T-gauge

• RMweb Gold

I had to have a go!!

Made a start on the warehouse and chimney as this is one of the biggest kits printing the N-gauge kit out at 33% I thought it would still be manageable.

At normal viewing distances it doesn't look too bad, close up with a camera it looks shocking!!

Still as a first atempt I don't think it's turning out too bad, you have to remember that the chimney is 53mm high and the warehouse is 40mm high total length of this is 45mm

Yes I have wrapped and glued cover layers around base layers as well, the only thing is, it's all on paper the only time I've used 150gsm card is where it says used heavy weight card.

I've also left out window sills and the sill around the square opening profile.

I really need a magnfying glass and a very good sharp pointed scapel to cut things out this small.

DSCN0344.jpg

I have put the interior walls in as well, hopefully learning what I can and can't get away with at this size, before tackling any of the other buildings

Cheers

Ian

I saw a T gauge layout at a recent exhibition (think it was Ally Pally?), I think it should come with a magnifying dome over the front of it! I thought N was too small for my eyesight and hands! but T gauge is a whole different level entirely!

Kelly

• RMweb Gold

I have now finished the warehouse.

It doesn't look good through the camera lens this close up, but from normal viewing distances I think it looks OK.

I will be having a go at a few more in the coming weeks, but lots of other things require my attention before the wife kills me :D

I also need to get a much better knife with suitable blades, why is paper such a pig to cut nice and crisp....could be just working at this small size I guess.

post-6745-0-73688100-1303568547_thumb.jpg

This shows that I did complete the interior detail as well, I know a bit anal but you can see the back wall through the door ways, and I know it's been done!

post-6745-0-28659700-1303568570_thumb.jpg

The final shot, this is a Farish Class 04 just to give an indication of size.

post-6745-0-26127800-1303568678_thumb.jpg

I did actually manage to make a couple of the Northern roof lights which fit on top of the warehouse, these are incredibly fiddley but with a lot of patience they can be built, just need to print out a fair number of them so when it goes pear shaped it's easy enough to scrap them and start again.

With this size, it's best to do a little bit then leave it and go back, I've rushed this a bit to see if it would work and it shows (to me any way)

The thickest card I uesd was 150gsm, for the blue bricked buttresses, evrything else is just paper.

Cheers

Ian

Hi Ian

Looks very good to me,well done you are very talented,I have been following your other models for a while now.All brillient !

I struggle with oo gauge never mind anything smaller.Eyes let me down and having hands that possess all thumbs at times rolleyes.gif

Tel

Hi

Now that's wow factor considering how big the n gauge loco is against the building. The loco stands just on 1/2 the size of the building! That really is some effort you have put in. I am impressed with you had skills.

The thickest card I uesd was 150gsm, for the blue bricked buttresses, evrything else is just paper.

The use of just paper ha ha that is brilliant.

Thanks for posting this outstanding t gauge building.

Cheers

Martin

Thanks for posting the images Ian, looks amazing. It would be interesting to create simplified versions of some of my buildings (minus some of the wrapping etc) in T gauge to test the level of interest. I might have to order a set just to get a feel for the scale rolleyes.gif.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for all the positive comments guys.

Here is the footbridge:-

post-6745-0-14118000-1303847072_thumb.jpg

post-6745-0-90076000-1303847081_thumb.jpg

post-6745-0-67112400-1303847091_thumb.jpg

I think I used a different thickness of card for the roof on the right hand side stair case(furthest away from the camera in above photo) hence it's closer to the span roof, still at a distance it doesn't look too bad, close up it really does look rough.

Oh you need something to determine scale, how about sitting on my index finger?

post-6745-0-82845200-1303847101_thumb.jpg

I have followed the instructions, just used paper for everything, base layers cover layers etc.

150gsm card was used for the span floors and roof, and the roof on one side of the steps, maybe could of got away with paper as well.

Cheers

Ian

• RMweb Gold

As promised:-

post-6745-0-84605500-1304193700_thumb.jpg

The bank has turned out really well considering how small it is, not happy about the dormer roofs but it's just so mall to try and get them cut out and fitted.

Again from normal viewing distances they actually look ok..

The cinema is under construction!

From about 6inches away:-

post-6745-0-41429000-1304193968_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Ian

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Paul,

The Cinema has joined the high street.

post-6745-0-89541200-1304281457_thumb.jpg

For anybody else mad enough to try this, I use plain old copier paper for everything, the only time I use card is for any item that is shown to be printed on heavy card, but then it depends on where the item will actually fit in the finished building.

I will then print out directly onto either 150 or 170 gsm white matt photo paper, printing out onto this the colours really do stand out, I buy this from HERE .

I know it says photo paper, but it's as thick as card and will go through an ink jet ok, I don't print on to paper first then glue this to the card as it would end up too thick!

Why do I use two thicknesses, depends if they have to be glued together or not, it all depends where the components will be in the final building, if they are a side wall, they could be too thick and cause a fit issue later on , so I revert back to the thin stuff, all trial and error I'm afraid.

Cheers

Ian

• RMweb Gold

Lovely bit of modelling with those buildings. T never ceases to amaze me for the amount of detail in such a small size.

Here's a shot I tried the other day comparing a T Gauge 150 with N and OO units...

post-7123-0-44682900-1304406654_thumb.jpg

The Cinema has joined the high street.

These are really excellent Ian - have you considered offering them either as plans that folk can print or ready printed kits for folks to buy?

Cheers,

Alan

• RMweb Gold

Hi guys thanks for all the nice comments.

Hi Alan,

These are the normal / standard N-gauge Scalescenes kits just resized to suit T-gauge.

If you have a printer NOT a HP (the new one I've just bought doesn't give you the option) you should get an option in the print dialogue box for page tiling or page scaling so you can choose how big to print the document out at.

Just type in 33% and the document will print out at 33% of the original size.......or really really small :)

These are really excellent Ian - have you considered offering them either as plans that folk can print or ready printed kits for folks to buy?

Cheers,

Alan

Superb modelling. pleasantry.gif I love the cinema... I just built that in N. I like Adam's shot of the T vs N vs OO trains and the 5p in your shot. These really give the impression of the scale and make it easier to imagine how hard it is on the eyes! blink.gif

Just out of interest, have you actually glazed those windows???

Archived