Bristol - model railways?

Tim Hale

Disagree.

I take it you've been? Because if you have, you'd know it's stocked floor to ceiling with all sorts of kits and bits and bobs related to model trains. Furthermore it's staffed by a chap who spent two hours with me trying to see why my Hornby tts and lenz weren't friends, knowing that:

- I hadn't bought the 31 from him

- I hadn't bought the tts from him

- I hadn't bought the lenz from him

So I think you're being hugely unfair labelling the shop in some pejorative way as simply a "box shifter"

I've been there numerous times, if you must know. Yes, the staff are very helpful, the shop is chock-full, but very much of it is Bachmann, Hornby and Dapol, and 'RTP' buildings and various ready-made scenery items. There's a great deal of lesser manufacturer's items that they do not carry and which they quite obviously don't have room for, and to be realistic would probably be slow moving. Much of the shelf space is taken up with multiples of the same item, which I expect is because most business is online and not aimed at shop visitors. Many items I want can usually only be found on sale at exhibitions, and I doubt somewhere like MRD would stock them. However, when I want RTR locos and rolling stock, MRD is my first port of call.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

A bit far out but has anyone tries Frome Model centre?

A shop I often use for paint and odds and ends and I find the staff very helpful, but find the railway stuff is at, or very close to, RRP. East Somerset Models along the Shepton road at West Cranmore is where I get my RTR stuff these days.

• 2 weeks later...

There is still Brunel Model Railways. This used to be Richards Railways at Yatton but has renamed and relocated to Clevedon Craft Centre, about 5 mins from J20 on M5.

I've not been there myself.

Brunel Model Railways

Don't bother going! I went there today and despite the website still stating that the shop has moved there and the sign outside the Clevedon Craft Centre still showing 'Brunel Model Railways' there is in fact diddly squat there!

I went in and spoke with the owner's wife/partner and she said that he only ever had a small display cabinet with a few items in it (points to a bathroom cabinet sized glass shelf unit) at the CCC site anyway. Also that the he now only deals in second-hand and not via eBay any more as it is 'too expensive'.

A great disappointment really. Particularly when the original Richards Railways shop was such a great treasure-trove of a place. When the new owner took over things were looking up but it is as if he has gradually run the original shop and business down to nothing. A great shame in my view and an opportunity missed. I'm just glad I didn't make a special trip out to the craft centre! The website and the signage need to be updated.

At last years Burnham on sea show Richard was saying it was his last "do" haveing run down the left over stock that was not bought by the new Richard who took over his shop , so I believe he has now put his feet up, and maybe getting to do some Modeling

OK so MRD are near Bristol but you can't compair this box shifter with the lost likes of Max Williams, Bailies Dailies/ kemp models, Bristol is now a Desert of any kind of model shop not trust trains, not that it's any better living near taunton

Yes, he did carry on for a couple of years after leaving the shop on Yatton High Street. I think the Weston Super Mare model rail show in January this year was his last show in the area although there may have been one more toy fair after that before he finally closed his accounts and retired properly.

I used to frequent MRD in Portishead but stopped doing so when the owner told me that I would no longer be able to return faulty models - the insinuation being that the faults were somehow my fault and not due to poor quality control or packaging on the part of the manufacturers!

All my purchases are from further afield mail-order/online now as there is nowhere decent within the price of postage as a fuel cost, from my home.

• RMweb Gold

Wow, sad to hear of the demise of modelmania and Richards Railways - the shop in Yatton used to be the scene of a birthday treat to go and buy a loco or a few wagons, and the tools I bought from modelmania a few years ago kick-started my modelling again, many of them I still use now!

• 4 weeks later...

At last years Burnham on sea show Richard was saying it was his last "do" haveing run down the left over stock that was not bought by the new Richard who took over his shop , so I believe he has now put his feet up, and maybe getting to do some Modeling

OK so MRD are near Bristol but you can't compair this box shifter with the lost likes of Max Williams, Bailies Dailies/ kemp models, Bristol is now a Desert of any kind of model shop not trust trains, not that it's any better living near taunton

DCCAutomation in Hambridge?

DCCAutomation in Hambridge?

Yes, reference was made to Taunton, but as this thread is about Bristol....I had to look up Hambridge - it's not exactly Bristol, or really anywhere near it, is it? :no:  It's over 30 miles away, as the crow flies...and they are not exactly a model railway shop as such.

Don't bother going! I went there today and despite the website still stating that the shop has moved there and the sign outside the Clevedon Craft Centre still showing 'Brunel Model Railways' there is in fact diddly squat there!

I went in and spoke with the owner's wife/partner and she said that he only ever had a small display cabinet with a few items in it (points to a bathroom cabinet sized glass shelf unit) at the CCC site anyway. Also that the he now only deals in second-hand and not via eBay any more as it is 'too expensive'.

A great disappointment really. Particularly when the original Richards Railways shop was such a great treasure-trove of a place. When the new owner took over things were looking up but it is as if he has gradually run the original shop and business down to nothing. A great shame in my view and an opportunity missed. I'm just glad I didn't make a special trip out to the craft centre! The website and the signage need to be updated.

Apparently he has now ceased trading completely so I have been told.

Apparently he has now ceased trading completely so I have been told.

Now why do I find that a surprise ?

When I first went there he shared half the shop/room which his wife

On the next visit it had reduced to two cabinets and a scattering on top of his wife's woollen stuff

On the last visit it was just the one upright cabinet of the size you could just do a Houdini escape trick from

But I did find something each time!

Well that just leaves Buffers and Exeter model shops left for me then both a hour away!

Excluding the shop in Bridgwater! Interesting assortment of pricy secondhand in there ! A bit like a smaller version of the shop in north brum who couldn't afford to put the lights on, but did so as you went around the room

Anyway back to Bristol......O no there is nothing to report now all gone

I wish I had the know how to start a shop in Bristol! There must be a huge gap in the market for a local shop doing it right now that Modelmania has gone!

We'll go and talk to Brian at modelmaina! He still owned the property and some stock, he just wanted to have a bit of enjoyment out life before he got to old but going by the way attendants at Bristol toy fairs have gone down over the years I think there is a small market in Bristol

I would be happy for it to reopen

We'll go and talk to Brian at modelmaina! He still owned the property and some stock, he just wanted to have a bit of enjoyment out life before he got to old but going by the way attendants at Bristol toy fairs have gone down over the years I think there is a small market in Bristol

I would be happy for it to reopen

It's just about finding the money and taking the plunge I guess!

I wish I had the know how to start a shop in Bristol! There must be a huge gap in the market for a local shop doing it right now that Modelmania has gone!

I am sure it is possible to make a small fortune out of a model shop in Bristol.... Just start with a large fortune.

Seriously, the retail market and high streets in particular are on their knees, business rates are extortionate and growing. In effect you are selling a known commodity (I.e the Bachmann class 37 you buy from MRD is the same as Hattons, rails etc) so you are competing mainly on price, add in Supply chain woes for both Hornby and Bachmann meaning less stuff to sell and it is not hard to see why the shops have shut. The days of 10 model shops in a major city are long gone, Bristol has MRD at least, who are easily accessible by car and to some extent by public transport. The development by Hattons to make their own exclusive product of a model with mass appeal (eg the class 66)is the way retailers need to go to survive, and mirrors what the likes of John Lewis and B&Q are doing as an example.

Archived