WISBECH AND UPWELL

swisspeat

If you have an interest in G15/Y6's you might be able to help with a couple of detail differences - there looks to be a couple of different side window options - flat top, curved top and internal opening.  Also Some seemed to have a guard plate around the cab steps.  Not a problem making these options but I don't want to make a mongrel with the wrong features.

I also have a drawing of luggage van no.9 somewhere so should be able to draw that as well.  The only vehicle I cant find reasonable drawings for is passenger brake no.16

Simon.

Simon, you have a PM

Merry Christmas!

Thinking about it... an HO scale version might be something I'd be tempted by two. As a stand-alone little project it could be quite intriguing. A Tram loco, a coach and a few wagons and fruit vans would suffice. I suppose the latter items would be the problem.

Food for thought mind.

David

Nothing is a problem modlling HO,apart from finding r2r chassis for some locos. I have already designed a BR 16ton coal wagon.The old Lima vans are not too bad, but with drawings , different wagons could be produced.

British road vehickes are not so common, but depending on period can be found. The old EKO range from Spain was reindroduced a couple of years ago under the name TOY-EKO. Basic , but a start. In better quality ranges there are various minis, including police and post office ones, a Morris Minor, but have to look carefully as some are LHD(icluding windsceen wipers)

Ertle used to do a range of metalThomas items. The Toby was't far off HO, but a 3D printed one would be easier.

• 3 weeks later...

A little update on the W&U stock.  I've ordered a couple of test items to check if they can be printed.  I've also drawn some more stock.  I've drawn W&U van no.9 which was simple as I had some accurate drawings although not any detailed photos.

WUT-No9%207mm_zpsliamzjfv.jpg

The second item is GER brake 16 which wasn't as easy as I couldn't find any accurate/reliable drawings or detailed photos.  Another issue was that several photos in the various W&U books had pictures showing brake 16 but on closer inspection appear to other similar coaches with different details (unless the ducket and end details were modified at some point during its use on the line?)

GER%20brake%2016_zpsfqjkalfl.jpg

I am seriously impressed.  I very excited about the G15/Y6 0-4-0 and the 4-wheel and bogie coach.  Van No.9 and Brake No.16 are the icing on the cake.

Complete Edwardian W&U trains await.

I look forward to all these being available; it's going to be a very expensive month when that happens!

A little update on the W&U stock.  I've ordered a couple of test items to check if they can be printed.  I've also drawn some more stock.  I've drawn W&U van no.9 which was simple as I had some accurate drawings although not any detailed photos.

WUT-No9%207mm_zpsliamzjfv.jpg

The second item is GER brake 16 which wasn't as easy as I couldn't find any accurate/reliable drawings or detailed photos.  Another issue was that several photos in the various W&U books had pictures showing brake 16 but on closer inspection appear to other similar coaches with different details (unless the ducket and end details were modified at some point during its use on the line?)

GER%20brake%2016_zpsfqjkalfl.jpg

Can you tell me what books/articles you consulted for the brake #16? I'm happy to go through what I have and try find more info on it if I can, but there's no sense me pouring over information you've already read/checked :)

Normally I'd say to be wary of the PDH drawings as there are some inaccuracies, (most noticably the Class 04 which has a standard body with skirts and cowcatchers added in that book, whereas the real thing was quite different). However, in this case, I was able to cross reference with the book from Gadsden, Whetmath and Stafford-Baker publish in 1966 and the measurements all check out.

The Oakwood Press publication is the one still missing from my collection, but if you can get your hands on Branch Line to Upwell from Middleton Press, #16 can be seen in pictures 54 and 99, the only additions I can see at this stage is an inner frame around the windows in the doors, meaning the bottom of the window is a little higher than the fixed ones in the panels beside them. This feature can also be spotted on pages 4 and 15 of the Wild Swan publication, The Wisbech & Upwell tramway. Likewise, pages 26 and 42 of Andrew Ingram's Centenary Album may be of use to you for visual confirmation, however I have been unable to find further measurements so far to aid you in your model.

Normally I'd say to be wary of the PDH drawings as there are some inaccuracies, (most noticably the Class 04 which has a standard body with skirts and cowcatchers added in that book, whereas the real thing was quite different). However, in this case, I was able to cross reference with the book from Gadsden, Whetmath and Stafford-Baker publish in 1966 and the measurements all check out.

The Oakwood Press publication is the one still missing from my collection, but if you can get your hands on Branch Line to Upwell from Middleton Press, #16 can be seen in pictures 54 and 99, the only additions I can see at this stage is an inner frame around the windows in the doors, meaning the bottom of the window is a little higher than the fixed ones in the panels beside them. This feature can also be spotted on pages 4 and 15 of the Wild Swan publication, The Wisbech & Upwell tramway. Likewise, pages 26 and 42 of Andrew Ingram's Centenary Album may be of use to you for visual confirmation, however I have been unable to find further measurements so far to aid you in your model.

Thanks for the pages - the centenary album page 42 looks useful as it shows one end clearly, I've not been able to find a picture of the other end.

Pic below shows the books I've got on the branch.  Are there any others available?

WampU%20books_zpsxpybhjch.jpg

I have the drawings from GER society. very nice too. It puzzles me that there wasn't a drawing done of the J70 loco, but I found a scan of one online. looks like it is from the Oakwood book, but it has dimensions on it which are enough.

I thought it might be a good idea to compare the two locos, as everyone seems to say they were virtually identical body wize. Well I found that the J70 was on fact slightly longer, which is not really surprising, but are same width. Again the j70 appears to also be slightly taller, which might be why both look the same, as proportionally they are very similar  from side.

