Hatcham servicing depot - O Gauge

Ressaldar

That's a very nice piece of work Mike. Shades of the single road shed at Kings Cross. I can hear a Heljan Deltic humming away already :rolleyes:

Hi Brian, thanks for the kind comment. I think a 55 on my shunting plank would look a bit out of place, but a 33 or a 31 to go with the 03 & 08 would look the business - we'll see. There is a photo elsewhere on here - in the Fueling Facility thread I think, of a 55 inside the Peterborough shed with another lurking outside.

cheers

Mike

1:48 scale corrugated steel (aluminium sheets) -

http://www.rustystum....asp?prod=D5525

Good quality - nice guy to deal with (based in USA).

Hi Ian,

thanks for pointing that out, I'll check it out later. I've found out that Evergreen do a selection of roofing/cladding sheets so I'll be checking that out as well.

cheers

Mike

progress, albeit slow, slow due to the adhesive, but the sheeting rails, roof purline and sag rods are now in place

post-6951-0-36020200-1311158011_thumb.jpg

post-6951-0-31976400-1311158016_thumb.jpg

post-6951-0-31170800-1311158019_thumb.jpg

post-6951-0-83737000-1311158021_thumb.jpg

I think that the Wills cladding ref SSMP225 and roofing ref SSMP229 will fit the bill to represent the 'wriggly tin' cladding and 'standing seam ' roofing - I've placed some panels on the building for comments please. The cladding comes as white plastic and I have sprayed it with Acid 8 primer, which comes out very similar to the ubiquitous 'Dove Grey' that seemed to be used on all industrial buildings in the 70s & 80s

post-6951-0-22001400-1311158024_thumb.jpg

post-6951-0-31059600-1311158027_thumb.jpg

That then gives rise to thoughts about the roof flashings and closers..........................

cheers

Mike

Superb workmanship. Make sure that at least some of the details can still be seen when this is finished.

I take it the sag rods are the vertical metal bars? In this country we call them cyclone rods because they tie your house to the slab in case of high winds!

Very impressive construction there Mike, the metalwork looks superb. Great work Sir.

I like the sag rods, didn’t even know that is what they were called but knew what you meant. I considered adding those to mine but in the end decided against it. The plastic rodding was very fiddly to deal with as it was thin and didn’t really add much to the overall appearance, you couldn’t really see it was there!

I look forward to seeing a 20 or 37 on shed!

Hi Grimleygrid,

thanks for your welcome comments.

Is this something like what you meant?

post-6951-0-11938800-1311181951_thumb.jpg

post-6951-0-41459600-1311181953_thumb.jpg

post-6951-0-37163800-1311181955_thumb.jpg

Must let the 03 have a look-in before too long otherwise there might be trouble in't camp.

cheers

Mike

• RMweb Gold

Excellent work there Mike. It certainly makes a difference adding all the steel work (I didn't know that these were called sag-rods either, but makes perfect sense). I think that these would become so insignificant in 4mm that probably not worth adding, but works well in 7mm.

Have you looked at the Evergreen milled profile sheets for the roof panels?

Excellent work there Mike. It certainly makes a difference adding all the steel work (I didn't know that these were called sag-rods either, but makes perfect sense). I think that these would become so insignificant in 4mm that probably not worth adding, but works well in 7mm.

Have you looked at the Evergreen milled profile sheets for the roof panels?

Hi Mudmagnet,

glad you like it - lots in Orhard Road that is drawing me further in - my first venture into the scenic side of O Gauge, so I'm on a very steep curve. I have looked at the Evergreen panels and they seem to be twice the price of the Wills panels for roughly the same area and you have to add the standing seem. Might have a further look when I get around to some other buildings - the wagon repair shop for instance.

Will be putting in the blockwork panels next - I'm going to use foamboard and face it on the inside with plasticard and scribe the mortar joints on - having drawn up an A4 sheet on Autosketch, I'll try printing directly onto the plasticard and let it dry thoroughly first and having scribed out the coursing, will rough up the surface slightly to give the surface texture, as I'm sure that BR would not have used fair faced blockwork for an engine shed!

cheers

Mike

Hi, that is just what I was thinking, thanks. Quality!

Love the weathering on the chopper; it certainly looks like it has been out and about earning its keep!

in my book there is no such thing as a 'clean engine'!

cheers

Mike

• RMweb Gold

Hi Mudmagnet,

glad you like it - lots in Orhard Road that is drawing me further in - my first venture into the scenic side of O Gauge, so I'm on a very steep curve. I have looked at the Evergreen panels and they seem to be twice the price of the Wills panels for roughly the same area and you have to add the standing seem. Might have a further look when I get around to some other buildings - the wagon repair shop for instance.

