"West Booley"

shortliner

I have an invite to Inverness Show later this year - and want to take something different this time. I have decided to make a small switching layout in the form of a shunting puzzle that could be operated by visitors. I also wanted something that could be an addition to the tribute to Carl Arendt for the planned "Tribute page - seehttp://www.carendt.us so I have borrowed the "Arizona Gravel Company" trackplan by Laurie \Green MMR, extended it to 4 square feet to coincide with Carls Micro-layout ethos, extended a couple of the sidings and added a third, and will run 40'cars and 44/45/70-tonner locos on DC. Speed will be set with a standard (hidden) controller, and control will be by a goof-proof controller see Teton shortline http://www.tslrr.com/cabsmpl1.htm and http://www.carendt.c...e75a/index.html 4th item down . 3 cars of different colours will be used and matching coloured cards will indicate where the cars are to be switched to. For home/other use - there will be two fiddlestick extensions with 24" locolifts which will be added to the ends of the main track and allow more cars to be used - the two sidings at the rear will hold 2 cars, the front siding holds 3, the loop will (Just) hold 2, and each end track will hold either a car or a loco.

Track has been positioned. but I need to do a little more work on the boards before final laying and thinking about buildings etc.

Front view

post-6688-0-77272900-1302791889_thumb.jpg

Track plan

post-6688-0-50953100-1302791934_thumb.jpg

Hi Jack,

Looks good and nice idea to have a tribute to Carl. His site has always been an inspiration to space starved modellers like me.

Don't know if your wanting name suggestions but I just thought of TRALARC END (anagram). I came up with that in a few minutes,

so I'm sure someone could come up with something better.

Good luck with the project,

cheers,

Mal

You might want to find something other than a Confederate flag too.

That flag irritates a lot of people and those it don't probably won't like setting benchwork on top of it. 8-)

As it's going on display in Scotland rather than the Northern States, it might not cause too much trouble I suspect... not as much as if it was put on a "St George's" flag, anyway!!! :blink: :lol: :lol:

Love the baseboard shape, Jack - makes you look twice at the trackplan, for sure!! ;)

• RMweb Gold

You might want to find something other than a Confederate flag too.

That flag irritates a lot of people and those it don't probably won't like setting benchwork on top of it. 8-)

Quite. It's the equivalent to a swastika for many people.

Guest jonte

It hadn't gone unnoticed that there had been a lull in your jottings, Jack.

I wondered what you were up to :lol:

Nice gesture and great track plan - novel baseboard too!

Good luck,

Jonte.

• 2 weeks later...

A little more progress - first a name - Currently "West Booley", a corruption of Beauly on the Far North Line (shades of the Ross County Short Line) - Itself a corruption of Beau Lieu (named allegedly by Mary Queen of Scots). The Fiddlesticks that fit into each end and support the double-length Locolifts have been made and plug through the ends and into sockets in the underside of the layout. Two end panels have been added and these have been fitted with sliding doors, so that the layout can be used in its basic form with no fiddlesticks/locolifts, and without the loco/cars being able to "gravity-shunt" through the end-boards. Not currently certain what to do with the backscene - any suggestions gratefully received.

You will notice that I haven't included THAT flag in deference to the feelings of our friends on the left-hand side of the pond.:blush: Maximum number of cars that can be sensibly used on the layout is 6 with a loco - but I suspect that will rarely happen.

post-6688-0-87138800-1303752378_thumb.jpg

Not currently certain what to do with the backscene - any suggestions gratefully received.

I always think that compact layouts like this look better in an urban/industrial setting. As it is so small what about it serving one big industry - a engineering complex for example...? This will give scope for a variety of freight cars; box, flat, gondola, tank. Also one of the end doors could be disguised with a low relief structure and the door could open to allow a flat car or gondola to go "into" the building, to emerge later with a finished product on it...?

Cheers,

Longers

• RMweb Gold

With that B&M 44tonner, and the ethos of a "single industry" in mind, how about a Paper Mill complex? Suitable for locale (New England) and variety of traffic...

[tongue in cheek] And being firmly in "Yankee" (or RedSox!) territory, no need for "that" flag :D [/tongue in cheek]

A couple of good, thought provoking ideas there - Chris Gilbert has suggested a bridge at each end, with the end of track disappearing under each - I've been playing with cardboard and that appears workable too, with a full width bridge at the RH end, with a partial bridge angled into the corner on the left, so that both "roads" maintain the parallel grid pattern found in many US cities. - both would leave the couplers "get-at-able" with a coupling stick without them being too close to be disturbed by the HOG - still thinking, and more ideas very welcome

Hi Jack,

Looking good, the B&M loco and the suggestion of the paper industry puts me in mind of B&M's Ashulot branch in New Hampshire, lots of single spur industies in a rural/industrial setting - lovely.

IIRC - RMC ran a couple of articles by Scott Whitney on it in th 90's, industries included a fairly small paper mill producing check book stock, bailed pulp and pulpwood and wood-flour (finely ground sawdust for the paper industry - shipped in box cars), as well as the usual New England staples of fuel and road salt.

All the best

Nick

Pete, great idea but there is a doorway under the front,(to take an extendable track) and nothing would meet the mirror at right-angles. which would angle all the reflections - it may end up painted black under there, at least on the backscene - but first I want to try the actual backscene extended around onto the side board. IT is fairly difficult tp see under there as it is from a normal viewing angle - the flash tends to throw light under there and that view is taken from the end of the board, ie not a normal viewing angle.

Thanks guys - working on building the other bridge for the RH end. Decided I don't want them both to look the same - (read run out of square Plastruct rod for railings and also need some more of the plastic extrusion for the supports :blush: ) so this one has a different support system and solid concrete sides. Hopefully pics by the end of the afternoon

Archived