Recreating Modern track , not using peco.

rob D2

Hi,

As I embark on another new project, my thoughts turn to what track to use.

I had hoped to use peco code 75 , but I am increasingly disturbed by the look of it. I am thinking exactoscale, but upon looking at the website I am bewildered by the descriptions (no photos)

So all I want is some concrete sleepered track for the platform, some older looking wooden sleepered stuff for the sidings.

Can anyone just list what I would need from exactoscale ?

4mm scale 00 16.5mm gauge FastTrack flexible track bases (4FT) 4FT 104A 00 16.5mm gauge FastTrack for BH rail (2 metres) 6.00 4FT 106A 00 16.5mm concrete sleeper FastTrack for FB rail (2 metres) 7.00

Wooden sleepered and concrete sleepered track.

Any pointwork requirements? Exactoscale don't do 00 kits, you'd have to make up your own from components and if you wanted vees and switches you'd have to look at C+L parts as Exactoscale assemblies are P4 only.

wow, that stuff looks good. Do normal peco code 75 rail joiners suffice ?

I haven't tried them yet, I'll have a go tonight. I can't see why not, the rail is similar section to Peco, just slightly taller.

Cosmetic joiners would look better though.

Edit:

Standard SL10 joiners fit but are a little loose and would need tightening up with pliers.

Personally I prefer copper clad but I have yet to find a satisfactory pandrol for concrete sleepers. Colin Craig does some great etches, I e-mailed him regarding the following image (the first one below) that can be found on his web site:

[the sleepers on the far right] "are Exactoscale P4 Track Co Fast track sleepers. They are not perfect, but streets ahead of any other injection moulded system.By using 1.6mm copperclad sleepers with scale spacers, my systems are compatible for rail height. Unfortunately the 3 dimensional aspect of my Pandrol PR clip casting does show up the injection moulded compromises, but at least there is now an opportunity to model reasonably accurate track."

The second image is another of the Exactoscale track.

All in all I think I will be using both Colin's etches and Exactoscale on my next layout.

post-12874-0-25964800-1317679698_thumb.jpg

post-12874-0-86647100-1317679748_thumb.jpg

Archived