Handbuilding turnouts, using gauges

Hello Lea, I see you live in the north east. Is it anywhere the Yorkshire coast. I live in Whitby and would be happy to give you a bit of help. I work in EM but build track in OO as well, slip points, three throws as well as points on curves etc. It isn't rocket science - honest.

Derek

• 2 years later...

I see we haven't posted on this thread for a while so here's what I've been up to these past few evenings. As Derek has said - building points isn't rocket science.

Just fitted this junction to 'Wharfeside' this afternoon.

post-10324-0-92711800-1408994835.jpg

This arrangement allows trains on the fiddleyard up sidings to be reversed and run onto the down main. Still to wire up all the droppers and add the relays but twisting the wires together has proved it all works as it should.

Dave Franks.

Someone has asked the question, what are the off-centre springs on the tiebars for if you're going to be fitting pointmotors?

I temporarily fit the springs so that the points can be tested whilst being built and be sure the switch blades are correct when fitted to the layout then you can fit motors later.

Dave Franks.

• 5 months later...

Been a bit quiet on this thread of late, is everyone finished their handbuilt track projects???

Me? Only got maybe four more points to build and I'm finished the fiddleyard for Wharfeside.

post-10324-0-56555800-1422790281.jpg

All the loops now up and running with temporary wiring.

post-10324-0-83516600-1422790371.jpg

Crossover feeds are switched by three Tortoise motors all wired to feed certain sections of the crossing, some sections required to be switched by one motor for one route then through another motor for the other route, no relays or auxiliary power needed, it works well.

Dave Franks.

Hi John, thanks very much for the comments and thanks too to all the button clickers. Most of the points were built on various jigs and checked for alignment on the layout before wire droppers were added and then painted so it was a bit like RTR track but track that had been built to fit the situation. 

The track on the scenic side is C&L EM flexi with the pointwork being C&L components on ply sleepers.

All the best,

Dave Franks

• 3 months later...

It's done..... The fiddleyard for Wharfeside that is.

Forty odd points and countless yards of SMP track in under two years, must be a record, for me at least.

post-10324-0-42590400-1431438279.jpg

So now begins the mess of wiring this lot up, all the droppers were added at the tracklaying stage and although it's all been well tested by twisting these together I'm sure some anomalies will show up....

post-10324-0-18192700-1431438541.jpg

A lot of hours spent planning and building the pointwork to give a smooth run into the loops and sidings. Reversing a 40 wagon train in and out of the sidings is a joy to behold but the record stands at 115 wagons in and out with out derailment. There was a few comments of 'smart-arse' that night, eh guys....

I believe though it's all down to using decent gauges, testing the parts of the points as one builds them, looking along the track for kinks and dips as it is laid out and above all, taking your time to get it right first time. Okay, I am a smart-arse then.

All the best,

Dave.

Archived