Lime Street Station

Les Green

And today, after only three days modelling the station building went for a trial fitting to the layout! One improvement in the construction technique when compared with the hotel model was the provision of 2.1mm slots and tabs for the 2mm MDF. The hotel had 2mm slots and tabs which needed a bit of work prior to assembling.

post-8613-0-32981800-1487008156_thumb.jpg

post-8613-0-70074200-1487008166_thumb.jpg

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

Dismantled....

Good day at John's yesterday.

Six of us there to dismantle the layout and pack it ready for Glasgow.

post-3984-0-38973000-1487246601_thumb.jpg

Noel surveying the devastation after the Hotel has gone.

post-3984-0-00722600-1487246603_thumb.jpg

All the baseboards stowed in their trollies.

post-3984-0-56200600-1487246604_thumb.jpg

Les has trial fitted the flags for Glasgow.

See you all there in just over a week :sungum:  :senile:

Steve.

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

Now for something completely different........

Still the same model, but the very early story.

Les started our thread on the old RMweb back in 2008, and you can find a link to the archive on Page 1 of this Topic.

Prior to that, John had produced a PowerPoint presentation of the first two decades of this project, up to 2006.

This has recently re-surfaced, and I've made a video of it which you can see below.

I apologise for the watermark saying "trial version", but I haven't yet invested in the software used to create the video.

If you're interested in the first twenty years of this story, sit back for 45 minutes and follow this:

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

Steve

I really enjoyed that!

It gave a great perspective as to what you, John and the Team have gone through in order to get Liverpool Lime Street to where it is today.

What surprised me most was how disciplined you have been about developing things in clear stages when there must have been many occasions where the pressure to just get some station roads working and to run trains would have been considerable!

To be honest, it also made me feel good about the progress that I have made on my layout; it is not an exhibition item and it is OO rather than EM but until recently it was more of a solo effort - so I don't now feel so bad that it has already taken 10 years to get to where I am.

Thanks for sharing this.

Tony

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

One small step.....

John R and I collected the two vans from Intack Self Drive in Blackburn this afternoon.

At John's place Tony Stevenson was there to assist with loading.

First the VW Transporter:

post-3984-0-25859900-1487800978_thumb.jpg

All the heavy stuff, without wheels goes in first.

post-3984-0-89791700-1487800976_thumb.jpg

Although larger the Luton van can't carry as much weight, so the bulky stuff goes in here:

post-3984-0-97939100-1487800967_thumb.jpg

The trollies are full of baseboards.

post-3984-0-20622400-1487800974_thumb.jpg

That's four trollies with all the boards on.

Those three boxes stacked and clipped together are needed just for the station roof!

post-3984-0-71553900-1487800980_thumb.jpg

The Roller Cage contains all sorts of smaller item, such as the toolboxes etc.

The chairs ensure the operators creature comforts are well catered for.

Its all a bit close:

post-3984-0-83046900-1487800970_thumb.jpg

We had to close the shutter door to lift the upper box onto the stack.

Once in place there was about 1mm clearance as the door was opened again.

Where's it all gone:

post-3984-0-31798500-1487800975_thumb.jpg

Van's loaded ready for the M6, M74 and storm Doris.

See you all in Glasgow..........

Steve.

• Like 15

Good luck at Glasgow, everyone.

I've just watched the full BBC clip - the railway itself is jaw-dropping, but I was also fascinated by the view of the bus moving - it's got working suspension too! Bonkers - and brilliant!

Lime Street has, deservedly, been voted as Layout of the Year by BMRA voters - http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/120238-british-model-railway-awards-2016-results-and-winners/

Congratulations to John and the team, I know they're busy at Glasgow at the moment and hopefully they'll realise later. I've left John a congratulatory voicemail at least.

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Fantastic. Having just seen it at Model Rail Scotland it is clearly in a class of its own. Fantastic modelling and great use of technology (the cameras) . Very enjoyable to watch, even if it is a strain seeing the trains sometimes

Lime Street has, deservedly, been voted as Layout of the Year by BMRA voters - http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/120238-british-model-railway-awards-2016-results-and-winners/

Congratulations to John and the team, I know they're busy at Glasgow at the moment and hopefully they'll realise later. I've left John a congratulatory voicemail at least.

Well deserved winner. Congratulations.

I'd be terrified of moving it.

I would be if I'd built the overall roof. Seeing as Les built that it can be lifted and moved reasonably easily - at least when I've seen him do it. Lifting the hotel into place in its cradle (lifting points have been built into the structure) is definitely a two-man job though.

I saw Lime street yesterday and it's even better in the flesh so to speak. An incredible piece of work. You guys should be immensely proud of your achievement and especially the BMRA award.  

However, given how incredible the model of the hotel is, I can't help but wonder why you've hidden half of it behind an information board?

Graeme. 

• RMweb Premium

Yes it sweeps you off your feet. Clearly in a league of its own. Fantastic modelling . You know it's the model you dreamed of having as a 5 year old, although in my case it was Glasgow Central! Not too easy to see the trains, but that's almost incidental

I saw Lime street yesterday and it's even better in the flesh so to speak. An incredible piece of work. You guys should be immensely proud of your achievement and especially the BMRA award.  

However, given how incredible the model of the hotel is, I can't help but wonder why you've hidden half of it behind an information board?

Graeme. 

Mainly because the information board was put there long before the hotel was built. We are thinking of doing something about it to make the hotel more visible.

• Like 1

Yes it sweeps you off your feet. Clearly in a league of its own. Fantastic modelling . You know it's the model you dreamed of having as a 5 year old, although in my case it was Glasgow Central! Not too easy to see the trains, but that's almost incidental

Except the station hotel at Glasgow is about four times the size of the Liverpool station hotel!!