2mm FS points made by others

nigelb

I am lucky to have a lady friend who is considering making 2mm FS pointwork

this being one of the biggest holds on people getting started in 2MM FS

she is a jewelry maker by hobby and is interested on how much people would consider a fair price for standard points .

As she becomes more experianced she will be ( if it takes off ) taking commisions for more complex point work

regards Nigel

PS the first ones will be mine for grandborough

Nigel

Good luck to your friend in building finescale track, joining the 2mm Fine Scale Society may introduce her to the parts which are on offer and those providing a track building service.

There are a few who are able to run a business supplying bespoke track having built up a customer base and reputation over time, those wishing to join their ranks should be encouraged as more modellers are wanting better turnouts but do not have the time and or the skill to make them.

Your friend will have to produce items to see what customers require, and find a price level they are willing to pay. Whilst it is desirable to achieve the prices charged by the masters in this craft, new commers into the market have to build up their reputation first.

I have been looking for track gauges for N gauge using code 55 rail and its difficult, 2mm finescale using smaller code rail may be easier though with support from the 2mm Fine Scale Society!!

• RMweb Gold

Hello Nigel

Good luck to your friend if she decides to proceed with her venture.

My suspicion is that most 2mm modellers choose 2mm because they want to build their own track, and have the skills, equipment and patience to do it.

However, where there may well be a gap in the market is for a set of "standard" turnouts (which she could presumably batch produce to reduce costs) that are designed to work with N Gauge stock running on Easitrack plain track.

If properly promoted it may well be she could create a comfortable niche market for herself.

cheers

Ben A.

• RMweb Gold

I have been looking for track gauges for N gauge using code 55 rail and its difficult, 2mm finescale using smaller code rail may be easier though with support from the 2mm Fine Scale Society!!

Hi Nigel, sorry to be pedantic but its the 2mm Scale Association.

cheers Jerry

The 2FS 'tag' was created to describe the track and wheel standards, and to try to differentiate between 2mm N gauge and 2mm finescale - there seemed to be quite a lot of confusion and it was felt we needed something snappier than 2mm Finescale which is a bit of a mouthful! Anyway, typing "2mm Fine Scale Society" into google still takes you to the 2mm Scale Association website, so hopefully everyone will find us (and join us if they're sufficiently interested! ;))

Going back to Nigel's original post, perhaps he could bring some samples of his friend's work to the 2mm AGM next month - I'm sure there would be a lot of interest!

Andy

mmmmm

1st thing sorry about the society gaff . i do make occasional faux pas ( sits in the corner and writes 100 times

It is the 2mm Scale Association

It is the 2mm Scale Association.

I think i will get her to build a few points for me before she moves out into the real world but i will def keep people informed as to progress

• RMweb Gold

mmmmm

1st thing sorry about the society gaff . i do make occasional faux pas ( sits in the corner and writes 100 times

It is the 2mm Scale Association.

I should think so too. Now don't do it again!! ;)

Jerry

• RMweb Gold

is Jerry a swot ? :mosking:

No, simply pointing out the wrong name - imagine the posts if a loco had been incorectly named. Note the aplology for being pedantic in the first post and the double exclamation mark and smiley emoticon in the second.

Anybody making anything!!

Jerry

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

I think i will get her to build a few points for me before she moves out into the real world but i will def keep people informed as to progress

I enquired about points from the person in the yearbook, and was led to believe they were very busy and there was likely to be a wait of about 2 months.

- so that would suggest there is probably plenty room for another person, ie there are more people wanting points than people available to make them!

I do want to be able, and keep trying to make my own, but if I get stuck you might be able to put me down for a few! :mail:

If you are not affiliated to the 2mm FS you could also probably sell a few to people who wanted N gauge standards to match easytrack plain track?

Archived