Waverley Route Freight Flows

Guest Max Stafford

Roy, that is truly superb. A virtually untapped viewpoint as well! Did you take any more shots of this nature further down Liddesdale? I would love to see shots of the section between Penton and The Holm as viewed from the opposite bank; there must have been some wonderful photographic potential there!

Dave.

Michael Mensing took a fantastic couple of photos of a 40 heading south, the first as it was on Liddel Viaduct and then he spun round and took another, side on, shot of it on the south bank. I was sure the viaduct shot was in a book, in colour, but for the life of me I cannot find it. WRHA have black & white copies in the Archive which is how we know both shots were taken a few seconds apart. Maybe ones for publishing in The Waverley?

Michael Mensing took a fantastic couple of photos of a 40 heading south, the first as it was on Liddel Viaduct and then he spun round and took another, side on, shot of it on the south bank. I was sure the viaduct shot was in a book, in colour, but for the life of me I cannot find it. WRHA have black & white copies in the Archive which is how we know both shots were taken a few seconds apart. Maybe ones for publishing in The Waverley?

For my money no picture of a Class 40 can match an A3 at full chat, wherever it is.

roygraham

Yes Matt I think you're right. If it's the one I'm thinking of it's in a book that Oly (thecromptonparkinson of this parish) has in his collection. Green EE Type 4 heading over the Liddle Viaduct, maroon (mainly) consist. I'll give the youth a poke, see if he's awake.

For my money no picture of a Class 40 can match an A3 at full chat, wherever it is.

roygraham

Find me an A3 at the same place with the same, low evening sunlight glistening off the bodyside & lighting up the arches whilst the loco charges through Liddesdale and I'll happily agree with you there Roy .... until that time the class 40 will most certainly do :sungum:

Yes Matt I think you're right. If it's the one I'm thinking of it's in a book that Oly (thecromptonparkinson of this parish) has in his collection. Green EE Type 4 heading over the Liddle Viaduct, maroon (mainly) consist. I'll give the youth a poke, see if he's awake.

I'll paraphrase from the Anglo-Saxon text message I've received, which boils down to:

'It's in a book entitled Green Diesel Days, that I am unable to put my hands on just now as I've recently moved house, but a large Deltic graces the cover.'

Other spare letters have been dumped here: fgnicuikkfgnuc

Michael Mensing took a fantastic couple of photos of a 40 heading south, the first as it was on Liddel Viaduct and then he spun round and took another, side on, shot of it on the south bank. I was sure the viaduct shot was in a book, in colour, but for the life of me I cannot find it.

Rightery-Ho!

The Class 40 shot is as follows.

GFYE loco with discs (so a borrowed non-64B engine) - maroon MkI BG - maroon BCK? - blue/grey SK - maroon SK - maroon LMS BG

And it's my number one contender for a huge print to grace the wall of this gaff.

Anyone for a EE type 4 hauled class 4 at Newcastleton, complete with school coach?

http://cumbrianrailw...0e3ed#h26777068

That's the one that is also featured departing whilst 60528 (incorrectly captioned at 60529) storms north with a vertical fog bank:

http://cumbrianrailways.zenfolio.com/p431165606/h2260e3ed#h2c4b2f39

... which graced the rear cover of The Waverley issue 9, way back in Summer 2006 .. and if a 5 1/2 year lead on seeing photos like that isn't enough to tempt people to become members of WRHA then I don't know what is!

Guest Max Stafford

As for the A3 vs EET4 debate, I'd happily settle for either or both as long as I could have them on that railway in the style of that era on that kind of traffic! :sungum:

Dave.

Guest Max Stafford

"...the distortion throbs..."

How appropriate when Class 40s are the subject of the conversation...

Dave.

As for the A3 vs EET4 debate, I'd happily settle for either or both as long as I could have them on that railway in the style of that era on that kind of traffic! :sungum:

Dave.

What was my phrase last week - the WR's Maids of All Work....

EET4s owned the line it seems to me once steam had made way. They weren't flash, didn't swivel heads, just turned out day after day on every class of working Control could throw at them.

Guest Max Stafford

I never truly appreciated that until fairly recently. I fear I may have to install an industrial size froth bund when the Barwell re-boil breaks cover!

Dave.

Roy, that is truly superb. A virtually untapped viewpoint as well! Did you take any more shots of this nature further down Liddesdale? I would love to see shots of the section between Penton and The Holm as viewed from the opposite bank; there must have been some wonderful photographic potential there!

Dave.

Hi Dave,

I don't think so. Between Penton and Copshaw was a poor area to take pics because 'Up' trains were normally coasting, while most down trains hadn't by then started to really work. Also looking the same way as the Ormonde picture was usually straight into the sun. I was usually based in Copshaw and I invariably travelled north on my wanderings.

roygraham

Guest Max Stafford

Point taken, Roy, as I guess the philosophy of the time was focused largely upon the locomotive itself. Viewed from a wider perspective though with the train as part of the greater landscape, I guess there are sadly missed opportunities by the score there.

Dave.

Guest Max Stafford

And having viewed the fruits of your labours Roy, I can see that your emphasis on these factors was very wise and full of foresight indeed.

Thanks, you've made my day!

Dave.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

When the powers that be had decided it was better to send them the long way round, this was the type of traffic that could be seen approaching journey's end, Millerhill, from the wrong direction. Interesting to confirm a theory that EE Type 3 traction would have been staple WR Class 4 power, and by 1970 blue examples were looking very grimy indeed. Note too the high number of opens in the rake, more than traditionally seen on WR metals in the late sixties, if the photo archive is representative. So, a great what-if for anyone thinking the WR should be modelled as a survivor into its next decade:

http://www.railbrit.co.uk/imageenlarge/imagecomplete2.php?id=37351

by 1970 blue examples were looking very grimy indeed.

...Note too the high number of opens in the rake, more than traditionally seen on WR metals in the late sixties, if the photo archive is representative. So, a great what-if for anyone thinking the WR should be modelled as a survivor into its next decade:

http://www.railbrit....e2.php?id=37351

Interesting consist; looks like steel/wire coil in some of the opens (including a Shoc), possibly packing cases in the farther ones. Looks like at least one shiny new COV AB as well, just clear of the overbridge.

Worth mentioning as well that the loco will have been repainted around 18 months at max; it has central arrows and no 'D'.

Note too the high number of opens in the rake, more than traditionally seen on WR metals in the late sixties, if the photo archive is representative.

........and the reason?

Changes in the traffic carried or down to the change of route?

Regular or a one off?

So much to ponder.

Nice piccy any way.

Bernard

Archived