Heljan 47 (two tone green era)

• RMweb Premium

Good evening. If anyone has detailed a Heljan 47 I'd be very grateful for tips and also what to use and from where I might get those parts (or how to fabricate them). Seemingly the body is too wide to take the lovely new (Shawplan?) fan grilles but A1 Models do one that fits the Heljan roof shape. Is that correct?

I've acquired four of these machines in almost new condition and want at least a couple of them to look better on close inspection at the front of the layout!

many thanks,

Phil @36E

The Shawplan fans will be fine! I feel Shawplan deserve our support given the huge effort Brian is going to!

I've fitted the older Shawplan fans to countless Heljan 47s and they certainly don't look as if the roof space is too wide. So you'll have no problem with them or the EE version.

With regards general things, there's a fair bit in this thread here -

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/28941-class-47-underframe-details

It's based on a Lima model but lots of it can be applied to 47s from other manufacturers.

This is a model of a Virgin Cross Country 47 I made some time ago -

http://eastmoor.blogspot.com/2011/04/rip-imeche.html

Most of the work was concerned with improving the underframe, the Heljan effort is rather basic and a little work here will really pay dividends.

Finally new glazing, I use 15 thou clear Evergreen sheet, really has a big impact! Or, Shawplan may be adding the Heljan model to their range of Laserglaze range which will save a lot of time!

Hope that's of some use :)

• RMweb Premium

Oh yes James. A double bonus really as I have 4 Lima 47s hiding in the loft and was too ashamed to mention them. I've run them in and they are sweet, however I have no idea if it will be worth trying to DCC Sound them. If not then I shall either EM them anyway or pass them on when detailed (or not depending on my motivation).:rolleyes:

Glad to be of help 60022!

I wouldn't be embarrassed by your Lima 47s! Those who comment are normally the less informed types who drool when they see those hideously unrealistic white LEDs on the front of their slab sided Hornby 31s! ;)

If the motor bogies are quiet, there's no reason why you can't add sound. I've added sound to a Lima 40 before with decent results. With work, the Lima 47 can be made into a very pleasing model, for, as I hope my thread shows, very little outlay.

Raffles, I can't get on Shawplan's blog from work to check! So thanks for clarifying that :)

• RMweb Premium

The Lima 47s represent a slightly later era than I shall/will be using; sectorisation livery (is that the term?) So I could happily hack away at them and then have a short exhibition 'phase' where sector livery stuff appears for a time or blue/sector transition stuff. All good fun really and as you say, not expensive. I just can't imagine taking a saw/drill/file/whatever to a brand new Baccy product (diesel or steam):blink:

I am new to diesel era modelling which DCC Sound lends itself to so well and need to practise but not take risks with expensive stuff right from the start. I probably would be one of those drooling at a 31 with big light things, however I just like looking at stuff that 'looks the part' and it's my s*dd*ng layout. If I do exhibit it I will have a large disclaimer on display and adopt the sorry I can't hear you approach to rivet men :laugh:.

Having said that, as I have only hazy memories of those heady blue era shed bashing days with my lad, I really appreciate real advice - who wouldn't?

Are you involved with the Hull exhibition? If so I could ask permission to come and pick your brain.

Thanks again, Phil @ 36E

Are you involved with the Hull exhibition? If so I could ask permission to come and pick your brain.

I will be there all weekend with part of Botanic Gardens - the Scalefour Society East Yorkshire Area Group will be demonstrating so feel free to come and pick my little brain :)

I'll have various diesels with me!

Well it'll only be part of it - but come back in 2013 and the full layout will be making its debut!

We'll also be there to advise anyone who wants to model in P4 too!

Archived