However, postage costs could be quite high, and you won't get your typical EU guarantee/warranty, so buyer beware when ordering from the USA.

Andy

Pete I doubt we'll see a 70 as they never went for any other locos that would be more popular like a 37.

Would part of the problem be that in the case of the 66 it could use an existing American chassis, like the real thing does? That would've cut down the costs as they were 'testing the water' so to speak. They'd have to design a totally new chassis and bogies as well as the body for something definitively British.

It might be worth taking a look at Trainworld's (in Brooklyn NYC) web site for the G scale class 66, as I just received an email from them indicating that they are taking advanced orders on class 66s at $425 per unit. However, postage costs could be quite high, and you won't get your typical EU guarantee/warranty, so buyer beware when ordering from the USA. Andy

Also you'll be clobbered for Import VAT by HM Customs, and £8 Fee from Royal Mail for the priveledge of telling you about it...

UK Supplier prices may seem higher than US, but that's because they'll have also had to pay these charges... It does nark that stuff is really much cheaper in the US, though.... :(

For those that have the EWS 66 I can have the cab mirrors produced in G Scale for £20 per Loco and produced to order only + £1.50 p+p

If anyone would like some please contact me through my web site only.

These will only be on request and not on the general web site.

Pete

• 7 months later...
  • 9 months later...

certainly look good in green after a bit of renumbering and weathering.

Cheers

Hi Reddiamond,

I am new to this forum.

May be it is late to bring up this subject here again but I would like to say that your G scale Class 66 is so impressive particularly the weathering effect. It just looks like the real thing. Because of that, I shopped around for a same engine in Freightliner livery. It was really hard to get one now but I got it in the end.

May I ask if you mind sharing the weathering techniques with more detailed pictures, please.

Thanks.

• 4 years later...

certainly look good in green after a bit of renumbering and weathering.

Cheers

This was my Class 66622.

A 66610 renumbered using Precision Labels transfers (single numbers without carrying film).

Dingler Gauge 1 (10 mm) functional screwlinks.

Weathered for me by Kelvin Barnes.

An 00 and N example of a 66 in front of it.

Needed the cash for other models and was just lingering around, so sold it about 2-3 years ago.

A pity though.

Regards,

Michel