Football Ground (OO)

Hi all,

In preperation for moving house, I have started planning a new layout. As I naturally can't begin work until we have moved in to the new property, I thought I may as well start investing some time in dioramas which can be inserted onto the layout. All along, to coincide with my unhealthy obsession with football, I have intended to have a small non-league football ground on my layout.

Now - doing some basic maths, the smallest pitch in OO gauge, using the minimum dimensions of 100x50yards, would be 4' x 2'.

Here is where I'm going to take some modellers license into play. I reckon I could get away with a 15% reduction, and still ensure it looks big enough to be realistic. This would give a pitch size of roughly 41" x 20" - a reduction of 8" x 4" in length and width respectively.

Taking into account the need for some hard standing and a small stand/floodlights, I think 4' x 2' would be a reasonable starting point for the whole ground.

Now - where to start?

Well - to keep it light, but durable, I should think a 3mm hardwood sheet would do the trick. Priced at just £3.48 from B&Q, it's a cheap start to the project.

Following on from this - a suitable grass mat will be applied which will then have the pitch markings applied using a correction fluid, and a very steady hand!

Goalposts will be scratch built, and figures will be added from the Langley Models range (2 teams plus referee and linesman as a set for around £16).

A railing and advertising boards will be positioned around the pitch, before work commences on the hard standing/terracing/stand.

All pie in the sky for now - but should I accidentally purchase a lump of 4 x 2 wood this week, things may progress!

Modern era. Well - technically flexible. Will be running everything from Regional Railways SuperSprinters to Cross Country Voyagers...

The reason I ask, is how accurate do you want it to be, you will have to give some thought to the style of goalposts that you are using if you are being critical on time scale.

Godd Luck in your quest !

But even small grounds are 'huge' !

This is a (not very clear) aerial view of Ninian Park taken during the 1990s when the capacity was about 21,000 ( small by Premiership standards, large by non-league ) a far cry from the days when 65,000 watched Cardiff City v Arsenal, and when I stood amongst 50,000 to watch Brian Clarke head home and we beat Real Madrid 1-0 in the Cup Winners Cup.

Brian R

post-1599-0-50628400-1318798934_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Considered it, but with it being a non-league ground, the likelihood of it having it's own station would be pretty slim.

They didnt close St. James' Park halt when Exeter City dropped into the conference ;)

Just thought - you don't have to populate your stand and terraces with dozens (Swansea City) of figures, or even thousands (Cardiff City) - why not leave them empty, and have ground staff with pitchforks and motor mower tending the pitch, and players training ?

Brian R

(tongue firmly in cheek !)

I like this idea.

It immediately put me in mind of my local Conference North side's old ground, which would have made a characterful ramsackle modelling subject - a grass bank at one end with two "portable classroom" type buildings for the changing rooms and social club at the top, level down one side of the pitch with a single crash barrier, apart from a 350 seat stand with recycled plastic seating from Leicester City, absolutely nothing, other than a barrier behind the other goal, and a high fence to stop the ball leaving the ground and down the remaining side a low terrace with covered for two thirds of it's length by corrugated (iron and perspex) roofing. Only four turnstiles and a random collection of toilets and catering shacks/vans.Capacity 2,800? The ground backed onto industrial units down one side.

A ground slightly past it's sell-by-date might make a pleasant contrast alongside the shiny new trains.

If you wanted a match to be in progress why not make it a reserve match as the proverbial "two men and a dog" would be a suitable crowd for such a game?

You can look at grounds from the air using Google satellite view to get a good idea of a plan for the ground. Try somewhere like Chasetown for example, my personal favourite minimalist ground from last season.

Isn't there a danger at exhibitions that people would stand around watching the game instead of the trains though? You'd have to serve hot drinks and meat pies too............. :mosking:

Try somewhere like Chasetown for example, my personal favourite minimalist ground from last season.

This aerial photo did make me chuckle; a lovely cameo of an inept groundsman, having finished touching up the centre line, making his way to the penalty box, not realising his machine is faithfully lining out his route there. I bet he swore when he looked back at his handiwork :sorry:

Phil

This aerial photo did make me chuckle; a lovely cameo of an inept groundsman, having finished touching up the centre line, making his way to the penalty box, not realising his machine is faithfully lining out his route there. I bet he swore when he looked back at his handiwork :sorry:

Phil

Priceless!

Phil

Did anyone else notice though that if you trace the line back from the linesman, once it crosses the centre line you can follow it back to the sideline except it isn't painted, there is only the mark of the lining machine being rolled along?

ground3.jpg

Will be following your progress with great interest. St.Simon links to my layout in a previous post, and I went for modelling about a third of the ground, stretching to the front of the baseboard, and with a double track railway line running behind the end terrace. My baseboards are appr. 70 cm deep. I modelled the pitch about full size.

Stored away at the moment, I intend to put a match on some time in the future, and have just discovered that Langley Models do footballers. There are some H0 footballers available, but they are a bit on the small side for 00. My ground is free lance, and in size is probably a mixture between the old division four and conference. It is modelled pre-Taylor report, with a main stand and terracing behind the goal and on the opposite side.

ex_2.jpg

ground.jpg

ground2.jpg

ground4.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Worth a look, maybe, at Forres Mechanics ground - well pictured on google earth and streetview. It's right alongside the A96, and the erstwhile Highland line 'twixt Inverness and Aberdeen. Just one stand, on the halfway line..

Archived