Will be putting in the blockwork panels next - I'm going to use foamboard and face it on the inside with plasticard and scribe the mortar joints on - having drawn up an A4 sheet on Autosketch, I'll try printing directly onto the plasticard and let it dry thoroughly first and having scribed out the coursing, will rough up the surface slightly to give the surface texture, as I'm sure that BR would not have used fair faced blockwork for an engine shed!

cheers

Mike

hi Mike,

To be honest I've not compared the cost of Wills verses Evergreen. I have noticed though recently that Evergreen has become quite a bit more expensive.

Hi Mudmagnet ,

the price of the Wills panels has gone up as well, in the current Squires catalogue, the printed price ia £2.99, but the charged price is £3.39 - a 13% increase, whilst the Plastruct prices are still as printed. I think that the Wills price is still cheaper per square inch or mm whichever way you want to look at it.

Hi Ian,

Some years ago I purchased a 'crimping roller' as marketed by Fiskars as I have a 75mm wide roll of brass shim and thought of using the roller to produce corrugated iron, but having tried it, I decided that it was not suitable for me needs. I have book marked that link as I think there are some other ideas mentioned that might be useful in the future. Many thanks for pointing it out.

cheers

Mike

Hi Mike, I like your book! It is amazing just what a bit of paint can do to transform the look of a model.

Could you just about fit a pair of choppers in there?

I plan to use Evergreen metal siding for mine but that appears to be right for my shed as it is not corrugated iron. You could buy one pack of it and see how it looks, you might quite like it!

Hi Grimleygrid,

just received my parcel from Squires - the cladding etc that I ordered yesterday, so I'm off into the workshop to put the roof panels together and see where we go from there.

cheers

Mike

now fitted the main roof panels and the brickwork 'base' together with the flashing that the cladding will 'sit on' . I've used Slater's Flemish bond brickwork and I must admit I thought that it would have been better. I was advised at the Llanbedr running session on Saturday that the SouthEastern Finecast brickwork is much better, so I'll get some and try it on the wagon shop - and there is still the small item of 16' of retaining wall to do along the backscene as well!

The 'as supplied' sheet size for the roofing was just right when leaving a gap at the top for the ridge flashing - once the side sheeting is done.

post-6951-0-78801800-1311693409_thumb.jpg

post-6951-0-73394800-1311693412_thumb.jpg

post-6951-0-29747000-1311693415_thumb.jpg

post-6951-0-87262200-1311693417_thumb.jpg

post-6951-0-47379200-1311693420_thumb.jpg

post-6951-0-88759700-1311693422_thumb.jpg

post-6951-0-07501100-1311693425_thumb.jpg

more to come later in the week.

cheers

Mike

So what was wrong with the Slaters brick? An old mould that now gives a less than sharp impression of new-ish bricks?

Perhaps not what you are looking to do - but -

http://www.mollys-house.co.uk/1%2B48th+scale+Brick+Paper+PUF6TTJBRE14b0RkalZIWnZKSGM (stick on paper sheet)

http://www.miniatures.com/14-Red-Brick-Paper-P19582.aspx (3 sheets of paper bricks)

http://www.rustystumps.com/proddetail.asp?prod=L1503 (laser cut sheets)

http://www.rustystumps.com/proddetail.asp?prod=L1501 (laser cut sheets)

Hi Matto,

many thanks, I'm thinking about the detail to come at the moment and hope that I can maintain what has already gone.

Hi Ian,

nothing wrong with soft edged bricks, but the courses are bowed and the whole sheet is slightly out of square - on the plus side, the bonding on the sheet that I'm using is ok. However, the first lasercut sheet that you pointed out, has the header course wrongly bonded - the perps should be staggered all along the course - perhaps that's how the Americans do/did it.

cheers

Mike

• RMweb Gold

Hi Mike,

Adding a brick base makes a difference. I agree that the Slater's brick has lost something, but the SE Finecast looks good - though perhaps better for older buildings? I'm not sure that printed papers look quite right in 7mm, although fine for 4mm. I don't know if you would notice the 'out-of-square' on a small area, but noticable on a large building (mind you, most 7mm buildings can be quite large).

Looking good Mike. I too have had issues with Slater’s plasticard both brick and lined sheets which has been disappointing at times. Recently I have browsed through in the shop to find the best examples which have been moulded/cut as square as possible.

I need to get the brickwork 'quality' sorted as there is the small question of a 16' - in 12" : 1' scale of retaining wall to do in the not too distant!! Somebody has offered me some smaple sheets of Finecast to mull over so watch this space!

I have started making up the cladding panels - a slight adjustment to do, just so it will hopefully 'look right' so hopefully, some photos tomorrow.

cheers

Mike

Archived