Lincoln Central Station

arff999

• 1 month later...

Hi I finally go rounnd to updating this thread after a chistmas and new year spent working.

We took the layout to a village hall for a weekend to be make sure it all fitted together and worked also the track was ok

Found a few small problems but these were resolved by Mark,Paul and myself

The main problems we found were that the mini panel programme for some reason switched more than one turnout at a time this was fixed after speaking to a few people by filling up the blank command lines with the same text all works ok now

we also managed to get the led indication correct on the double slipes for route indication

And the final problem with the track were it crossed a joint at a rare angle was fixed by making the modules 1200x1200 instead of 1200x600 thus removing the need to cut the track

Below are a few pictures of the week ends work

The first ones show the modules in the hall just unloaded from the van the unit on casters hold all 6 of the fiddle yard modules

post-4624-0-18498500-1326140877.jpg

next is the fiddle yard on the floor next to the trestles ready to be lifted in to possition

post-4624-0-42330600-1326141033.jpg

And up on its trestles fitted together

post-4624-0-84931700-1326141128.jpg

The next 2 show the whole layout up getting levelled

we used a bag off differerant sized window spacers from screwfix

post-4624-0-66335500-1326141222.jpg

post-4624-0-79710200-1326141256.jpg

More to follow

JOHN

• Like 5

General pics inc some locos

post-4624-0-65344700-1326149485.jpg

post-4624-0-99974100-1326149568.jpg

post-4624-0-47172000-1326149617.jpg

post-4624-0-73465000-1326149666.jpg

post-4624-0-08664800-1326149708.jpg

Thanks for looking lots left to do, will be having the layout on show at the Lincoln model railway club open weekend at the Museum of lincs life on the weekend of 21 -22 jan 2012 hope to see you there

JOHN

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

Just finished clearing everything up at home from the first outing of the station, even though its still a work in progress, 3 years approx left to finish off the project lots left to build.

The model worked great just a few problems witjh stock being to light and derailing but all in all great weekend.

Myself,Mark and my son Adam spent a busy 2 days opperating the model with the most stock we had ever had on the layout i think we managed about 18 locos in total.

All the electrics worked first time so we pleased with it all the hard work making the panel paid off with the point control

Great to see and meet a few RM Webers at the event,Both myself and Mark had a good chat to some off you Nice to meet you!! hope you had a good day

I have a few pics to post when i get them downloaded.

JOHN.

Good to meet you too.I spoke with one of you on Saturday afternoon with my Father.

It was good to see the layout in the flesh for the first time.It certainly brings into perspective just how much room you need to model even a medium sized station.Will continue to look forward to your updates,good luck with the rest of the project.

The rooms were quite busy when we were there, which must have been encouraging for the organisers,was it better attended than last year?

I think that was me you spoke to on Saturday :D From what we can gather there were nearly 1300 people attended on the Saturday compared to about 1400 total for the weekend last year so yes it did get quite busy. We did find out just how much concentration you need to keep a grip on things AND engage the public at the same time, as evidenced by the odd signalling error and incorrect route setting occasionally. Despite the mix of stock and era's no-one commented on this and in fact it seemed to go down well with the crowd as one minute we'd be shunting around the station with blue/grey DMUs then next sending through a non-stop train of 60's coal wagons to entertain the kids. What we did find was that some of the public inhabit a different dimension to normal people. At one point we both turned round from what we were doing to find that a woman had decided to use the baseboard as somewhere to seat her little girl :nono: When she was politely asked to remove the offending small person she got what can only be described as a 'mardy on'. The other two incidents of note was the woman who was about to let her child wander off with the signal box and the young boy who decided that the layout would look better with 'his' wagon on the track. This just highlights the need for us to get some kind of crowd control in place, preferably something involving wires and 20000 volts or machine gun nests! :hunter:

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi just a quick update.

Been working on a couple of the boards at home since the return from the show i have been putting down the stone sheeting for the platforms and fitting the walls to the area near platform 1

I have also fitted the steps and constructed the largest of the bridges this one does not actually get you to the station but goes right over all the tracks abd is used to get from the street to what is now a car park (it was once near to the coal office on platform 8)

i will post some pictures when i get the paint finished it looks a little odd as its blue

JOHN

Hi Jim

Fiddle yard worked well when we ran it at the open day

I dont think we will be running to many long sets as its a station think it will be more dmus and a few shunting moves

but i may be wrong mark may have a few other ideas we will have to see

JOHN

Thanks Steve

Glad you like the way it looks

if you look back on the thread you will see it looked rather differant when first done but i was not happy with the look so redid it happy with it now just hope the rest looks ok when done

JOHN

• 1 month later...

Hi

Just about finished putting on the walls to platform 1 and have now painted the blue foot bridge still needs to be weathered down and the path surface painted but im pleased with the outcome will post some pictures next week when i return home

Also been busy working on the control system i know have fully finished RR&Co program for my turn out control and route setting all tested took a while but works well i tried it on some touch screen pc monitors last week and have to say i looks promising going to use a laptop conected to the NCE system via a usb dongle to a serial plug, then i hope to have 2 touch screen monitors one at each end of the layout connected to the laptop via the vga output spliting the signal with 2 usb cables to a hub.

touch the screen move the turnout and hey presto it changes on the layout the mimic and all screens show what is happening.

post-4624-0-94948700-1334607814_thumb.png

Also been trying out Big Bear DCC to control the layout will let you know how i got on with it later

JOHN

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi

just a few more pics to show what we`ve been up too lately

some wall have been fixed and weathered also finished off the bridge and we now have a avid spotter camera in hand who appeared on the bridge over night might get rounf to wiring him up next week then he can take some pics

JOHN.

This first on shows the steps going up to the blue cross bridge

post-4624-0-53425100-1336754549.jpg

this ones off the walls around the platforms

post-4624-0-56477900-1336754565.jpg

general view of the walls steps and the bridge

post-4624-0-55265400-1336754595.jpg

a few of the brigde

post-4624-0-87116400-1336754612.jpg

post-4624-0-87040600-1336754627.jpg

and another of the platforms

post-4624-0-41528900-1336754656.jpg