Pixie's Workbench - 2mm/ft Diesels and a 305mm/ft Cavalier

Pixie

• RMweb Gold

It is 'out of gauge'

Your scale doves are very good, are they proprietry or scratch built, do they still fly well on DCC? I was also wondering who does the best sound chips for some myself...

Kevin

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Very nice indeed.  It's when you start adding the little detail scenes that a layout comes to life. One of my favourite activites too.

The stone walling is impressive.

Mark.

Thanks all for the kind comments folks.

Been plugging away with the 'gardening' again this weekend; not quite got around to glazing the greenhouses yet though.

0E50AE49-B21D-4F83-9DAA-F7400C49A3E6_zps

2C0D92AF-6342-4A46-8E25-062D05AF6072_zps

The stone walling is impressive.

Sadly I can't take any real credit for that; it's ready-to-plonk, laser-cut stuff from Ancorton Models. The supply seems a bit sporadic but it's great.

When are you going to get it down to the Dean Valley Railway and show it next to the real thing....

Well, a few bits have met their real-world brothers already!

7AB2A4FC-1368-4632-BF04-EF3678AFB6FC_zps

68DC14A3-E137-4E1C-AC14-F52DBEF45C1F_zps

Someday I plan to take it down to Parkend itself and set it up on the wharf; I guess if I'm ever carting the layout to an exhibition in that part of the world it'd be logical to combine the two. The other option would be to rent the cottage shown above for a weekend - http://www.wyedeantourism.co.uk/discover/Accommodation/i-4018-1_Hazeldene . It'd be slightly surreal to set up a layout within one of the buildings modelled!

Pix

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

Do they still have the model railway exhibition at Lydney each year? I have good memories of exhibiting there (with a 7mm layout). Up behind those sidings there was a leat which ran to the ironworks. I found a sheep stuck in it and had to wade in to get it out. By the time I had contacted the Sheep Badger and he came out the poor thing would have had it. 

Don

• 2 weeks later...

This week, I've been weathering  track work on Parkend. Firstly a little scatter and static grass for weeds, then painting the rail sides with a slurry of Humbrol 29 and weathering powders, and finally a wash of thinners, weathering powders and a little Humbrol 33 to tie it all together.

C6B67863-D092-4FF8-86EC-23B5DC812582_zps

If I ever have to paint another rail side it'll be too soon.

9282D317-6ACB-4457-AD14-6D321B73CB26_zps

Pix

• Like 16

This week, I've been weathering  track work on Parkend. Firstly a little scatter and static grass for weeds, then painting the rail sides with a slurry of Humbrol 29 and weathering powders, and finally a wash of thinners, weathering powders and a little Humbrol 33 to tie it all together.

C6B67863-D092-4FF8-86EC-23B5DC812582_zps

If I ever have to paint another rail side it'll be too soon.

9282D317-6ACB-4457-AD14-6D321B73CB26_zps

Pix

Hi,

Trackwork looks fantastic! May I ask which powder colours you used please? Did you paint on the humbrol 29 and then dust on the powders while it was still wet? Did you mix the powders?

Sorry for all the questions! Thanks in advance.

Best regards,

Jeremy

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

What I've found is that a small cheap screwdriver ground to wheel profile is very good for scraping the paint away in the critical areas - head and inside top of the rail.

They're not much good for anything else anyway.

This will give a reasonable start towards good running but quite a bit of detail cleaning is needed as well. Sometimes paint & weathering stops point blades from completely bedding against the stock rail.

Mark

Edited by 2mmMark

Thanks all for the kind words. I concur that cleaning up the rails after weathering is a bit of a drag; I've found that after an initial clean it's really down to carefully watching stock as it shunts around for any defects. One tip I can offer - a beard trimmer is an excellent tool to bring static grass below rail height and coax out any fibers that the glue hasn't quite grabbed. I was very nervous about using static grass within the four-foot but after 18 months of service I've not had any fibers end up in mechanisms.

You do get some strange looks and, oddly, "I'm shaving my layout" doesn't seem to be reasonable explanation when family members question what you're doing. 

09EF12F4-CDD2-4810-B545-B6A42713B20A_zps

Trackwork looks fantastic! May I ask which powder colours you used please? Did you paint on the humbrol 29 and then dust on the powders while it was still wet? Did you mix the powders?
Sorry for all the questions! 

No sweat Jeremy, more than happy to advise. I'm loving Euston by the way - the quality and pace you're working at is amazing!

I use MIG Powders; namely Vietnam Earth (P031), Russian Earth (P034) and Volcanic Sand (P040). When weathering the track, I start off by airbushing the ballasted track with Railmatch Sleeper grime to act as a basis. I then paint the rails with slurry of Humbrol 29 (usually by picking out the sludge from the bottom of the tinlet), Vietnam Earth powder and Russian Earth powders. I mix the powders and paint together before application as it gives a very opaque, very matt and very dense finished. Sometimes a drop of thinners is needed to make it spread nicely. The below isn't the colours mentioned but show the principle. 

FE69FF0C-6820-4D93-8F37-C4C77A5474BA_zps

Once the rails have dried I give everything a very thin wash of Humbrol 29 and Volcanic Sand powders to tie it all together. Then it's just a good coating of scrubby static grass, coloured with Humbrol 150. 

I'm still plodding on with small details for the layout when time allows - in an idle moment this afternoon I glazed and weathered some greenhouses. Hardly an epic piece of model architecture but I was pleased with the effect Testor's Dullcote had on the glass. 

80D4A901-58A9-4FE5-BE55-2783F22F8E29_zps

The time-travelling Cavalier has also been replaced with a more period Mini, inspired a friend's recent purchase. As Ryan's Mini is product of the 1990's, the one on Parkend is more of a 'nod-to' rather than a precise recreation.  

19B151BC-2A6A-4AA6-A204-7962251BD603_zps

Aren't these just the cutest cars in the world?!

Cheers, 

Pix

Edited by Pixie
  • Like 10

• RMweb Premium

They are very cute Pix, almost as cute as a Morgan three wheeler. I think one of the old Minis would be the only other car to fit my garage.

2j9wee.jpg

Exhibiting on your layout is quite fun. We did it in 1989 at the Cally Market with CF and also in the KX Goods Shed a couple of years ago. We have a model of Keen House on CF. it is on the to-do list to make some boxes being loaded up into a old lorry to show the layout going to a show.

Tim

Edited by CF MRC
  • Like 2

And in the blink of an eye, Photobucket has locked all my images. Although I can magically make them reappear for $400... Bah. 

I'll work on a solution in the next few weeks, but apologies in the mean time.

Pix

• RMweb Gold

And in the blink of an eye, Photobucket has locked all my images. Although I can magically make them reappear for $400... Bah. 

Pix

So annoying, 

the thought of having to go through and re upload hundreds of (non rmweb) images is feeling me with dread. (I'm thinking Flickr, but would be interested if you have another better alternative.)

Pix

Wow. Even those ransom guys locking computers across the world are only asking $300....

Chris

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

That last shot is very impressive, and difficult to tell where the layout ends & backscene begins. 

Photo backscenes can be difficult to get right, either being too subtle or clashing with the colours on the layout, but i'd say you've got it spot on there!

Top stuff!

Tom.