7mm narrow gauge in card

cornamuse

finally - hearse van finished :)

the urns were a bit of a nightmare - would have been easier to use 4 little jewelllery parts but a) I wanted to do anything possible from card and paper and B) I am way too tight :D

post-11344-0-39751700-1330763266_thumb.jpg

they dont look anything special in close - up, and are maybe a bit oversized, but look the part painted

7mm narrow gauge Ffestiniog hearse van

7mm narrow gauge Ffestiniog hearse van 2

now to finish the instructions and think of a next subject. Kind of feel I need to produce a locomotive sometime soon :)

• Craftsmanship/clever 1

On the bug box front - Ffestiniog Carrige number 1 (the zoo car) started. working on the internal bit first, which will be the same for any variants, I think

post-11344-0-86583900-1331159264.jpg

post-11344-0-95972000-1331159237_thumb.jpg

post-11344-0-69065500-1331159256_thumb.jpg

To make it an easier model to construct, am using a cut down (hacked down might be more accurate :) ) Hornby truck chassis. Might make the idea of making several variants bearable :D

Edited by cornamuse
  • Like 1

here is the pdf for the slate waggon

generic 3 ton slate waggon with wheels.pdf

also - how I did it :)

Generic 3 ton slate waggon instructions 7mm scale.pdf

have fun with them and let me know if they work ok :)

hi guys!

have had 40 downloads of the model so far (and glad of the interest :) )

anyone had a go at it? any comments?

cheers

andy

• 3 weeks later...

Finally - progress on this coach! Just needs the roof painting black, numbering and lettering. It would help if I had a name for my railway :)

this is my ham-fisted version of Ffestiniog 1870's livery - Col Stephens would have been more in keeping with how it looks these days, but I don't like the green. Have plans drawn up for 2 other bug boxes 1st (no 2) and 3rd (no 5), which should be an easy enough build.

I haven't been totally idle since the last post - have been building them a home to run on - see Charlie's yard - http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/53004-charlies-yard/

post-11344-0-93086900-1333355255.jpg

post-11344-0-85113200-1333355268.jpg

• Craftsmanship/clever 1

Finally - progress on this coach! Just needs the roof painting black, numbering and lettering. It would help if I had a name for my railway :)

this is my ham-fisted version of Ffestiniog 1870's livery - Col Stephens would have been more in keeping with how it looks these days, but I don't like the green. Have plans drawn up for 2 other bug boxes 1st (no 2) and 3rd (no 5), which should be an easy enough build.

I haven't been totally idle since the last post - have been building them a home to run on - see Charlie's yard - http://www.rmweb.co....-charlies-yard/

post-11344-0-93086900-1333355255.jpg

post-11344-0-85113200-1333355268.jpg

Andy, I'm well impressed with these.

If you had made these available 10 years ago I think it would have made a serious dent in the sales of my resin Bug Boxes kits!

Having looked at your layout thread I'm also impressed with your other card work, it may be cheap but it doesn't lack quality, also shows what is possible even on a low budget.

I hope we can see it all in the flesh at some point or have you no plans for exhibiting? I may know a man who would be interested in giving you a space, where are you based?

Phil T.

• Like 1

Thank you both! I am glad you like.

Phil - budget is spot on: we have a little 10 month old engine driver, so the budget extends to card and superglue. I suspect the models would annoy most people to put together, as you have to make the kit before you can make the model, as it were, so I think you would have been safe - especially given the excellent quality of your models - but thank you all the same! :)

As to exhibiting, I have never thought of it, as I didn't really feel they were up to that sort of standard. I would love to, although I would need to actually finish a model for once - for which my wife would be eternally greatful! I'm based in the North East - Darlington- if that helps at all.

many thanks

Andy

just the door handles to go, then on to the next carriages - 1st and 3rd bugboxes I think, then some workmen's ones - I like the Penrhyn open carriages, perhaps. The ffestiniog ones would keep the style in house (not that that bothers me) - any others spring to mind, anyone? need to be small and basic - like my skills :D

You seem to be building up quite a collection of stock. Are you now using RTR wagon chassis ?

Your buildings are also superb, they complement the stock very well.

Far from basic skills being shown, in fact a lot of tallent there

Many thanks, John,

The stock is building up steadily - as usual more ideas than time - I have 2 more bugboxes drawn up and printed ready to cut, and have made a start on drawings for Ffestiniog workmans coach - seemed logical as the hearse van was apparently converted from one :) I think I will need one of the guard's vans too. rather short on wagons at the moment, but at least there are no shortage of prototypes!. I am taking the pproach of "no 2 items the same" - as I enjoy the design process as least as much as the build.

