Upbech St Mary

mullie

During 2006 I began a project on a shelf layout in our garage involving the construction of copperclad and SMP track using DCC control that was taking some time to come together. Having seen articles on Carl Arendt’s micro layout web site and articles in the modelling press relating to box file layouts I thought I would have a go but I set myself the limit of recycling as much as I could from equipment, buildings and scenic items I had acquired over the years. My only purchase was three yards of Peco code 75 track, the layout uses one small Y point an a left hand point. Even the box files themselves were largely those no longer needed at work for various reasons.

Initially the layout used just two box files and recreated a well known micro layout plan called ‘Carl’s Exports’ and in its initial stages was featured on Carl’ website in January 2008. The original layout took just a month to build from start to finish despite a hectic domestic and work schedule. It provided an interesting diversion from my main layout that was bogged down in track construction. The layout was inspired by fenland light railways, particularly the Wissington light railway and also by the Corringham Light Railway in Essex. Hence the layout is loosely set in the area south of Kings Lynn in the heart of the Fens but essentially the layout has become a testing ground for different modelling methods so rivet counters please look away now!

A revised version of the layout was featured in the August 2011 Railway Modeller. Photos of the original layout can be seen in the gallery below:

Album: Layout challenge 2011

A decision to enter the 2011 layout challenge spurred me on to revisit the layout and revise the scenic work for a third time, again trying new techniques. Links to my layout challenge entries are as follows

Album: Upbeach St Mary 2 Finished photos

Album: Upbeach St Mary finished photos

Enclosed are the most recent photos of the layout as recently revised:

The 08 shunter seen in the photos is an older Bachmann model picked up cheap on Ebay. It has been fitted with new pickups and the damaged cab handrails replaced, just waiting to be renumbered and weathered. Eventually it will be DCC fitted but I am currently running the layout with a Guagemaster combi, nice and simple!

post-12773-0-84524200-1325515317_thumb.jpg

post-12773-0-20785000-1325515396_thumb.jpg

An old Ian Kirk van body grounded and weathered.

post-12773-0-15229300-1325515443_thumb.jpg

Coopercraft truck awaiting departure from the yard.

post-12773-0-80513300-1325515480_thumb.jpg

The two remaining shots show the yard area

post-12773-0-72793100-1325515534_thumb.jpg

post-12773-0-13066600-1325515592_thumb.jpg

brilliant layout what is the size of the basebored?

It is the length of four standard box files, three are scenic and one is a cassette fiddle yard. I use the box files so the lids still close as this keeps the dust off and as the layout is based in our spare bedroom it can be easily stored when we have visitors. The down side is that the back scene needs to be very low but I can live with the compromise if it means I can have a layout in the warm. My main layout is along one side of our garage meaning it is cold at this time of year and inaccessible when the car is in the garage. We live by the coast so keeping the car out of the salty atmosphere is worth doing.

Thanks for the kind comment

Some photos of the box file layout including the 2011 challenge modules. not great due to lighting difficulties, I'll take some better ones when I have time. Photos include the passenger service for the first time.

A fiddle yard will be added off the curved track when I have time so the DMU can run through the scene rather than simply go back and forth.

post-12773-0-15297900-1325704254_thumb.jpg

An overall view of all six box files, I don't have room to set it up like this norrmally, this is my study and I was supposed to be working instead of taking photographs!

post-12773-0-74753300-1325704311_thumb.jpg

Vans on the siding, mainline is on the right, siding on the left

post-12773-0-96023900-1325704336_thumb.jpg

The original inspiration for the layout was 'Carl's Exports' by the late Carl Arendt where the run round is actually out of view. One box file is usually a small cassette fiddle yard where any running round can take place. At the moment I'm working on the fiddle yard so have attached the challenge module and I'm using the main line as a 'scenic' fiddle yard. Alternatively the layout can be worked by a pair of 08s when the layout is worked under DCC (it is wired for conventional DC or DCC simply depending on what's plugged in) meaning I can get round the lack of run round. This makes the shunting puzzle element even more interesting as it is easy to get blocked in.

The layout lives in our spare room next to the study where I spend a lot of time working so it is nice to nip in there shunt for 20 minutes as a bit of light relief and normally there it is four box files long. My main layout Pott Row is still in the relatively early stages and in fact is out of use at the moment while I rebuild two three way points, and is in the garage, not the greatest place in winter. Oh and the car gets in the way at night as well!

Thanks for your interest.

what is the track plan and how much do the files cost ?

