Roath, Cardiff

Pixie

Hi Pixie,

Your layout is looking really good! Has 37 038 joined your active fleet yet in whatever guise you were planning for it? Your trackwork looks very good with all the vegetation. What did you use for the purple flowers (weeds) as they look very effective. I am trying to get ideas of things to do with all the vegetation I will need to add to mine at some point in the future.

Thanks,

Mark

Bri re the meet. Sorted. Will let you know.

Chances are yes it was me who sold it you you. Or Gunners!

Fond memories!

Still got several of the Beatties Grafar wagons, paintbrushes and tins of unopened paint here as welll as numerous kits!

Pix, see you next weekend!

ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH

If I'm honest, the title is a little misleading. With 4 days to go things are plodding on well although it's becoming clear that Roath will almost certainly be a work in progress at the weekend. Apart from sorting out a lot of loose ends, I've made a good bit of progress on the Roath Furnishings warehouse with getting the basic shell together. The Brassmaster windows have also arrived and (thankfully) they fit. Although I knew that it was going to be a big structure, actually putting it together made me realise just how big it it - the photo below is only three quarters of the final length!

dscf1595t.jpg

Sorry Pix - committed both days that weekend, collecting grandkids from their other grandparents in Worcestershire (good people, also follow THE/THIS faith !)

No sweat Brian - there's a fair number of shows in the pipeline. I'll keep you all posted once they're confirmed.

Your layout is looking really good! Has 37 038 joined your active fleet yet in whatever guise you were planning for it?

Thanks chief! 6798 is coming along well - the buffer beams have been sorted, ViTrains chassis fitted, lots of shawplan things glued on and various bits of painting done. Hopefully it should be ready for the show and I'll hopefully get some photos of it.

What did you use for the purple flowers (weeds) as they look very effective.

They're from International Models by a company called Miniatur - see http://www.internationalmodels.net/acatalog/Flowers.html. I'm usually very dubious of continental scenic items as they're usually a bit garish (In the words of Billy Connolly - they're GREEEEEEEEEENNNNN!) but these are nicely muted. Their ivy looks very good too but I've not got any yet.

See...it won't be a couple of decades...2FS fever is spreading... biggrin.gif

Wait until that Farish 14 arrives... wink.gif

Pix, see you next weekend!

Can't wait!

OMS - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fL2CaiydtLY&feature=related

Pix

My great-aunt was in a nursing home on the eastern side of Cardiff in the late 60s. To visit her I had to negotiate the territory that you, o masterful Pixie, have depicted by means of a windy and tedious bus route. The urban landscape that impinged on my vision then and subsequently is enough of a memory for me to be able to say that Roath is spot on. Good on yer!

Chris

Great photos, looks like fun with the 56xx :) The overgrown look is superb - I hope to see this in the flesh one day :)

It was indeed good times, we'd have had pannier action too if i'd brought the right box.. Overgrown looked good but did lead to some tweezers being used to clean out the blades at the start, possibly needs a subtle tidy in parts.

I need to get some more minerals done for my next play on it as its spot on for my dad's memory of steam in Cardiff growing up. The bank and the terrace when finished will give a spot on recreation of this bit of Cardiff.

One thing I did mean to suggest Pix is a tree/shrub on the corner of the right bridge wall to cover that entrance into the fiddle yard a bit. You can see how it'd have helped in one of my shots..

This may seem an irrelevance, but it isn't. Pixies layout is set in 1971/72 when the Cardiff City's frontman was my all time footballing idol, a true gent and the only footballer who could really divert my attention from railways !.

Hence the sad news I received today.

Legendary Cardiff City striker Brian Clark has died, aged 67.

Clark will always be remembered for scoring the Bluebirds' goal in a 1-0 victory against Real Madrid in the 1971 European Cup Winners Cup quarter-final first leg at Ninian Park.

He signed for Cardiff in 1968 when then manager Jimmy Scoular paid Huddersfield Town £8,000 for his services.

Clark went on to form a lethal partnership with John Toshack and was the club's top scorer for three consecutive seasons before being sold to Bournemouth for £100,000.

The Bristol-born marksman returned to Ninian Park for a second spell with the Bluebirds in 1975, helping them win promotion to the old Division Two.

Clark had been unwell for some time.

Brian R

Pix

As I sit here, mourning the passing of one of Cardiff City's greats and reading some old Cardiff City match reports, I have a copy of 'The Daily Mirror' Thursday, May 2nd. 1968 and a report on Cardiff City v SV Hamburg in the European Cup Winners Cup.

