Free Signal Box from Railway Modeller January- Lets see them.

Hello all, having got the magazine this xmas I was left with a 00 signal box, which my son was keen to build, which had no place to live on any layouts at the moment. To keep myself out of trouble over the holiday we built this. The detail parts came from dad and grandads' bits boxes, and include a variety of bits from the early 60's to late 70's. I had a go at bodging some point rodding (round, it is Southern area) as it would have been very odd without, I drew the line at the signal wires however!

If you have found a use for your free model, post the results here!

post-9516-0-50962000-1326037642.jpg

General view, still some detail work to do.

post-9516-0-56416800-1326037658.jpg

post-9516-0-25318900-1326037669.jpg

All the point rodding is visible here, have not finished the stools and angle cranks yet.

I got gifted this kit by an N gauge reader of the magazine. It's an excellent little model, and I've built mine - it will be going into 'Bolton Trinity Road' to represent Orlando street ground frame.

Is there any likelihood that this kit may appear at some point in Metcalfe's main range?

Wills do a small 4 lever frame in a hut which sits in OK

I am at present doing a fire place and furniture as the windows are a little large not to

The roof I printed off some slates from another source and stuck them in rows so they are un-even in places and with the gaps looks a little less pristine I've got drainpipes from an old OO gauge kit of bits to put on too.

So at present this is it

post-5126-0-02082700-1326399178_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

Love what everyone is doing with their RM freebie signal box.

Our friends' little boy is 'railway mad' and I noticed, on his 6x4 layout, that he didnt have any - or a - signal box.

So when this free kit came along, I thought that I would build and detail it (in an appropriate manner) for him - photos to follow - with, akin to RM's, a modified roof and other details. As I was enjoying the build so much (and forgot to take photos of the progress), the interior was painted black - stage-craft - so as to hide the lack of detail within and at the front (near to the glass) I added a 'lever-frame' (painted red, white, blue and yellow accordingly) made up from the fine teeth of a comb.......

More to follow.....

It was nice, as a modeller of 7mm, to get back to my roots and have some fun making a cardboard kit.

ATB

CME

• RMweb Gold

Nicely built model. Do any of the signal box experts know what the prototype of this kit is? I'm also curious how maintenance staff would get into the locking room on this type of box. There obviously is a locking room because it has a window. Trapdoor in the operating floor?

• RMweb Gold

Nicely built model. Do any of the signal box experts know what the prototype of this kit is? I'm also curious how maintenance staff would get into the locking room on this type of box. There obviously is a locking room because it has a window. Trapdoor in the operating floor?

The 'box has an air of NER about it although not entirely following any of their designs - I think (but I'm not an NER expert). And not unknown for a locking room to be accessed via trapdoor in the 'box floor but I definitely do not recommend it -

post-6859-0-40215100-1328202264_thumb.jpg

Did you use the Scalescenes tiles? I used the 2mm ones straight off the printer and they looked really good. I did think about the 4mm ones for this. Hadn't considered the ground frame hut, good idea.

You got it I use both Scalescenes and Railwayscenics for printed out in bulk I will have to add another photo as I have put a little detail inside including the chimney breast for the fire

Good compromise, I left the roof un fixed until I decide what to do inside. I suspect it will get a full interior eventually.

I left the roof of my signal box loose too,so i can add interior later.What i did was glue a couple of length of card to the roof to sit inside the walls,roofs a tight fit so wont fall off.When lit up no gaps show.

Its not the Rm kit, although have got the unbuilt kit for future use.Mine was built from a Smart Models kit(also free) with a hib roof but same idea should work.

Tel

Hi,

As promised here are some close-up, 'warts and all' photos of the signal box which I have just completed.

The following details were added;-

* Linka downpipes (not fully detailed and just bonded in place with UHU);

* Gutters from Plastistruct (I have a bundle of Linka gutters 'put aside in a safe place for a rainy day' - only I couldnt find them :scratchhead: :mosking: );

* Gutters, downpipes and bargeboards were all then painted with Humbrol Satin Green (131);

* The chimney pot is an old 'Biro' refil tube cut down to size;

* The Lever-Frame is made from the fine teeth of a cheap plastic comb and painted accordingly;

* The remainder of the interior was blacked out as no further detail was to be added;

* The roof was replaced with Peco roof sections (from LK79). When I was younger and modelling buildings using card-kits/kit bashing etc. I always used to detail, weather and/or modify the roofs, as these items always seemed like the weakest link of any card building kit (to my mind), especially when the viewing height of layouts back then tended to be lower than they are now - with the roofs of buildings being a prominent feature. All edges were pared down so as to provide a more scale apperance;

* The chimney surround was covered, at the base, with tin foil (which is malleable and follows the outline of the 'tiles' just like lead) and then over-painted with Games Workshop 'Bolt Gun Metal' so as to represent lead flashing;

* The corner joins of the kit were disguised by use of either the downpipes or by colouring/weathering with water-colour pencils (see cruel close up photo);

* A name plate was added from the Cooper Craft nameplate kit (2008) and painted in the WR style.

