Lincoln Central Station

arff999

Hi Terry

If you mean the covered one its made from about 3 metcalfe footbridge kits with ratio latace fixed to the outside

the blue bridge was scratch build with the sides from some knightwing n gauge gider bridges and wills plate bridge sides

the other two foot bridges are just ratio standard foot bridges alltered to suite the gaps

hope this helps

JOHN

Hi All

Cattle dock loading ramp now fitted including fences around it, also cattle dock remaining gates fitted and remaining platform surface just needs paint and weathering.

Rear fence along backscene also fitted and painted with some greenery added trees and bushes to follow trees to hide steps from blue bridge, lighting also added to the cattle/loading area , street lighting fitted still needs to be connected up and dcc decoders fitted.

Going to attempt to reconnect up all the led (route indicator) cables between the mimic and the plug panel which will go in the base when complete, i had to make up some sort of plug socket arrangment to allow the main mimic panel front to be able to be removed, i ended up using servo plugs which are 3 pole, doing it this way meens if we get any working the wrong way round as in red led lit when it sould be green all we have to do is turn the plug round this saved having to unsolder then resolder the wires,

i will post some pictures later in week when i down load them

regards 

JOHN 

Hi Cutler

Thanks for the comments the building is a plaster cast modular type made up to try to match the origional it still needs a couple of smaller offices on the front to be right i have seen some in the range but will need a bit of cut and shunt to make them fit in

As for the foot bridge i take it you meen the blue on that took a while to get right i had a couple of attempts untill i settled on this one

post-4624-0-58724100-1359125492.jpg

post-4624-0-78141900-1359125522.jpg

Glad you like again thanks

JOHN

• Like 6

Hello John,

well I actually meant the altered Metcalfe bridge,but now you mention it the one above is an equally nice model.The layout truly reminds me of Lincoln Central and that is I am sure your aim/intention.I would feel very pleased with myself if I were you mate.

Kindest Regards,Cutler.

Hi Cutler

Sorry i missunderstood as to what bridge you were talking about .

The bridge was made from 3 metcalfe bridge kits and then put together in the configuration as you see it, take from the plans/drawings i have of the origional one,

I also used 3 ratio brigde kits to get the latice siding and the pillars for the steps, the roop was made from wills sheet materials to represent a black ridged tar finish

Regards

JOHN

• 4 weeks later...

John / Mark

Good to meet you both at Scampton today, thanks for the invite, it was great to see Lincoln Central up & running.

It's quite inspirational seeing it, makes me want to get down the shed & move things on a good bit faster than I am doing. (Wont rush to much though)

Hope to see you again soon, good luck with clearing it all away & getting it back home

• RMweb Gold

Likewise from me.  It was good to meet you both and see the layout in the flesh.  It is very obviously still work in progress as we discussed but as a Lincoln lad and it being where I did my train spotting it gives a real flavour of the place.  It is easy to see how much work you have both put in but boy is there still a bit to do?  As you said John it is a long term project and shouldn't be rushed if it is to look right.

I have little doubt when it is exhibited it will be the subject of much discussion and bring back fond memories for many like me.  Great work and I look forward to seeing it again soon.

To others who read this apologies as I did not take any pictures but did see a camera on a tripod so assume John will post some when he can.

Regards Chris

HI Billy

Thanks to you and your good lady for the comments on the layout it was nice to meet you both , as we spoke about still not finished yet but well on the way, don`t go rushing in to yours and mess it up take your time its far better in the end,

Glad it was worth your visit and i hope you enjoyed getting away to have a look,

Finally go home about 6.30 ish after finishing off some transportation ends for the boards, then the cleaning off the hall,

just need to move it all in the van on monday morning,

Regards John  

I've not previously posted on this thread but being a recent Lincolnshire immigrant (only turned up in 1974) I am familier with Lincoln and I've been following progress from the start, I am looking forward to seeing this layout on exhibition in the future, clearly a dedicated and skilled team who are making no compromises. Thank you for sharing your work.