An advertisement can be seen painted on the roof of either (i) The Grange End, or (ii) The Canton Stand - for the Roath Furnishing, which is as follows;

FURNISH

AT THE

ROATH

ON

EASY TERMS

You may also wish to consider an advert such as

"It's in the pink - Football Echo"

well within your era.

Brian R

Thank you to all of those who came along to the show at the weekend. For a first showing I'm happy with how Roath operated, although it's apparent that there are a few areas that need tweaking before it can be signed off. Special thanks must go to Craig (craigwelsh on here) and Bryn (err.. Bryn on here) who kept things moving while I wandered off.

Oh shiney - It'll fit in nicely to the new Roath 1956 plans. wink.gif

The urban landscape that impinged on my vision then and subsequently is enough of a memory for me to be able to say that Roath is spot on. Good on yer!

Thanks Chris. It's always nice to get compliments but when they're from people who know the area and era, it's got an extra level. smile.gif

Some pictures from the weekend at Stormex

Thansk for those Craig, it's always nice to see others peoples snaps. I've been hunting Bachmann 56xx's on ebay recently... you're a bad man!

Pixie how did you do the pink flowered weeds in Craig's second shot?

They're from International Models by a company called Miniatur - see http://www.internationalmodels.net/acatalog/Flowers.html. I'm usually very dubious of continental scenic items as they're usually a bit garish but these are nicely muted. The yellow ones make reasonable daffs as well!

One thing I did mean to suggest Pix is a tree/shrub on the corner of the right bridge wall to cover that entrance into the fiddle yard a bit. You can see how it'd have helped in one of my shots..

There is one isn't there chief, just to the right of the hole in the backscene? I must admit I do need to redo that piece of the backscene, I made the hole far too tall.

Legendary Cardiff City striker Brian Clark has died, aged 67.

Funnily enough I came across my 1971 Cardiff City card earlier one, I'll have to stick it onto the display on the front of the layout as a little tribute.

An advertisement can be seen painted on the roof of either (i) The Grange End, or (ii) The Canton Stand - for the Roath Furnishing, which is as follows;

FURNISH

AT THE

ROATH

ON

EASY TERMS

Oooh, can I be a cheeky g1t and ask for a scan at somepoint?

A couple of quick snaps from the workbench - first is the individual 1/72nd scale bricks that I've put to use in modelling the demolished weighbridge hut. Just awaiting planting, some more rubble and a toilet in the toilet to finish it off. Really pleased with how it's coming on and something that I've not really seen modelled before.

brickshithouse.jpg

Also dug out 5182 to try and get it finished. The body is a real mongrel of bits from Hornby and Bachmann and is currently awaiting changes to the roof and new tail lights adding. Then it's onto the hacking of the chassis before painting. What's the bet an all new RTR is announced as soon as I finish it off?

badger058.jpg

OMS - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAOLOGGftTY

Pix

Ahhh now we are really talking Pix

Sulzer type twos.

Some excellent work there - Hornby cabs and bodysides, Bachmann roof and radiator grilles.

Your prototype is way ahead of mine.

Can I just make a small point about the rainstrip along the bodyside. This is very very indiscrete, very much finer than the gutter which it runs in between. You'll be surprised how much difference the body looks with this strip sanded down.

Take a look at this pic ;

I understand why you chose to replace the Hornby rad' grille but I am not totally convinced of the Bachmann replacement with the rivets bolts is subtle enough.

Great work though and definately moving the perfect class 25 nearer.

Guest jim s-w

Pix - Off to Parkend to do some research for the next project...

Hi pix

How can you maintain 100% focus and effort on this layout if you are thinking about the next one? What I mean is can you still put every effort into one think while still hoping the next one is better? Not a criticism but something I have never really understood

Cheers

Jim

Thanks for the comments on the bricks chaps - I've got a few more ideas for something a little bit different but I need to have a think about how to make them work. Watch this space.

Tried it last night Pix - the original is so poor that it's almost ilegible - I will try again tonight, but don't bank on it.

Thanks Brian - I might pay a couple of quid and have a mooch around their archieve, it seems that there's a few things of interest from the look of the preview search.

A couple of scans from the 1971 Cardiff RAG week mag - another chance ebay purchase for a few pence which is worth it's weight in gold as far as nostalgia goes. Here's a couple which I know you've mentioned before Bri...

scan0001rqy.jpg

scan0002ut.jpg

I hope they stir some memories!