Box files can usually be purchased for around £2 or so, some of the ones I've used were unused from my work place. To keep the layout sturdy I do put a ply base for laying track on and over the summer of 2011 I did put a sub frame on the bottom so I could use alignment dowels and luggage catches. I had been using flat back hinges for a long but I wanted something more reliable and the 'station road baseboards' dowels and luggage catches worked well on my Pott Row layout and were a good price. This might be cheating but it has improved things as I'm not a great carpenter! I would quite like to try exhibiting, possibly with this layout but I'm not a member of my local club due to work commitments so I need to be sure things work if I do end up taking it out. The layout uses copper tape underneath for wiring so the sub frame also protects the electrics, points are hand operated but I always use polarity switching for electrofrog points so I've inserted some switches in the front and just have to remember to flick them as when working on DCC it will cause a short and cut everything out. The layout can also be operated on DC.

Track plan is dead simple and based on a Carl Arendt plan 'Carl's exports.' Uses just two points and a small cassette fiddle yard. With the Upbech two module inserted an extra point and siding comes into play. Usually the layout plan is as below:

Upbech plan.pdf

At home in it's normal setting this is as much as I can use, it lives on a book case in our spare room so has to be moved when we have guests.

Photo showing the layout in Wisbech and Upwell mode. The J70 is an ancient K's kit bought over thirty years ago running on a Tenshodo spud and with a basic Lenz decoder with 'shunt' control that gives much improved running. This loco isn't really up to modern standards and I think this year I may well invest in at least one Silver Fox version. Two would be good as I do have a spare spud.

post-12773-0-48869900-1326622687_thumb.jpg

Different 08, this time the Hornby version with yellow ends suggesting a later period. Eventually I will get round to renumbering this loco, I've only been planning to do it for about four years!

post-12773-0-19824200-1326622714_thumb.jpg

Started rebuilding the fiddle yard tonight. Plan is to have a small cassette yard along the back and perhaps another scenic feature along the front, perhaps reinstating the small cottage featured in the original layout. As you can see I'm using copperclad sleepers and code 75 track so the alignment can be adjusted, I just find it easier. The hardboard is the base for the aluminum angle used for the cassettes.

post-12773-0-43249800-1327098507_thumb.jpg

post-12773-0-13089100-1327098564_thumb.jpg

The following photos, although not great, show the 'white heat' of intensive layout work in the garage. On the right I've just relaid an SMP three way point on my Pott Row layout perched on my workmate and the other shows two modules of the Upbech layout on the step into the house so I can sort out the fiddle yard alignment and get the sleepers laid ready for track work and electrics and yes it was all packed away and yes the car did go in the garage as it does every night!

post-12773-0-58935400-1327098757_thumb.jpg

post-12773-0-91050700-1327098797_thumb.jpg

The layout is temporarily packed away because we have visitors for the next few weekends but I've still been able to get things done. I couldn't get the aluminum angle to work properly, I think this maybe because their was some flexibility in the box file and it made it more difficult to get a really accurate alignment plus my sawing skills aren't fantastic! I therefore went back to the kind of fiddle yard I've used very successfully on Pott Row using 9mm ply and code 75 track on copperclad sleepers. Tracks are aligned using bolts made of K&S brass tube and rod. The photos show the fiddle yard just after I had finished soldering and had taken it outside to clean off all the soldering residues. The cassettes are 12 inches long so a short freight with a small shunter or a single car DMU is practical. If I have the space I also have some two foot cassettes.

post-12773-0-81822200-1327756859_thumb.jpg

post-12773-0-42285700-1327756924_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Shot some videos today, just to show that the layout really does work, including the auto uncoupling. It is difficult to photograph the layout as it is in a dark corner but it gives you an idea. loco is a Bachmann 08 powered by a Gaugemaster Combi. I'll keep experimenting, I'm using a small hand held digital camera and trying to work the layout and shoot at the same time!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8ZNz22gv1I&feature=context&context=G22e811eAUAAAAAAAAAA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBNTcAZ6c8E&feature=context&context=G22e811eAUAAAAAAAAAA

Thank you for the kind comment, the original layout was built in just a month as a diversion from a more major project but this layout has kept me occupied for a number of years now and I always find new things to do (including the RM layout challenge) and the small size means things are achievable, important when trying to balance hobby with work and family.

The layout is really meant to be set in East Anglia but I really couldn't resist the Hornby class121 dmu so here we see one running into Upbech as it is ideal for such a small layout. Allegedly the layout is set in Cambridgeshire but as the two most substantial buildings are weather boarded timber it is probably more suggestive of Essex. Oh well, it's my layout.......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RJVu_R1azg

Archived