Sound for LMS 10000

ianwales

Best would be a Howes sound file for a Class 40 with a single tone horn.

EDIT: Just been chatting to Bryan and the best that is possible is a healthy approximation using the Class 40 sound file, so it would be a special request from Howes if you ring up, available on the Loksound XL, V3.5 and micro decoder. The whistle Bryan says is far less prominent and has been taken from a bit of sound of them going up Shap.

LMS 10000 had the English Electric 16SVT Mark 1 engine, Class 40 used the English Electric 16SVT MkII engine, so you can see why it would be as good as we can get at this stage

• 2 years later...
I recently went to see Pete Waterman's layout, and he has one of these loco's fitted with a sound chip - it sounded a bit like a class 37. (This is O gauge modelling)

There's loads of clips, showing Pete's layout on you tube.

We watched a few DVDs at club where 10000-1 appeared and we all said 40! They definitely whistled. Go with Cliff and Bryan and tell Waterman he's got it wrong?! LOL

• 2 weeks later...

The class 37 sound will be all wrong. It's based on a twelve cylinder beat rather than the 16 cylinder noise of a 16SVT installed in the the Class 40's and the 10000/1 locos. Hatton';s have a video of their 4mm loco on test and I'm looking forward to receiving mine and maybe a class 40 sound chip to add to it too.

Hi

I put a couple of clips on Youtube of my 7mm scale Howes loksound XL equipped 10001. I haven't a clue how realistic it is - I have had it said there is too much turbo whistle, but hey, I like it!

Cheers

Richard

• Like 2

• 6 years later...

The class 37 sound will be all wrong. It's based on a twelve cylinder beat rather than the 16 cylinder noise of a 16SVT installed in the the Class 40's and the 10000/1 locos. Hatton';s have a video of their 4mm loco on test and I'm looking forward to receiving mine and maybe a class 40 sound chip to add to it too.

It is correct that 10000 has a 16 cylinder engine and the 37 a 12 cylinder engine,  from the Handford recording  of 10000 on Shap, opinions give the 37 as a valid  choice,  remember that 10000 was only 1600 bhp and not the 2000 bhp of a class 40, plus the turbo chargers are very different ( Brown Boveri)?  Pete Waterman's choice  of the 37 for his 10000 was based upon his assessment of  the Handford recording. Of course one day in the distant future we may hear the real thing,  the Ivatt 10000 Society have a vintage 10000 diesel engine that had been a standby diesel generator

Edited by Pandora

• 3 years later...

I know this post is old but I wondered if anyone still reading it? I’m just trying to decide whether to fit the 37 or 40 decoder to my new LMS 10000? . Read both arguments. But if I went for the 37, which version? They sell 37/0 and 37/4

Any thoughts

B

On 03/12/2009 at 21:04, Cliff Williams said:

Best would be a Howes sound file for a Class 40 with a single tone horn.

EDIT: Just been chatting to Bryan and the best that is possible is a healthy approximation using the Class 40 sound file, so it would be a special request from Howes if you ring up, available on the Loksound XL, V3.5 and micro decoder. The whistle Bryan says is far less prominent and has been taken from a bit of sound of them going up Shap.

LMS 10000 had the English Electric 16SVT Mark 1 engine, Class 40 used the English Electric 16SVT MkII engine, so you can see why it would be as good as we can get at this stage

Bryan did a sound chip for my 10000 when it first came out.

Absolutely delighted with it and always received compliments when running on 'Earl's Court'

Highly recommended 

On 10/01/2022 at 17:48, Butler said:

I know this post is old but I wondered if anyone still reading it? I’m just trying to decide whether to fit the 37 or 40 decoder to my new LMS 10000? . Read both arguments. But if I went for the 37, which version? They sell 37/0 and 37/4

Any thoughts

B

If your gonna use a 37 then use the 37/0  version.  The 37/4 will have the sound of the starter motor which woul be wrong.

• RMweb Gold
On 12/01/2022 at 22:04, charliepetty said:

LMS 10000 had no Whistle from the roof fans, its probably more like a Class 37 than a Class 40, but very heavy and underpowered, it had the feel of a Class 50 under power on Honiton Bank.

i fitted a class 50 decoder to my 10000 and deleted the high horn sound from the function list. 

• Informative/Useful 2

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 14/01/2022 at 08:50, RedgateModels said:

i fitted a class 50 decoder to my 10000 and deleted the high horn sound from the function list. 

Having read a number of threads on sound for 10000 & 10001, it would seem that there are quite differing opinions. The 50 has the same diesel engine EE16CSVT, but has greater power than the twins at 2,700 bhp including turbochargers. Having heard the Digitrains class 50 sound it seems great, and does not have the 'whistle' of the class 40 (which I read was not present?)

So 50 might be the route. I guess, that I cannot read a Zimo decoder on a Lokprogrammer, so not so easy to remove the high horn with mapping. Easy to remove from function list, but is there a CV change to do the same?

Found this sound recording:

Seems very close to the Class 50, rather than the 10000 in this Digitrains video.

Edited by zr2498
Extra info found
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1