Neil's Revolutionary Tramway

Neil

I like your weathered dining table :D

Looking at the scale (provided by the electrical connection in the background) it looks more like a cake base. Perhaps that's what Neil had for tea?? :yahoo:

Regs

Ian

• RMweb Premium

Morning all. The story starts at the dog shop (animal welfare charity shop) in Machynlleth. We had been on the lookout for one of those glass domes to cover plate of cakes for some time. A couple of months ago one turned up in the shop and came home with us. As well as the glass dome it had a glass plate set into a turned wooden base. The base wasn't wanted, I put it to one side.

At about this time I was looking for photos of Koppel narrow gauge electric locos on the net. I was intending to build one for my proposed new 009 layout the Ganllwyd Tramway. I'd got some of the bits cut out when I found this website. Thoughts drifted off at the usual tangent, to the possibility of something with a Latin American feel. I already had a pair of part finished carriages I could deploy.

post-6793-0-67787600-1309250202_thumb.jpg

Then the challenge entered the mix, and it was a comment that the 20" could be in the vertical if one was sufficiently half baked to want to do it. Running the ruler over the wooden base I found it to be 11" in diameter, game on. The wooden base has a recess turned into it, I've cut a disc of mdf to fit into that recess, so that the base itself can be reused for other projects. What we see here, and in the very first photo of this thread, is the mdf base, a nine inch diameter circle of 009 track soldered up and the street surface added in air drying clay.

post-6793-0-46919800-1309250569_thumb.jpg

Currently on the workbench are a building that will form the centrepiece of the layout based on this photo, and a 1950's Chevy pick up undergoing serious distressing.

• RMweb Premium

Here's a photo of the centrepiece building, shops and apartments above. It won't be the only structure, there is a station and workshop to construct that will adjoin the rear and sides of the main block. But for the moment I've run out of large bits of plasticard so progress will have to wait till I restock next Tuesday.

post-6793-0-16051700-1309370247_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Oh dear, doesn't a month fly by. I've just realised there's not long to go till the Corris Model Railway and Toy Exhibition, so I'd better get my finger out. This weekend the dust has been blown off the centrepiece building and the spiders re-homed. I've finished off lining the arches with 20thou and made a start on building the shop fronts to the lower floor. Inside but not apparent a floor has gone in and dividing walls for the first floor. These will support the next floor up. I've also cobbled together three sets of french windows by cutting and shutting some Ratio signal box windows, these await the carcass of the building to be painted before sticking in.

post-6793-0-22075700-1312648435_thumb.jpg

Over the past month I did have the time and motivation to spoil a Chevy pick up that came all the way from Hong Kong courtesy of e-bay. It'll look lots worse than this when I've finally done with it.

post-6793-0-06166600-1312648566_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Looking like a lot of fun Neil. Will there be overhead wires?B) :P

That's certainly the intention John, though they will probably be the last bits to appear on the layout. Somewhere upstairs I have all the bits for this Haitian loco if the electric knitting fails to appear in time for the Corris Model Railway and Toy Exhibition.

This looks lovely Neil! The tram has a lot of character and I love the peeling paint on the red coach :)

And, oddly perhaps, it manages to make some of your other projects look positively mainstream! :lol:

This looks lovely Neil! The tram has a lot of character and I love the peeling paint on the red coach :)

And, oddly perhaps, it manages to make some of your other projects look positively mainstream! :lol:

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Doesn't time fly when there's an exhibition in the offing. First the bad news, both the overhead wiring and the Krauss steam tram have failed to materialise in time for this weekends Corris Model Railway and Toy Exhibition (see exhibition calendar for details) however a bit of a blitz over the last few days and at least the layout/diorama is starting to look presentable.

post-6793-0-13130700-1314213241.jpg

post-6793-0-54583800-1314213280.jpg

Sixty years earlier ....

post-6793-0-07781400-1314213452.jpg

Archived