I just finished assembling a Bullfrog turnout control unit, made by Fast Tracks. http://www.handlaidtrack.com/

As you can see from the photograph this is a wire in cable system. The machine itself is assembled from lasercut plywood and goes together quite easily. A sprung loaded ball bearing provides positive locking of the machine at either end of the throw and a microswitch is included for polarity control of the frog. Provision is made to mount a second switch if necessary. Fast Tracks provides everything necessary to set up a cable operated turnout or signal control system and also makes a simple unit for either hanging the cable run or joining two lengths of cable together (the smaller unit on the right).

Documentation for the unit is exemplary and includes a step-by-step video on the web site. Fast Tracks service is very quick, my order was filled and arrived in the USA from Canada in a week using just the normal postal system. I have no idea what their exports to the UK would be like.

While it is perfectly possible to fabricate this kind of mechanism from scratch, the Bullfrog seems to me to be a well-designed timesaver.

Usual disclaimer re being just a satisfied customer.

post-277-0-05352800-1323028292_thumb.jpg

These have been available for some time now and like the Blue Point turnout controller, from New Rail Models, provide what looks like a very good ready-to-go way of installing manually operated points.

I see you bought the self assembly version, which obviously saves a bit of money over the ready assembled option ( $6 as opposed to $9 ).

As far as I'm aware, there isn't an importer of the Bullfrog in the UK yet, but the Blue point has been available here for quite a while now.

If anyone is interested, Bullfrog assembly is covered in a series of Fast Tracks videos, available on YouTube . Part 1 is

Archived