Waverley Route Freight Flows

Guest Max Stafford

Guest Max Stafford

Oh, you bad man! There is truly no finer incarnation of EE's sixteen wheeler that that of the shabby chic, green-clad beauty, flaunting a small yellow décolletage whilst digging her heels in on a lengthy class 4!

Dave.

Oh, you bad man! There is truly no finer incarnation of EE's sixteen wheeler that that of the shabby chic, green-clad beauty, flaunting a small yellow décolletage whilst digging her heels in on a lengthy class 4!

Dave.

Steady lad, take deep breathes...

Guest Max Stafford

I believe I've seen a summary of it recently, Bruce. I found it a little ambiguous though as it seemed from a cursory glance to suggest there was no brake van on the train. I don't believe that method of working was approved until three years later.

Dave.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I believe I've seen a summary of it recently, Bruce. I found it a little ambiguous though as it seemed from a cursory glance to suggest there was no brake van on the train. I don't believe that method of working was approved until three years later.

Dave.

The brakevan of the down train hauled by a pair of claytons I believe, jumped the road and detached itself at bridge 193 causing loss of brake continuity.

The train came to a stand at Primrose Cottages and the secondman was sent to investigate.

He found the vac bag swinging and merely reattached it to the dolly (pre TOPS mind so no modern train list). The train then set off again only to be stopped by Hawick South for not displaying a tail lamp.

It should also be mentioned this train was running early.

Unfortunately the south bound class 6 with the 40/Type 4 (whichever is preferred) on the front was running on time and crossed the down service somewhere near Stobs.

Night time, no forward lighting and not expecting anything untoward it ran straight into the brakevan and demolished 193 in the process.

Thats from memory mind so there may be some errors there.

I read the report earlier this year but for the life of me cant recall where.

I don't know whether it was in one of our journals or not????

Anyway thats the basics of what happened.

Mac.

The brakevan of the down train hauled by a pair of claytons I believe, jumped the road and detached itself at bridge 193 causing loss of brake continuity.

The train came to a stand at Primrose Cottages and the secondman was sent to investigate.

He found the vac bag swinging and merely reattached it to the dolly (pre TOPS mind so no modern train list). The train then set off again only to be stopped by Hawick South for not displaying a tail lamp.

Unfortunately the south bound class 6 with the 40/Type 4 (whichever is preferred) on the front was running on time and crossed the down service somewhere near Stobs.

Night time, no forward lighting and not expecting anything untoward it ran straight into the brakevan and demolished 193 in the process.

Mac.

Yes,it was in 'Tales from the Signal Box'.

Roy

Mac.

The secondman was obviously up there in the brain stakes then, even if the early hour of the morning had a part to play. The guard was obviously on top form too, getting his protection out etc. Incidentally, Siviter's book shows some photos of the relayers at work in about the same location, also in '65. Does anyone know if the renewal was as a result of the derailment, or maybe even the cause, for example if a twist fault developed while the new ballast was consolidating?

Guest Max Stafford

Either way, I'll wager the crew of the up were very grateful for the long bonnet of their mount that night!

Dave.

• RMweb Gold

The secondman was obviously up there in the brain stakes then, even if the early hour of the morning had a part to play. The guard was obviously on top form too, getting his protection out etc. Incidentally, Siviter's book shows some photos of the relayers at work in about the same location, also in '65. Does anyone know if the renewal was as a result of the derailment, or maybe even the cause, for example if a twist fault developed while the new ballast was consolidating?

The plate layers are between Shankend and Langburnshiel mate and Bizzler (fri the Lid) is in those photos.

Not to correctly identify the presence, or none more to the point, of a brakevan and tail lamp would see most hung these days.

I have tried to be kind in fairness as I don't recall what the repercussions for the guard or secondman where.

Either way I would suggest that the pair of them should be in possession of blonde hair and breasts!

Roy, can you inform as to which Journal number that was in and, if you agree, permission for its reproduction here?

I think the majority here would enjoy.

Mac.

That said, the majority should become members.

(I can insult to face then! Toungue and cheek).

The plate layers are between Shankend and Langburnshiel mate and Bizzler (fri the Lid) is in those photos.

Not to correctly identify the presence, or none more to the point, of a brakevan and tail lamp would see most hung these days.

I have tried to be kind in fairness as I don't recall what the repercussions for the guard or secondman where.

Either way I would suggest that the pair of them should be in possession of blonde hair and breasts!

Roy, can you inform as to which Journal number that was in and, if you agree, permission for its reproduction here?

I think the majority here would enjoy.

Mac.

That said, the majority should become members.

(I can insult to face then! Toungue and cheek).

Hi Mac,

J16 no problems.

Roy

I've recently read this in detail, and I do recall having seen it prior to that too.

From memory, the northbound service comprised vans, a brake and then 14 more vanfits. It was the last vanfit that was the breakaway, hence the secondman wasn't looking for a brake when he walked back down the train, and having not counted the vans assumed the train was complete when he replaced the vac pipe on the now last van. Obviously the lamp by now was destroyed with its van in the melee that brought down 193.

The guard of the southbound was injured and rescued by the Hawick pilot (accompanied by the station master) and recovered to that station. I don't recall any mention of dets in the article.

• RMweb Gold

The guard is responsible for the safe running of the train, point one.

Point two, a train must display a clear indication of its extremities i.e. whites and tails.

Not to notice this, as much as its easy done, leads one to only one conclusion of blame.

I don't wish to muck fling but whomever checked the train upon brake loss to my mind was responsible, regardless of whom should.

They will have both signed for the same rule book.

As stated, I am not aware of the repercussions but I have lost friends in similar incidents.

2 at Tebay as it happens.

Not nice.

Mac.

• RMweb Gold

The guard is responsible for the safe running of the train, point one.

Point two, a train must display a clear indication of its extremities i.e. whites and tails.

Not to notice this, as much as its easy done, leads one to only one conclusion of blame.

I don't wish to muck fling but whomever checked the train upon brake loss to my mind was responsible, regardless of whom should.

They will have both signed for the same rule book.

As stated, I am not aware of the repercussions but I have lost friends in similar incidents.

2 at Tebay as it happens.

Not nice.

Mac.

I take the likes as support guys and thank you very much for that.

I did make a mistake to be honest in the original text.

The guard is responsible for the train,

the driver for its safe running.

Been a very long 14 days baws deep gentlemen so please forgive me.

Mac.

Here's a WR freight image, through and through. If this was a cake, we'd be slicing it.

http://www.railbrit....te.php?id=40660

(fishcake?)

The fireman appears to have left the lid open on the tender filler and a lattice signal post has got itself wedged inside. I do hope the driver notices before he reaches the first overbridge....

• 2 months later...

Archived