Red River, Alberta

Clay Country

Earlier this year I was fortunate enough to visit Canadian Pacific's Alyth Yard in Calgary. Having never really experienced North American railways first-hand, I was impressed by the both the variety and sheer volume traffic handled at this bustling yard, and the mix of locomotive types with brand new GE AC units rubbing shoulders with ancient GP9us. The stories of yard employees who kept trans-continental freights on the move 24 hours a day, seven days a week whatever the weather were truly inspiring.

I came home wondering whether I should put my long-planned British N gauge layout on hold a bit longer and have a dabble in Canadian HO. Clearly the monster mainline potash and grain trains would not be a practical proposition given the limited space and budget available for what was effectively a "side project". I also wanted to build something that had switching potential and could be completed in a reasonable timescale.

A bit of research on the internet provided plenty of inspiration, particularly the work of Lance Mindheim and various contributors to this forum. Meanwhile prototype research threw up dozens of pictures of remote branches where local freights ambled across endless fields to serve towering grain elevators.

The aim of Red River therefore is to capture a little bit of rural Canada and its railway backwaters. The scenic section of the layout is 6'x2', which just about long enough to squeeze in a loop (or siding) accomodating three grain hoppers and a headshunt long enough for a GP38. The elevator will act as a scenic break, concealing the mousehole into the fiddleyard (which comes later). The spur at the back will serve a warehouse with two car spots, which will give me the excuse to run something other than grain hoppers. Hopefully the pictures give some idea of the track plan.

post-694-0-97392000-1322417185.jpg

post-694-0-61406400-1322417235.jpg

post-694-0-14228400-1322417287.jpg

This was my first attempt at building a baseboard, so I tried to keep it simple with a softwood frame topped with 9mm ply. Tracklaying is almost complete and I've started on the electrics (which I'm also pretty clueless about, watch this space!).

The second phase of the project will involve building the fiddle yard, which will extend the main and the grain elevator spur off-stage and will be long enough to accomodate a locomotive and three 60ft cars. In the longer term, if I can face more woodwork, there will be a further fiddle yard extension beyond the current headshunt, which would hopefully give a bit more operating interest.

Keith. Looks good. I dont want to be picky but I cant quite see how it will operate. The headshunt looks too short for a GP38 and anything more than a single covered hopper? If I am right it might work better if the hidden sidings were to off what is currently the headshunt end of the board.

Hi Phil, the headshunt is long enough for a loco to shunt one wagon into the front siding, and two into the elevator siding, which is a bit limited. As you say, extending the track off stage at this end will open things up operationally, and I plan to do this after building the main fiddle yard.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

After a bit of a seasonal lull, January has brought the opportunity to get back in the garage and make a little headway. All of the trackwork is now fixed down with point motors fitted and wiring underway. I've started putting together the main fiddle yard board at the grain elevator end of the layout, which will have at least three roads (two from the main line and one from the elevator spur). Hopefully I'll be able to complete this at the weekend.

There has also been a new addition to the fleet, in the shape of an Altlas C424 (probably not geographically correct, but I've wanted one for ages).post-694-0-63332200-1327351214_thumb.jpg

The next job will probably be the backscene, and I need to order a static grass applicator, although I'm not sure which one to go for.

• 9 months later...

After an extended break forced by a combination of building work and job commitements, I finally had chance to resume work on the layout last month. The focus has been mainly on ballasting and scenics. This included my first attempt at using a static grass applicator (Green Scene Flockit) and I'm pleased with the results, although the fibres could do with building up in places, perhaps with a bit more variation in colour.

I have also assembled the SceniKing sectional backscene, which was fine when I put it up but looks terrible in the pictures. I'm not sure if the drastic change of climate between the house and the garage is responsible for the bubbling and peeling, but this needs to be remedied. I also wonder if the backscene needs to be a bit taller, although this might make things a bit trickier to reach when operating the layout from the back.

post-694-0-07434900-1353327048_thumb.jpg

post-694-0-63704800-1353327086_thumb.jpg

post-694-0-26346200-1353327176_thumb.jpg

post-694-0-48962100-1353327101_thumb.jpg

Regarding the backscene, you don't say what you used as an adhesive. I just did some. My first attempt was to use spray adhesive and I ended up with bubbles and a generally poor result. (I probably should have sprayed both surfaces but did only one which might explain my result) For my next go, I first sprayed the white MDF with grey primer, to provide a key, since the white finish seemed too smooth. I then used Pritt glue sticks to stick the paper down - excellent! Get a roller from an art shop - this will ensure the glue is well spread and avoid bubbles.

I have used Pritt on previous backscenes and the paper is still well stuck even after about 10 years.

John

Keith

I used Scenicking backscenes on my 'Galatia KS' layout. After priming the MDF backscenes I painted then with cheapy blue emulsion and then glued them on with 3M craft adhesive spray applied to the wood only. In the space of 2 years no problems so far.

In terms of backscene height I set mine to match to top of the grain elevator complex. Where the backscene prints didn't reach I cut the sky portion off and just used the 'vegitation' bit. Below shot off from the gallery hopefully gives a rough idea

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/gallery/image/34918-45t-and-trackmobile/

Dan

Thanks Tim and Dan, I think removing the land from the backscene (if I can peel it off) and painting the sky would look a lot better, and would also solve the bubbling issue. The more I look at it the more I'm convinced it needs the height, my ugly garage walls seem to spoil the effect - big sky country shouldn't be framed by concrete blocks!

Hi Keith

I ended up painting my backscene with very washed out emulsions , have also been building a British outline layout for a friend and used a pasted backscene (steelworks) .and that bubbled even though i was very carefull in putting it on,having said that I do like the images i can see on yours'

• 4 weeks later...

This weekend I've been busy with backdrop Mk II, and I've adopted Dan's Galatia KS option. I carefully salvaged the land from the original Scenicking backscene, which was carefully removed and pasted onto a painted blue sheet of hardboard.

There has also been an addition to the fleet, an imposter in the shape of an Atlas CN GP40 in Operation Lifesaver livery. All the photos I've seen of this ex-Grand Trunk loco were taken either in Ontario or in the US, so it's probably not strictly accurate for this part of Canada, but it was a bit of bargain and it'll send the right message out to motorists while I get the crossing lights sorted.

post-694-0-69680300-1355737471_thumb.jpg

post-694-0-09989100-1355737534.jpg

post-694-0-55906000-1355738020_thumb.jpg

post-694-0-01761200-1355738044_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...

Hi Andrew, glad you like the layout! More is on the way. With most of the electrics, the main fiddle yard board and the scenic work (very nearly) done, I've had a few proper operating sessions recently to test everything and get it all working reliably. This has highlighted the fact that operation could be made a whole lot more interesting (and realistic) by adding an off-stage area at the level crossing end and making it a through run. Even a simple two-foot extension would allow four or five grain cars to be propelled into the elevator siding instead of two and would eliminate some really awkward and unprototypical manoeuvres, so a bit more benchwork is required...

Hi Andrew, glad you like the layout! More is on the way. With most of the electrics, the main fiddle yard board and the scenic work (very nearly) done, I've had a few proper operating sessions recently to test everything and get it all working reliably. This has highlighted the fact that operation could be made a whole lot more interesting (and realistic) by adding an off-stage area at the level crossing end and making it a through run. Even a simple two-foot extension would allow four or five grain cars to be propelled into the elevator siding instead of two and would eliminate some really awkward and unprototypical manoeuvres, so a bit more benchwork is required...

Par for the course. Never enough space. Looks really good. You've captured the essence of Southern Alberta well. Just need some Agricore decals for the grain silo.

Archived