Which is the most user-friendly DCC controller ?

brian777999

Hi too all, I have recently decided too switch too DCC, I tried the Gaugemaster Prodigy Advance 2  but found it too fiddly and the F2 option for my decoders is the cab lighting but the controller is set up for horns and whistles. There answer was too re-program my decoders but as I am new to this I do not know how. I decided too switch too the Hornby Elite as I have borrowed a Select controller and everything works fine. My shop dude says I should stick with the Advance but I am not sure. Any help would be welcome....

The F2 function is just a label - in most US sound projects F0 = lights, F1 = Bell, F2 = whistle. If your decoders use F2 as cab lights, pressing the F2/whistle putton will activate your cab lights (it is the function number that is important as that is what is programmed in the decoder).

I'm not a big fan of the MRC/Gaugemaster controllers, but they do work (and I do quite like the ergonomics of the controller). I'm also not a big fan of the ergonomics of the Elite, but again it does work. I would have no problems using either to run trains. You really need to (if possible) try out as many of the various systems as possible and make your decision based on what works for you.

Adrian

The Select is not a good DCC?? system. It is ,as you say, very restrictive and will not talk to some decoders which is not a fault of the decoders.

It is a fault of the Select.

As to the most user friendly, that is very debatable. As has ben mentioned a lot has to do with the manual.

Some say the NCE system is very user friendly. Personally I did not find it so compared to the lenz system of today.

But I must admit, I started with Lenz 18yrs ago so I suppose I am a little bias.

IMHO thgese are the most user friendly DCC systems that I have used in order.

1. ECoS

2.lenz

3NCE

4 Digitrax

5.Zimo

It depends how much you want to spend and what feels best for you.

Cheers

Ian

I've looked at all the options, read reviews and spoken to those in the know and my next layout will be controlled by NCE DCC system.

I celebrate a big birthday in April and I asked for Digitrains vouchers as gifts from my family to help finance the NCE system for my model railway. Lenz and Digitrax are fine examples too but the NCE ticks all the boxes for me.

I have today gone back too my shop and had the advance 2 back after reading more on the internet. I must admit I did not give it enough time and have learnt a lot more over the last week, I also realised that I wanted a walkabout system and the Elite could not offer me that option...... I now have to learn how to re-write CV options but am sure it can be done.

ECoS, ECoS AND ECoS but I am not biased.

Points for,

Software updates from the manufacturer

User friendly

More features than you can shake a stick at.........

Against

No handheld throttle.

I did a lot of study before I bought it nearly 3 years ago and I never looked back, all in one box it is brilliant.

• RMweb Gold

ECoS, ECoS AND ECoS but I am not biased.

Points for,

Software updates from the manufacturer

User friendly

More features than you can shake a stick at.........

Against

No handheld throttle.

I did a lot of study before I bought it nearly 3 years ago and I never looked back, all in one box it is brilliant.

Try ECoS ControlRadio, it is a handheld controller that talks directly to ECoS. It looks like Bachmann's dynamis but is radio rather than infra-red and is superb.

http://www.digitrains.co.uk/ecommerce/dcc-systems/mid-range/ECoS-radio-control.aspx

Andi

I honestly believe that this is the most user friendly throttle:

http://enginedriver.rrclubs.org/

That lets you use an Android smartphone or Tablet as a handheld wireless throttle.

No unnecessary stuff, all buttons are user definable AND possible to rename.

I'm currently new in this gadget stuff after using a Roco Multimaus for somw years.

I have invested in a Sprog II and is currently looking for a mini-PC to use.

Hi, having looked at the prices for hand held digital controllers cold you outline what is required to employ a 'tablet' and 'sprog'. Or a PC and a sprog.  Are these all you require?

Cheers

Archived