Hatcham servicing depot - O Gauge

Ressaldar

having briefly hi-jacked Stockton Road - appologies for that, I am now starting my own thread.

Nothing spectacular - other than it will be a) my first O Gauge layout - after over 30 years in the scale and B) DCC operated but with DC point cotrol.

post-6951-0-16924700-1306141389_thumb.jpg

post-6951-0-02761000-1306141396_thumb.jpg

post-6951-0-54047200-1306141403_thumb.jpg

The overall size is 16' x 2' on four 4' x 2' boards constructed from 9mm ply, simply pinned and glued and incorporating the odd packing block and the top is covered with 3mm nomatherm which is a polystyrene sheet covered one side with a thick card like brown paper (normal use id lining for walls prior to paper hanging) I bought a roll 10m x 500mm for £9.99 in Homebase when checking the price of their cork tiles - which were much more expensive.

As I stated on Stockton Road, I have had to give up making brass/nickel silver models as the fumes from flux and most of the adhesives was becoming too much for my health, this, despite taking all of the usual precautions of extract systems, masks and the like. So I shall have to restrict myself to PVA or the like for the buildings and hope that I can achieve some reasonable level of success.

The idea is to use the Peterborough prototype of the Bachmann 00 model as my 'guide' and thank you to the kind gentleman that posted all of those detail pictures elsewgere on this Forum - a great help.

As can been seen above, the track is laid and awaiting the arrival of the Cobolt point motors. The locos are in the vicinity of where the shed will be.

So with the Halifax show in less than a fortnight, I shall be preparing a list of scenic goodies to look out for and also I shall scour the Bring & Buy for any suitable rolling stock that would suit, the paint finish is not an issue, as I can still use the airbrush with the 3M face mask that I have.

cheers

Mike

Me too. Seems an interesting track plan.

I'll be interested to hear how the underlay performs. I'm about to start track laying on my layout and was looking for 1/8th inch cork - it is expensive so I may look at alternatives.

DaveC

Hi Kristian and Dave,

thanks for the encouragement, it really helps at the moment, as I feel as if my arms have been cut off as a result of packing in the model making. The track plan shows the outline for a two road shed and the Peterborough prototype is a single road and I think that I'll stick with the single track and see how things pan out.

post-6951-0-68306900-1306170064_thumb.jpg

the 03 now has a 'stable mate' - large numbered 20 - 20008

cheers

Mike

Hi Mike

I also got mine off ebay about £5 for 50. There are 3 main sizes in the style I have been using 603, 805 and 1206. use these numbers to search for them. 603's are obscenely small, thats the size I put in thePeco bufferstop lamp. The 1206's are what I have put in the fuel point light units. You can get them in all sorts of colours.

HTH

Guy

Hi Mark and Guy,

thanks for the responses re the SMD LEDs - I did a search, which produced over 400 pages, after the first dozen or so, all seemingly just for car lighting, I gave up. Are these LEDs available in this country, through the likes of Express Models or Digitrains? I think that I shall only need a couple of dozen at the most and getting involved with Paypal (which I will not use anyway) and Chinese/Hong Kong suppliers seems a bit OTT.

regards

Mike

You should be able to pick up the necessary items from Bromsgrove Models etc. They sell the range of DCC Concepts LED products which include SMD and normal LEDs. Ebay is a nightmare - not worth it unless you are absolutely sure that what you are getting is appropriate and accurately described. I bought white LEDs and they were - you guessed it - blue so they were consigned to the parts bin.

Hi Ian,

many thanks for 'putting me straight' and agreeing with me re 't bay. I shall be speaking to DCC Supplies later regarding the Cobalt point motors and as those items are from DCC Concepts, chances are that they - DCC Supplies will also do the SMDs, although I could not se them on their website last night, although, I might have been looking in the wrong place - not unknown for me!

cheers

Mike

• RMweb Premium

I model in N but have a fondness for O which started when I saw Millhouse Lane in MR; can't get over the sense of weight and presence of the rolling stock...but space restrictions dictate that I stay with the smaller stuff for now at least !