Dave Shakespeare (Ancaster)

• Like 1

HI Dave

I also have been following yours but have im sorry to say have not posted yet and also the posts from Gilbert and Andy glad to hear you feeling a little better and up to a bit off modelling

Nice to hear you follow the thread and you like what you see ( not on a par with your awsome models IMHO) cant wait to see what you conjour up next.

We had the layout up over the weekend to do a few things that needed attention and to get some much needed running practice also to test out the last switch motors we fitted all worked well apart form a couple of small electrical issues that got fixed

It turned out to be a bit of a milestone really as it was the first time all the boards and back scene wood uprights were in place.

As chris says in the aboe post i did take a lot of pictures which i will post as soon as i get to sort them and sift out the rubbish ones

Regards

JOHN

Chris

thanks for the comments and also the chat we had on sunday as you say a lot has been done but also a awfull lot to do yet.

As you say i did have a camera there and took a lot of pictures will see how they turn out and post a few.

Regards

JOHN

Busy old four days from Fri to Mon setting up/building/tweaking/swearing/injuring/finally running/then dismantling :blink: We achieved more than we thought we would. It was nice to meet up with Billy and Chris as it's always good to get fresh perspective on what we're doing. so thanks again guys (and your good ladies) for paying a visit. Running wise it performed nearly faultlessly apart from one or two very minor electrical niggles here and there. It did prove one thing in that the layout prefers diesels to steam as we only had about 2 diesel derailments compared to goodness knows how many when a train was steam powered :declare:

Nest outing will be the Lincoln MRS exhibition at the end of June so fingers crossed nothing will be sabotaged by the gremlins in the lock-up :devil:

Hopefully John will pull his finger out and get those pictures posted :punish:

Cheers,

Ok
Got round to sorting the pictures fom the weekend I hope they look ok as i`m no photographer

I`m going to start with some of the bay platform office building.

This stunning little model was made by Howard Leader who some may know, He has had various articles done on his model making in the past Howard is aslo working on the main station building and the iasland platform building.

I would just like to say a personal thanks to Howard who i know is a busy gent for his input and his willingness to get involved in the construction of these buildings

Once again thanks Howard

post-4624-0-96392000-1362236221.jpg

post-4624-0-64469000-1362236237.jpg

post-4624-0-79511800-1362236299.jpg

post-4624-0-97728600-1362236330.jpg

• Like 7

WOW you have created a masterpeice ,the railway side is terrific and the other side of the fence is also fantastic .I hope that when you start exhibiting you bring it down south sometime ,please ,I hope Mr Cheeseplant is reading this thread.

Hi Imsforever

This is my first attempt at a large size layout so its great to hear so many people think its that good, as like many other modelers they always think its not good enough t show to the public but one day we hope to do this either in the state it is now or when its finished (not sure when that mabe). But we will have to see.

Btw Ive not heard of Mr Cheesplant

JOHN

Mr Cheeseplant ,he of Railex fame.Could you tell me what the platforms are used for were the end loading bay is situated as they look to very well surfaced? I would certainly travel to see this layout at a show so keep working on.

Hi
The platforms are numbered from the road side (front of layout) tothe rear (back scene),

they start with Platform One used for parcels and newspapers,

Next comes the small stubby one which is a carrage loading dock,

Platform Two is next to the rear of the small building not sure what this one was used for,

Platform Three and Four ar the bay platforms for passenger use,

Platform Five is the main one next to the station building Passenger use,

Platform Six again the other main platform on the island passenger use,

Seven and Eight are the far side of the island again Passenger use,

There are also two loading docks and a cattle dock at the east end of the layout

they are covered with Ratio york stone paving sheets glued down and weathered if you look at the building pics you can see some fresh unpainted paving that had to be repalaced wen the building was fitted, we had to make it removable as its across a board joint.  

I hope thats the information you were after, anything else please just ask, ill try to answer for you.

JOHN.