Farish Class 20

HealeyMills

Dave, for it's next trick, program the "Kadee Shuffle" into the Zimo and a single function key press will perform the backup and pull forwards to uncouple move for the Dapol couplings.

I wonder how reliable this exercise is going to be with the (almost mandatory) double header.

(for the record I'm currently sitting behind a Genesis P42DC 4250hp en route from Toronto to Ottawa, nice service but a slightly rough ride. I'm glad I'm wearing coffee coloured pants!)

Peter

• RMweb Premium

Hi Robert

The latest Farish powered model I have seen closely (Desiro) has the power pick-ups in free rolling axle cups collecting via the pin points. I had assumed they would standardise on this system. Is that not the case? Has the 20 reverted to wiper pick ups? Shame!

cheers

Ben A.

Hi Ben,

Does this refer to the power bogie or just the other bogies? The current 108/101's I have use pin-point pick-up on all non powered wheels, but wipers on the powered one, and I had presumed that this arrangement had continued with the 4-CEP and Desiro. Is there now pin-point collection on the powered one's as well?

Izzy

With some help from Nigel I've now go my Chopper shuffling. Below is a link to a video of it in action.

This is using Dapol magnetic knuckle couplers and magnet which is sitting at sleeper leve. After intermittent reliability I've given up on using these magnets below sleeper level - just no strong enough.

The class 20 is very smooth with the Zimo MX621N as evidenced here.

You'll see the loco pull up, I press a function key, and after the shufflle the loco is driven away sans fish vans.

Many thanks for your help Nigel.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ngaugewaverley/7988164942/in/photostream

Cheers

Dave

Dave,

glad to see its working with the shuffle. I might try to tweak the shuffle speed down a little further, but its a personal preference thing.

Also, if you want the shuffle to work further back in the train (eg. detaching a guard's van) its necessary to increase the distances that the loco shuffles back and forwards to allow for the compression of couplings along the entire train.

Final issue, anyone using a PowerCab has to either stop the train with the throttle at the end of shuffling, or alter the PowerCab's setting for when it sends stop-bits. Otherwise the Zimo loco will keep running after it has finished the shuffle. I've only seen this issue on NCE controllers. The underlying issue is complex, but if anyone really wants to know, send a PM.

For under-track magnets, it needs something much stronger than the standard magnets. Magnetic fields decay at the square of distance. At track level, the gap is perhaps 2mm at most, whereas below the track, the gap will be nearer 4mm. So, that would be 1/4 the strength by doubling the distance.

When I used Microtrain (Kadee) couplers on a US N-scale layout, I used Kadee O-gauge magnets, cut in half, under the track. They'd work through a thin (perhaps 1mm) wood or card base, plus Peco code-55 sleepers to the rail.

Were I doing it today, I'd try a pair of modern high powered "super" magnets below the track, approximately below each rail at a slight diagonal line. One would need the N-pole upwards, the other the S-pole upwards. I'd try different sizes until I got the one which worked best. I'm not sure if a metal magnetic shunt between the two magnets (bottom faces) would assist or not, so further experiments required.

- Nigel

Edited by Nigelcliffe

• RMweb Premium

Hi , 4 Cep has wipers for pick up on the power bogie - sorry ! Looks to be same mechanicals for class 20 albeit 20 double power bogie. Green one of mine how has yellow ends!

Robert

Thanks. As I use 2mm Association drop-in replacement wheelsets to convert most Farish stuff to 2FS standards I'm actually pleased the current system continues, at least for the present. If the system had changed it would mean these could no longer be used and the original wheels machined to suit, as needs to happen with Dapol stuff, which isn't a huge issue for me, but means it's a one way process.

In actual fact, whilst I think the pin-point system is great for non-powered wheelsets, I'm not really sure it makes any difference with powered ones, since I find no particular difference in reliability of pick-up.

Izzy

• 4 weeks later...

Had my 20 now for a few weeks and going well. I decided to give the worm bearings some oil when I was adding some of the detail bits. I discovered when taking the bogies off that one of the stub axles that the top gears in the bogies run on was not pushed home and working its way out. A 10 second fix to push it back in, but worth checking for anyone whose loco isn't performing correctly or is noisy.

Cheers,

Alan

• RMweb Premium

Thanks. As I use 2mm Association drop-in replacement wheelsets to convert most Farish stuff to 2FS standards I'm actually pleased the current system continues, at least for the present. If the system had changed it would mean these could no longer be used and the original wheels machined to suit, as needs to happen with Dapol stuff, which isn't a huge issue for me, but means it's a one way process.

In actual fact, whilst I think the pin-point system is great for non-powered wheelsets, I'm not really sure it makes any difference with powered ones, since I find no particular difference in reliability of pick-up.

Izzy

The power bogie is wiper pick up but the non powered bogies are via the pin point axle cups Gordon makes a lovely Job of turning the axles although still waiting for 7mm axles to convert the other coaches :sad_mini:

• 2 months later...

Hi all,

So it seems that Graham and Farish have stopped making class 20's in DRS livery, is this correct? (just for clarity, its for N gauge)

If this is true would any one happen to know where I can get one (maybe 2) or someone who is willing to sell them for a reasonable price? Will have money after Christmas, just thought i should put this out there.

Thanks,

Jamie

You're correct, Farish have not decided or announced that they will transfer the DRS livery to their new N Gauge Class 20 Chasis, which is such a shame.

I was in a similar position to you a few months back and managed to pick a couple up from eBay, but as we all know with the older Poole Chasis, they can suffer from split gears and do not compare well to modern mechanisms.

Good luck, hope you can find a couple of good ones like I did.

Just a small comment; the old tooling class 20 can be made into a better model by using the TPM detailing kit. It takes a bit of filing round the windows (to make them the right shape) but it is worth it, although having said that, I didn't file the window aperture, I just painted and stuck the new frames on and it looks OK.

I've got an old TPM detailed one running as a dummy with my new tooling example and they look fine together (in my opinion).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I've had an order in for 2 of these since November 2011 but I'm getting very frustrated with Farish/Bachmann, they were originally supposed to have been delivered in September/October 2012 which of course the 'blue with headcode' & 'green with discs' were but the 'blue/weathered with discs' (371-032) keeps being put back each month, I have emailed Bachmann but as yet they haven't even bothered to reply! 

Edited by WesternKing

I've had an order in for 2 of these since November 2011 but I'm getting very frustrated with Farish/Bachmann, they were originally supposed to have been delivered in September/October 2012 which of course the 'blue with headcode' & 'green with discs' were but the 'blue/weathered with discs' (371-032) keeps being put back each month, I have emailed Bachmann but as yet they haven't even bothered to reply! 

I guess delays are inevitable sometimes,  I'm sure it will be worth the wait though :imsohappy:

It's a shame they don't reply to your email, I guess they must be ultra-busy.  Have you asked your local retailer to contact them as they may be privy to more information?

Cheers

Lee

Just had another email (from the well known retailer in Liverpool) regarding the Farish weathered class 20, saying:

Hello,

We thought you might like to know that this item, which you can see at www.****.com/StockDetail.aspx?SID=38734 is due into stock later this week. You can order this item online now or by giving us a call on xxxx xxx xxxx.

Regards

---------------------------------------------------
xxxxxxx Model Railways
xxxx xxx xxxx
Lines open Mon-Sat 8am-6pm Sun 10am-4pm
---------------------------------------------------

Didn't give you much more time to save did it Stu??? :no:

Cheers
Lee

Edited by HealeyMills