This layout looks right up my street and I'll be watching with interest; love the 03 too...

Hi Grafarman,

start collect the bits and pieces now - you know that it makes sense.

Ordered the cobalt point motors and some SMD LEDs from DCC Supplies this morning so I now have reasons to get cracking. So this afternoon I started experimenting with some 5mm foamboard that I had in stock and have cut out and glued a simple little shed/bothy together to get the hang of the material and experiment with the cutting out etc - first impressions/findings are encouraging so I'll do a bit more tomorrow morning.

cheers

Mike

• RMweb Premium

Are you going to go for the trimming-out-of-the-track-webbing that others have done for a more prototypical look, or just bury it all in depot slurry?! Be interested to see the result either way as I'm planning an N depot at some point...

BTW; have my eye on a couple of O wagons on Ebay at the mo ;)....

Regards

David (Grafarman)

Hi David,

have not realy thought that far ahead at the moment, I thought that I'd concentrate on the main buildings first and see how things evolve.

Glad to see that you are nibbling on the bait.

cheers

Mike

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Now this does look interesting Mike.

Sometimes, I wonder if I should trade in all my 2mm and 4mm stuff and get stuck in with my 7mm stuff.

Especially seeing it in BR Blue :D

Staying tuned...

Now this does look interesting Mike.

Sometimes, I wonder if I should trade in all my 2mm and 4mm stuff and get stuck in with my 7mm stuff.

Especially seeing it in BR Blue :D

Staying tuned...

go for it - and arramge to be at Guildex at Telford in September to get really smitten.

I bought the 'structural steelwork' at Halifax yesterday, so hopefully, things will start to move soon - point motors and finalisation of track wiring should happen this week.

cheers

Mike

• RMweb Gold

go for it - and arramge to be at Guildex at Telford in September to get really smitten.

little chance of that I am afraid...I live in Barcelona B)

But I will be keeping tabs on your progress...

• 1 month later...

at long last started building the Servicing shed, having done some 'structural and cladding' design work on Autodesk

post-6951-0-90301600-1311002961_thumb.jpg

post-6951-0-89388300-1311002960_thumb.jpg

the trusses were made up and then spaced out onto double sided tape for the horizontal beams to be added and then the whole shed was stood upright and an insert added to allow the whole thing to 'cure' overnight.

post-6951-0-05612300-1311002950_thumb.jpg

post-6951-0-93480500-1311002952_thumb.jpg

post-6951-0-83241200-1311002956_thumb.jpg

post-6951-0-07795300-1311002959_thumb.jpg

next up will be the sheeting rails, roof purlins, sag bars and wind bracing and then the roofing and cladding. I have been looking for suitable O Gauge materials but so far no luck, so I have purchased some of the Wills 4mm materials and will experiment with a few 'mock-up' panels to see if they would work.

I have also altered the location of the shed to the front kick-back siding as I think it looks more in keeping and it also acts as a 'scenic' break and will give some depth to the layout.

cheers

Mike

Hi Dave,

and there was me thinking that I'd given up looking at structural steelwork drawings when I retired from building estimating some eight years ago! Thankfully, I recalled most of the connections etc that I needed - together with a couple of trips to a local garden centre to check out their structural steelwork. Hopefully some will be seen though the glazing panels, we'll see.

cheers

Mike

Hi DaveC,

Glad you like it. Therein lies one of the cladding/roofing problems in that the rooflights should have the same profile as the roofing panels and as I'm not yet sure about the roofing, the answer might be a no-no. I will be investigating further with the Wills panels - they have an 'asbestos' sheet and a matching glazing panel, but I'm not that convinced that they could be used in my situation - ridge centres are too close, whereas the other Wills panels that I have, I think that I could get away with using them. - We'll see tomorrow.

cheers

Mike

Archived