Locomotive Headlamp Codes

• RMweb Gold

I want to fit some Springside lamps to my 38xx thats pulling a through coal train.What headlamp options are there or is it only class H that I need.

• RMweb Gold

Post war, 1946 onwards.

It would be Class H for a through coal train and between 1936 (or earlier, I won't bother to check that) and May 1950 that would have been - viewed from the front as you would see the lamps on approaching train - one lamp in the centre of the bufferbeam and another above the right hand buffer. From May 1950 (in case you are interested) the Class H headcode was altered to one lamp above the centre of the bufferbeam and another at the base of the chimney/on the top lamp bracket but in any case at that alteration 'Mineral train or empty wagon trains' were classed as J.

• RMweb Gold

Headcodes can be found on this website about halfway down. Make sure you use the correct set! The first is pre grouping (ie pre 923) and the second set is what is commonly used:

http://myweb.tiscali...gs/bellhead.htm

Interestingly, I notice that the coal train at Pendon has been set for a Class C. Odd!

• RMweb Gold

Headcodes can be found on this website about halfway down. Make sure you use the correct set! The first is pre grouping (ie pre 923) and the second set is what is commonly used:

http://myweb.tiscali...gs/bellhead.htm

Interestingly, I notice that the coal train at Pendon has been set for a Class C. Odd!

1. Many of the headlight codes shown on that page were not used by the GWR or where they were used meant something different.

2. From your description it sounds as if the coal train at Pendon carries pre-1934 Class H lamps - which are correct for that train. (what I quoted above was, as I said, Post 1934 Class H lamps).

• RMweb Gold

1. Many of the headlight codes shown on that page were not used by the GWR or where they were used meant something different.

2. From your description it sounds as if the coal train at Pendon carries pre-1934 Class H lamps - which are correct for that train. (what I quoted above was, as I said, Post 1934 Class H lamps).

Although it doesn't say what period Mike,the Springside lamps come with a leaflet showing the various codes.My pack were the white GWR ones but I don't have any photos to match like the BR period.Hence my query.I've gone for the set up you recommended,class H.

• RMweb Gold

I was unaware that the GWR had a different set of lamp codes to other railways, but not too surprised. After all, the GWR never followed the crowd! I did think it was strange for Pendon to get it wrong.

Any idea of a source for GWR loco headlamp classifications?

• RMweb Gold

I was unaware that the GWR had a different set of lamp codes to other railways, but not too surprised. After all, the GWR never followed the crowd! I did think it was strange for Pendon to get it wrong.

Any idea of a source for GWR loco headlamp classifications?

The best source for things like this is always the original documentation - ideally provided you've got the amendmentswink.gif - so look for a General Appendix for the railway concerned and any Regional Appendix for BR Regions (for example the WR still had some differences in 1960, the ER came out with some subsequently etc) My pre-nationalisation/pre-group information is far from complete for even the GWR with quite a big gap between 1891 and 1920 plus possibly some supplement changes missing in the 1920s although I also have copies of the relevant minute books which do help a bit.

As for the RCH codes and train classifications the interesting question for the period prior to the mid 1930s, and especially pre-group, would be which railways actually used them! For example even from 1933 the Somerset & Dorset only used three headcodes - one for passenger trains, one for freight, and the third for light engines! And of course there were other inter-company differences which carried through to 1960. The site linked by Signal Engineer looks, from a quick glance, to be ok for the GWR but it is only valid up to May 1950 for the Western Region.

• 5 years later...

If you were modelling early GWR then this page is useful:

Great Western Railway Lamps Codes

the Information taken from "Locomotive Management, from Cleaning to Driving", 1909.

or for from 1918 through to BR(W) then this page is useful:

Great Western Railway Lamp Headcodes, Tail Lights and Train Identification Boards

Archived