Aberdeen Postal

bahram

Can anyone help with the route of the postal that used to leave Aberdeen about 3pm, picked up mail on to the TPO from the line side apparatus at Stonehaven about 3.15 ish? Did this train go down the Cale to Perth or down to Edinburgh and then across to Carstairs as part of the West Coast Postal?

Aberdeen, Dundee, Perth (was in the timetable as a passenger train from Dundee to Perth until May 1986), past Mossend to Carstairs where it joined onto the 19.30 Glas Cen to Euston.

Consist in 1978: CK, BSK, BPOT, POT, POS, POS

Consist in 1982: BG, TSO, BPOT, POT, POS, POS

Consist on 9/7/85: 37 195, 80456, 80416, 80342, 80394, 4830, 4836, 84501

Consist in 1987/88: BG (as required), BPOT, POT, POS, POS

In the good old days as far as I am aware, the train from Aberdeen to Perth was part of a full passenger service, which then split at Perth with the postal section going on via Stirling, Mossend, Motherwell to Carstairs. this had the great benefit of Producing ex LNER Pacifics on the WCML to Carstairs. If you were at say, Stirling, you could have the sight of this train, hauled by an LNER Pacific, followed/preceded by the afternoon fish train with an ex LMS Duchess. About the only stretch in the UK where this was possible!

My memory of this train was in the middle fifties until the mid 1960s, and it is very true about the variety of locomotives. As far as where the pick up apparatus were on the line I am not sure, definitely Stonehaven had one, sited between the home starter and the advance starter, there was another just to the north of Gleneagles, Laurencekirk is interesting any idea where abouts? I do not think there was any south of Stirling but could be wrong.

In the good old days as far as I am aware, the train from Aberdeen to Perth was part of a full passenger service, which then split at Perth with the postal section going on via Stirling, Mossend, Motherwell to Carstairs. this had the great benefit of Producing ex LNER Pacifics on the WCML to Carstairs. If you were at say, Stirling, you could have the sight of this train, hauled by an LNER Pacific, followed/preceded by the afternoon fish train with an ex LMS Duchess. About the only stretch in the UK where this was possible!

Here is the train at Mossend in 1963 behind 60527.

The pick up apparatus' on this route in 1898 were at Larbert, Dunblane, Auchterarder, Dunning, Alyth Jn, Forfar, Dubton, Fordoun, Stonehaven. I don't have an official list from a later date, but I do remember mail being exchanged at Coupar Angus in the 1950's when I travelled frequently on the down Postal which attached at Stirling carriages which had left Glasgow Central at 4.00 am. Unfortunately by the time we passed Perth I tended to have nodded off......

Allan F

• 4 years later...
  • 1 year later...

Does anyone have information on the make up of this train during the early BR era? The original set was wrecked at Ardler Junction in July 1948 and I am looking for details of what replaced this. Vehicle types etc. would be most welcome.

Thanks

John

I too am keen to ascertain the formation of the Aberdeen portion from 1948 to the early 1960's.Also, I know the train conveyed passenger vehicles in the up direction as far as Perth, what about the down direction? I believe the down postal arrived in Aberdeen around 0800 in the morning, and the vehicles were then taken to Kittybrewster for turning. Thanks, Mike

Archived