Just wondering if there are any other reliable drawings for the J70.

I have the drawings from GER society. very nice too. It puzzles me that there wasn't a drawing done of the J70 loco, but I found a scan of one online. looks like it is from the Oakwood book, but it has dimensions on it which are enough.

I thought it might be a good idea to compare the two locos, as everyone seems to say they were virtually identical body wize. Well I found that the J70 was on fact slightly longer, which is not really surprising, but are same width. Again the j70 appears to also be slightly taller, which might be why both look the same, as proportionally they are very similar  from side.

Just wondering if there are any other reliable drawings for the J70.

The NRM have a J70 works drawing in their records.  Do the GER society have a set of drawings for W&U van 16?

Added a bit more detail to no.16, still struggling to get some end detail shots.  

GER%20brake%2016%205.1_zpscoy0ttlg.jpg

The picture below shows the end - does anyone know that the arrows are pointing at? Are they lamps on lamp brackets or lights fitted to the end?

no.16%20end%20lamps_zpswwd3j0w2.jpg

The GER socety only have a couple of collections. They have most of the locos, making it odd that the J70 is not there. Only rollingstock is the bogie tramcar and the coach from Kelvedon (?). Nothing else. I am still trying to either find ny copies of Model railways magazines with the dawings or aquire copies, but for some reason those magazines are not easyto find. I might have copies as covers look famliar but if so they are at my house in France. I have enough info from the drawings I already have, so I may continue with my HO version.

For other coaches one source might be HMRS as they certainly have some GER items.

The picture below shows the end - does anyone know that the arrows are pointing at? Are they lamps on lamp brackets or lights fitted to the end?

no.16%20end%20lamps_zpswwd3j0w2.jpg

Looking at the evidence I have, (basically that picture in a book,) I'd conclude that they are indeed lamps on brackets. The placement would certainly suggest that's what they are.

• 2 weeks later...

I did ask, but response was no, so I dsigned my own model for my British HO project. Print received , motorized(using an ENDO bogie), . It might not have as much detail, but does have interior(basic), it does have reasonable cowcatches(minimum thicknesses ).

br-ho-box6-sm.jpg

I am working on building both the bogie and short balcony coaches. I have the bogie one, but have not fitted chassis yet.

I am currenting building one of my mini layouts, with a Lancashire/NW theme, so justifying a GER tram loco might be tricky. The Y6 locos were starting to be less used prior to WW2 and with the passenfger service closing, I have reaoned that the mill owner up this way wanted a loco and some small coaches to transport his workers from mainline up to his mill. As much of the route was along a road , he thought a tram loco would be best, so he bought one of the locos and a couple of coaches.

The wagons are old Lima HO, repainted. I also have a BR 16t wagon 3D printed. It really is noticable how much smaller HO is, and how the track gauge looks better.

I did ask, but response was no, so I dsigned my own model for my British HO project. Print received , motorized(using an ENDO bogie), . It might not have as much detail, but does have interior(basic), it does have reasonable cowcatches(minimum thicknesses ).

br-ho-box6-sm.jpg

I am working on building both the bogie and short balcony coaches. I have the bogie one, but have not fitted chassis yet.

I am currenting building one of my mini layouts, with a Lancashire/NW theme, so justifying a GER tram loco might be tricky. The Y6 locos were starting to be less used prior to WW2 and with the passenfger service closing, I have reaoned that the mill owner up this way wanted a loco and some small coaches to transport his workers from mainline up to his mill. As much of the route was along a road , he thought a tram loco would be best, so he bought one of the locos and a couple of coaches.

The wagons are old Lima HO, repainted. I also have a BR 16t wagon 3D printed. It really is noticable how much smaller HO is, and how the track gauge looks better.

Very nice, though judging from the houses climbing in the background, it's nowhere near Wisbech or Upwell!

Is there any chance of the 4mm / 00 wagon and coach to be printed without W-irons and axle boxes to make the fitting of compensated or sprung W-iron units easier?

Seperate axle boxes printed as part of the body plus a spare would be useful if not too much trouble.

Gordon A

started on the bogie coach. Although slightly too big, the Rivarossi Wild West coachebogies  are good enough for me. I will take a bit off top of bogie side carefullt and add some framework under coach body.

br-ho-box7-sm.jpg

I will also add to the story and the mill owner upgraded chassis. The preserved coaxh is running on new chassis and is not exactly like original, plus there were some chames made afte leaving the Wisbech line as well.

br-ho-box6-sm.jpg

Cracking stuff Simon and very intriguing! I'd love to see more of both the tram loco and the layout too!!

David

I am seriously impressed. I very excited about the G15/Y6 0-4-0 and the 4-wheel and bogie coach. Van No.9 and Brake No.16 are the icing on the cake.

Complete Edwardian W&U trains await.

I look forward to all these being available; it's going to be a very expensive month when that happens!

Me too! Cannot wait to see the final product when it becomes available.

• RMweb Gold

I have just bought the MRC 1982 Annual - for no other reason than it was cheap - and in the middle, without any related article, are 4mm/1ft drawings of GER G15 no. 132, with a small mono photo showing it with light coloured (or possibly red) skirts, GER bogie coach No. 8 and third class tramcar for the Kelvedon & Tollesbury Branch.

As well as the W&U print I added above, Dad's archive has this photo taken at the time of the S&D Centenary Parade in 1925.

post-14351-0-45948600-1486634782_thumb.jpg

• 4 months later...

Archived