2011 Diorama Challenge Results

Andy Y

Judging by the number of hits on the build threads, and the quality of the other entries, I didn’t expect to win this one. Triumphing when the judging is being done by your peers is the ultimate accolade, especially when you appreciate the high level of modelling displayed on RMWeb. I did put an awful lot of time into the challenge and was lucky enough to have several weeks over the summer when I was able to work full time on the project.

Thank you to everyone who took the time to vote and all the other entrants. I found many of the entries fascinating. It’s amazing how diverse they are. I also appreciate all the posts on my build thread offering advice and information regarding scrapyards.

Thanks, of course, are due to Andy, who as usual has put a great deal of time into running the contest and has made things run like clockwork. If you haven’t had a go at the challenge then I can recommend it. It’s a great way of reinvigorating your modelling! Why not have a go in 2012?

• RMweb Gold

I can't wait to see how Stu trumps his previous efforts, particularly in terms of novelty value. I have visions of him lurking in unusual and/or seedy locations, working out what will fit into a certain small space... :D

• RMweb Gold

I can't wait to see how Stu trumps his previous efforts, particularly in terms of novelty value. I have visions of him lurking in unusual and/or seedy locations, working out what will fit into a certain small space... :D

Is there an 'I'm not sure I like this' button I can use ??? (Though I have recently been lurking around an old Cornish Engine house...)

The 2012 challenge will probably be some sort of rolling stock or loco, which will rule me out completely !

Hello and Happy New Year to all RM Web members.

Thanks for your votes on my Magic Black Box.

An exhibition local to me in the Manchester area has asked if it could exhibit at their show in May. With that, the 08 will have to wait for its return to one colour. No rush though as Apethorn junction isn't out until October when it can be back in service.

Shame I missed out on the holiday to the Maldives but Woodmore's scrapyard was a worthy winner - super photo's.

I like the idea of 'from a carriage window', that could be a good challenge for 2012....... "View from a window"??????

Thanks again everyone

Keith

• 2 weeks later...

Just got the voting result table from Andy Y, (as offered to all entrants on PM request).

Very surprised and gratified by my overall standing, since this was my first "proper" modelling for almost 50 years, and certainly my first attempt at scratch build of a representation of a real prototype.

My thanks to those who commented during the build, they kept me going! Also thanks to all who took the time to vote on the 35 entries, in itself, no easy task.

Thanks are also due to Andy Y for issuing an unusual challenge,(obviously popular, from the number of entries, and the viewing counts) and for compiling the results.

I learned some valuable skills for a future project, and also learned the value of presentation in such challenges!

Archived