Welcome!

-missy-

Hello :)

With thanks to Andy Y the 2mm Scale Association now has a home on RMWeb. Hopefully in time it will fill up with some of the amazing 2mm modelling which is going on around RMWeb.

If you would like any of your existing stuff added here please let Andy know.

Missy :D

• RMweb Premium

Good Heavens! Step out of the house for an hour and see the world change...

Thank you Andy Y and Missy, I'm looking forward to the future here. But please folks don't overload Andy with transfer requests - give him 30 minutes or so :rolleyes:

I also think I'm going to have to disprove my choice of non-blogging name, appropriate though it may be. If any of you have met Phil Badger of Ixion Models, he's commented that I produce fewer models with more tools than anyone he knows <_<

First step for this semi-luddite though is to learn the use of a digital camera for more than happy snaps.

Michael

Before we start creating new threads en-mass, would it be an idea to create new sub-sections? E.g;

• Q&As/Help
  • Layouts
  • Track
  • Locomotives
  • Rolling Stock

Saves having to sort it out at a latter date and having to move many threads around.

Before we start creating new threads en-mass, would it be an idea to create new sub-sections? E.g;

• Q&As/Help
  • Layouts
  • Track
  • Locomotives
  • Rolling Stock

Saves having to sort it out at a latter date and having to move many threads around.

I would second this..

Tom

• RMweb Premium

I would suggest that layouts should be kept either in their blogs or in the layouts section of the main forum as they will gain a far wider audience there than in this section. I feel that this area is best left for specific questions / developments.

Thanks Missy and Andy Y for setting this up.

I'd agree with Kris - I'd like to see specific threads here rather than blogs. I might try and set up a workshop thread here to cover some of the stuff that doesn't really fit on my blog.

Andy :)

No thanks needed at my end. I view it as quite a privilege to see so much good work and innovation going on in 2mm FS hereabouts and in the flesh at events such as Taunton and your collective efforts merit creating a distinct profile and area.

I'm conscious though that I don't want to 'pigeonhole' everything to the degree that people don't get exposed to good modelling through it not appearing in the mainstream and capturing the interest of the wider readership. So; if anyone wants any existing topics moving to this area I would suggest that I leave a link in the original forum area that remains in place there to any topic's new location. The best way to catch our attention that a topic needs moving is to use the report button for the first post of your own topic and we'll take care of the move. I'd like it to be the OP that requests the move as is if it were requested by a 3rd party the OP may think they've lost the topic!

I can create the sub-divisions suggested but would just pause to check if there any other inclusions needed?

Hi. Is there room for a beginner in here? No model railway building experience, but lots of enthusiasm, a few appropriate skills, a 15' x 8' room, a little time on my hands as I've just retired and a full size railway bridge in my garden........

I joined the 2mm association a few weeks ago after being impressed by what I've seen on here, and decided to jump in at the deep end. So far I've:

discovered DCC with an NCE Powercab

chipped a Farish class 24 - still waiting for the wheels!

built a wagon kit with finescale chassis, and converted 3 others

fitted DG couplings and got them to work with an electromagnet

built a test track and got things running

planned my layout, based on what the NER originally planned to do with the Tweed Dock branch.

Next jobs are:

build a turnout, though I haven't been able to get hold of the Easitrac turnout operating thingy as they're out of stock

convert my track plan to Templot or something so I can print it.

I was a teacher for 35 yrs, but have learned more in the last three weeks than in the whole of my career...........

Regards, and hope you don't mind lots of questions

Ian

Hi Ian

From a fellow newbie and NER region modeller, you will find a great bunch of people to give advice and encouragement and although the learning curve is steep the rewards are great! Look forward to seeing you efforts and don't be backward at coming forward ;)

Regards

Tom

• RMweb Premium

Hi. Is there room for a beginner in here?

Absolutely and welcome. Sounds like you have big plans.

• RMweb Premium

Ian / Tom if you can get along to a area group meeting wish I had years ago, as they develop your skills and answer all those questions my own modelling and understanding has improved no end since making the effort to meet fellow 2mm modellers

Hi. Is there room for a beginner in here? No model railway building experience, but lots of enthusiasm, a few appropriate skills, a 15' x 8' room, a little time on my hands as I've just retired and a full size railway bridge in my garden........

I joined the 2mm association a few weeks ago after being impressed by what I've seen on here, and decided to jump in at the deep end.

Regards, and hope you don't mind lots of questions

Ian

Hi Ian,

Plenty of room here - especially for beginners!

If you're free this Saturday, there is a meeting of the 2mm North East Group at Bournmoor, near Chester-le-Street, from about 2 to 5pm. We're having a workshop on Easitrac pointwork construction. PM me if you want more details - you'd be very welcome to attend.

Andy

Ian / Tom if you can get along to a area group meeting wish I had years ago, as they develop your skills and answer all those questions my own modelling and understanding has improved no end since making the effort to meet fellow 2mm modellers

Hi Nick I was staying in stealth mode but am actually going to go to the Kent&Essex meet this weekend where hopefully I can improve my trackbuilding skills! :)

Tom

Kris - plans, certainly, but I'm not sure they're big ones; the Tweed Dock branch wasn't a huge railway empire, exactly. Mind you, some of the buildings were impressive.

2mmAndy - thanks for info/invite. I knew about the meeting but can't make it due to a 'domestic' commitment, unfortunately. Living in Berwick-upon-Tweed puts me 75 miles from the NEAG and about the same from the Forth/Clyde group, it seems. Not sure there are enough members for a group round here............

In return for the warm welcome.........bridge number 7 on the Tweedmouth-Kelso branch line is in my back garden, and complete. We can touch the end of the parapet from the conservatory window. If any of you need a photo, or a site visit prior to building a model of it, you're welcome. It's good for barbecues, by the way.

Time to start on my first turnout.................

Regards

Ian

mmmmm Andy and Missy have set the scene its now up to us to ensure we use this and hopefully encourage more of the BIG boys to come and play with a real scale lol

as i sit here looking at Grandborough and the junk i have stored on top i feel embarrassed enough to get off me bum and get going..

and as a further question are there any 2mm FS modelers in W London ?

• RMweb Gold

Hi all,

well it's nice to have a little area for the 2mm people on here.

You can see what I am up too by checking out my blog for my 2mm layout.

I will also put any stock that I am building or converting on there too with a like for a section on here if that is ok with everyone

cheers

Simon

Archived