Loco hauled Mk3's

Simon_R

14 hours ago, Flood said:

Just one clarification, my knowledge only extends to about 1996 at best. I don't have any knowledge of the use of Mk3a stock after privatisation but my 2001 Coaching Stock Pocket Book does have all the Mk3a/b stock as Virgin West Coast.

Correct, no loco hauled Mk3 stock ever made it onto Cross-Country apart from summer Saturday "hire ins". When the Mk3's were displaced on WCML by the Pendolinos they mostly went to Anglia, with smaller quantities ending up in other roles such as Wrexham & Shopshire, charter rakes, scratch rakes like the North Berwick 90's and conversion to HST trailers. Before the WCML Mk3's were released XC had the full fleet of Voyagers in service.

4 hours ago, ChrisH-UK said:

Additional info

Some of the Motorail GUVS had B5 bogies, and until 1991 any southbound service with a DVT on were conventionally hauled with the loco attached to the DVT. After this the northbound service had the vans attached to the DVT

Hi Chris,

There certainly was a hotchpotch of configurations, occasionally made even more strange should there be DVT or locomotive failure !

Gibbo.

On 21/02/2021 at 11:09, fiftyfour fiftyfour said:

Correct, no loco hauled Mk3 stock ever made it onto Cross-Country apart from summer Saturday "hire ins". When the Mk3's were displaced on WCML by the Pendolinos they mostly went to Anglia, with smaller quantities ending up in other roles such as Wrexham & Shopshire, charter rakes, scratch rakes like the North Berwick 90's and conversion to HST trailers. Before the WCML Mk3's were released XC had the full fleet of Voyagers in service.

Being pedantic AXC has about 16 Mk3a in service. 

• RMweb Premium
32 minutes ago, Bomag said:

Being pedantic AXC has about 16 Mk3a in service. 

Being pedantic those are formed into HST sets and this thread is about loco hauled Mk3s

(yes I know there have been some conversions over the years from one to the other but the point is a Mk3 cannot be both due to the different electrical system used within a HST set).                                                                                           

• Like 1

3 hours ago, phil-b259 said:

Being pedantic those are formed into HST sets and this thread is about loco hauled Mk3s

(yes I know there have been some conversions over the years from one to the other but the point is a Mk3 cannot be both due to the different electrical system used within a HST set).                                                                                           

The quote was that no loco hauled Mk3 ever made it to Cross-country; while accurate in itself was not fully correct. As far as I am aware the Mk3a still have the original electrical systems, they have the 3 way jumpers and an additional module to covert 415c ac it to standard ETH. There are some significant differences between Mk3a FOs/TSOs and Mk3, you cannot just swap the plugs.

• Informative/Useful 1

3 hours ago, Bomag said:

The quote was that no loco hauled Mk3 ever made it to Cross-country; while accurate in itself was not fully correct. As far as I am aware the Mk3a still have the original electrical systems, they have the 3 way jumpers and an additional module to covert 415c ac it to standard ETH. There are some significant differences between Mk3a FOs/TSOs and Mk3, you cannot just swap the plugs.

the "conversion to HST trailer" comment encompassed those. The earlier poster thought they had travelled on loco hauled Mk3's out of Reading, which they could only ever have done on the sleeper.

1 hour ago, fiftyfour fiftyfour said:

the "conversion to HST trailer" comment encompassed those. The earlier poster thought they had travelled on loco hauled Mk3's out of Reading, which they could only ever have done on the sleeper.

The earlier poster had managed to splice multiple memories together and has been set right :)