Can I just make a small point about the rainstrip along the bodyside. This is very very indiscrete, very much finer than the gutter which it runs in between. You'll be surprised how much difference the body looks with this strip sanded down.

Take a look at this pic ;

http://www.flickr.co...phy/3734919238/

I understand why you chose to replace the Hornby rad' grille but I am not totally convinced of the Bachmann replacement with the rivets bolts is subtle enough.

Thanks for the heads up Phil - I'll have a good look at those points a when I've next got a little time on the bench. I think the rainstrip will make a big difference and dealing with the rivets should also help get a bit closer to the right look. I popped into the SDR today on my way back from Plymouth with the hope that I'd be able to have a good crawl over the 25 that's usually there but sadly it wasn't to be seen (a little Google-ing has showed that it's up at the GlosWarks atm). I did get a load of measurement from the 37 they've got there which is handy.

How can you maintain 100% focus and effort on this layout if you are thinking about the next one? What I mean is can you still put every effort into one think while still hoping the next one is better?

I wouldn't say that taking some photos takes my attention away too far from Roath, if I'd started building baseboards or drawing up buildings in CAD then I think it'd be fair to say that my attention would be split. The sole reason for doing a little research for Parkend in the background of Roath is convenience and opportunity - I had to visit Ross-on-Wye so popping into Parkend seemed a logical option (or at very least a chance for a ponder, pint and plateful in The Fountain Inn). Whilst Roath is undoubtedly my main focus I tend to keep tabs on things that will affect any future projects to make it easier when their turn arises - for example a weekly trawl on ebay for anything Parkend to pick up photos or other items that might not be on offer when it comes to building the layout. I think quite a few people have a vague idea of what their next projects could or will be, although I guess with a project the size of New Street the next project will probably be a chunk of the layout, rather than a new one.

Congratulations on the wedding BTW, shouldn't you be on your honeymoon? cool.gif

OMS -

Pix

Hi Pix,

Just had a very quick 'catch up' with this fantastic thread, only one word can describe what you've achieved so far - WOW! Will go back and have a proper read through in a bit.

Oh - congrats on 'passing out' at last too, well done mate wink.gif .

And finally, this just in.... I must apologise again for not getting those minerals back to you in the post, I'd dug them out ready to get them wrapped up and sent off, only for my other half to hide them again thinking they were mine and not yours! Will get them to the PO asap, or I'm a Dutchman!

Nidge wink.gif

Hi Pixie,

One thing I did to my 25 that improved the look of it was to build up the nose height by IIRC 1.5mm. I copied it from an article in MRex by Pete Johnson. That huge gap between the nose and the central windowreally marks the model as a Hornby body rather than a model of a 25.

Cheers

David

A couple of scans from the 1971 Cardiff RAG week mag - another chance ebay purchase for a few pence which is worth it's weight in gold as far as nostalgia goes. Here's a couple which I know you've mentioned before Bri...

scan0001rqy.jpg

scan0002ut.jpg

I hope they stir some memories!

Pix.

Lowes eventually moved their 'pop factory' from Fairleigh Road to new premises on the industrial estate at Argyle Way off Heol Trelai, Ely. A move I would wager they came to regret - relocating from a quiet backwater to 'bandit country' where local kids would spend the time they should have been in school pinching as many flagons as they could get over the fence. Still it kept yours truly gainfully employed.

As for 'The Double Diamond Club' which closed many moons ago; before yours truly had passed his test he decided to treat his dear old mum by purchasing tickets for her to see the "Big O " at this Caerphilly establishment. This meant taking the train to Aber Jct. then undertaking a hike of Robert Falcon Scott proportions to the club. On the night of the show, dear old mum shared a table with Alan Evans (Treherbert) who at that time, together with Leighton Rees (Ynysybwl) were the two best darts players in the world !

Now, if you're looking for someone noteworthy a little closer to Roath, try the 'New Moon Club' which was located in The Hayes, more or less where The Marriott hotel now stands. One of only two places in Cardiff selling Newcastle Brown at that time, the other being 'The Bluebirds Club' at Ninian Park.

Go for a local (to Roath) builder such as J.C.Merrett IIRC he was in Alfred St. (Lane) ?

You keep rolling out the piccies, I'll keep boring you with memoirs.

Brian R.

PS

does the 'Rag Mag' have the infamous 'baked bean' story in it, the authors seemed to take great delight in re-hashing that joke year, after year, after year, after ......

Archived