I decided to weather the roof and some of the detail around the chimney and had to stop myself going any further with the weathering (I usually weather everything and find that part of any build enjoyable - weathering is a requirement for all of our own models) as I thought that the building may be somewhat incongruent when set alongside other such kits on the young lad's layout if such was too heavily weathered :) .

This was an enjoyable side project and it was nice to work, once again, in 4mm/1ft scale and indeed in card again too, I dont think that I will be asked to join the Pendon modelling team with this little model and the photos are cruel digital close-ups highlighting some of the short falls of die-cut card modelling (and my own work), but nevertheless the signal box, despite it being, to my mind/eyes, an amalgam of ER, SR (woodwork colouring) and WR et al. is, when viewed with the good old MK1 eyeball, a pleasing little model. It will be just right as a layout model.

Whilst making this simple kit, I was reminded how enjoyable card modelling is and wondered if we could make use of similar methods of work on the scenic section of our layout, Down Ampney (we already have some Scalescenes products to experiment with)- Ken Payne's wonderful card and wood buildings sprang readily to mind and I have experimented with embossed card over exterior quality foamcore board (cheating I know - yet still pleasing) on a lineside hut.

I am looking forward to seeing others' interpretations of this pleasing little kit post-11256-0-21898200-1328400195_thumb.jpg post-11256-0-39083100-1328400207_thumb.jpgpost-11256-0-65880400-1328400218_thumb.jpgpost-11256-0-73423100-1328400233_thumb.jpgpost-11256-0-64583500-1328400244_thumb.jpg

Hi devondynosoar118

That just looks mint and made for the job in hand.

I however not as gifted as you lot, i have built it but not fixed the roof on as yet. I painted the inside blue from a matchpot i had laying about, and then using some of kits surround areas. I built up a level and crafted painted some match sticks for levers. i may later trying adding drainpipes as said in article and as some of you have done, but i also want to add a figure inside and a led. So when sat on layout hopefully you`ll figue by the levers ( i HOPE )

post-14408-0-17182600-1328404304_thumb.jpg

post-14408-0-32814100-1328404325_thumb.jpg

post-14408-0-22900300-1328404336_thumb.jpg

Sorry forgot to put flash on first 2 pics DOH

As I promised I have finally managed to get a photo of the inside of my Freebie box just got fingers crossed it come out the right way as it's off my Blackberry

OH Yes saw one on Ebay last night on a buy it now at £7.50 Robbiinn..................

Levers - OK

Table - OK

Fire - OK

Carpet piece - OK

Notice Board - OK plus separate notices

Block instrument - yes but not happy

Couple of benches - OK

Wanted to make an Armchair but it didn't look right maybe next one I'll work out how to

post-5126-0-84867300-1328448487_thumb.jpg

As I promised I have finally managed to get a photo of the inside of my Freebie box just got fingers crossed it come out the right way as it's off my Blackberry

OH Yes saw one on Ebay last night on a buy it now at £7.50 Robbiinn..................

Levers - OK

Table - OK

Fire - OK

Carpet piece - OK

Notice Board - OK plus separate notices

Block instrument - yes but not happy

Couple of benches - OK

Wanted to make an Armchair but it didn't look right maybe next one I'll work out how to

Nice work!

It will be great when lit.

ATVB

CME

Nice work!

It will be great when lit.

ATVB

CME

LOL

Not just yet I've run out of LED's but when I get some more in then yes still working on it any way got the gutters and down pipes to add next then decide which are of my layout it's going on and name it appropriately

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Mine will end up on my sons train set - when they are not on games.

They are currently mad on Warhammer, so aven't run their trains for nearly a year.

I borrow it as a test track!!!!

• RMweb Premium

I do 40k occasionally still! It was 25 years old this week, as I remember it coming out that made me feel old.

Try this for mixing both hobbies http://www.rmweb.co....trench-railway/

My modelling always seems to return to railways, I prefer building to running but still like to watch them run. Warhammer to me is a bit weird, but the boys like it, I suppose it was that the only person I knew doing table tap gaming was weird, but then so was train spotting!

One of the boys showed no real modelling interest until he got Warhammer, he has assembled and painted his team, his twin is still painting his Orcs.

But then I do like the SciFi aspect of it, I do admit I like video games as well and I enjoy a SciFi shooter a lot, hence grabbing that avatar as the black profile looks a bit weird, err but the avatar is black as well!!!!

The boys bought a loco a while ago green Bachman 20 they just do not know where to spend their limited funds. But they do not mind Thomas & Percy.

Archived