I am using cheap Hornby chassis for the bugboxes. I though that, since you can't see the wheels, then why try to make life hard! Where it shows, though, I will be making my own running gear.

Still to come is any form of loco for the narrow gauge. I have a Hornby desmond on the way to convert to a basic quarry hunslet - maybe like Britomart, and I am drawing up a Tin Turtle to use with a spud motor bogie - however - I haven't wired any track up yet, so seems to be little hurry - I am enjoying finger shunting :D

Before I got some Peco srock I built a 5 plank wagon using a Coopercraft wagon chassis. Works fine but the W irons / axle boxes are too small.

On reflection if I want to build a wagon or van I will use either a Peco or Slimrails wagon chassis. I have no problems scratch building but if an item already exists and you cannot build it better then use whats available. We have no deadline but it would be nice to have the track built and working by the autumn. Would love to do a bit of scratch building a loco, but thats in the future.

As for using an 00 gauge loco, make sure the chassis is a good runner. I got another Hunslet with a Hornby 0-4-0 chassis, great at top speed but not too hot at slow running.

Edited by hayfield
  • Like 1

As for using an 00 gauge loco, make sure the chassis is a good runner. I got another Hunslet with a Hornby 0-4-0 chassis, great at top speed but not too hot at slow running.

already got that issue with my 2 standard gauge 7mm locos - both use Hornby mechanisms much butchered to fit :) not so much from choice as cost, and I had them sitting around...

I must do a comparison with the Triang/Hornby chassis with a 3 pole motor with one with a 5 pole version, but I think the more modern versions with decent can motors will win out. I still think a Mashima can motor with a decent gearbox ( 1 or 2 stage) is best, but I have been warned that certain smaller gearboxes may struggle (keeping their teeth) with heavy whitemetal 7mm locos.

Having a small layout very slow running is important, so I will be looking for the best combination or motor/gearbox for these locos. Having so few locos will reduce the overall cost of motive power

Space for a flywheel can help, too. I have had a lot of success with the aptlly named "bull ant" - it was small enough to become the powered tender for my 4mm scale locomotion. runs slowly, smoothly and reliably - and was available in a wide range of combinations. It also had a flywheel until I cut it off to make the mechanism fit in the tender :D Its next role may well be inside a slate wagon so I can run a Gravity train :)

post-11344-0-47698300-1333742751.jpg

post-11344-0-44963500-1333742761.jpg

on the subject of odd mechanisms - narrow gauge and card, but 1/12 scale rather than 1:32 - I give you Dumpy

made a while ago on a basic IP engineering chassis, powered by a radio control unit from a £10 toy car. Lots of fun, fairly controllable, but one day, I will be able to afford the real gear :)

post-11344-0-17151100-1333742772.jpg

Edited by cornamuse
  • Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

1st class bug box coming along nicely. have mocked up the sides on publisher and am considering using the picture printed on to photographic paper and layered up. anyone tried that? I suspect the end choice wll be card and then painted, to match the rest of the stock, but doesn't hurt to try something new :)

post-11344-0-54382300-1334248229.jpg

any comments?

andy

• Like 1

1st class bug box coming along nicely. have mocked up the sides on publisher and am considering using the picture printed on to photographic paper and layered up. anyone tried that? I suspect the end choice wll be card and then painted, to match the rest of the stock, but doesn't hurt to try something new :)

post-11344-0-54382300-1334248229.jpg

any comments?

andy

That looks really good Andy, I've tried to paint one of mine like that and it is a right PIA . I would definitely try photo paper and using it as the top layer, you will almost certainly not match your result with paint. (coachman might but he has had years of practice!)

Phil T.

cant argue with ou on the painting :) will have a go tonight and post. main concern is that it will look out of place with the other stock. mind you - wont have to muck about with transfers :) the artwork was taken from the real thing :D

Phil - you will know this (and if it isnt cheeky to ask) - if I ever got as far as producing this as a kit (unlikely, TBH - I'm not sure enough people want to use card, and I dont want tis to stop being fun) would I need permission from the nice people at the Ffestiniog, as it is one of their coaches? how about for the artwork - eg the company crest?

cheers

Andy

cant argue with ou on the painting :) will have a go tonight and post. main concern is that it will look out of place with the other stock. mind you - wont have to muck about with transfers :) the artwork was taken from the real thing :D

Phil - you will know this (and if it isnt cheeky to ask) - if I ever got as far as producing this as a kit (unlikely, TBH - I'm not sure enough people want to use card, and I dont want tis to stop being fun) would I need permission from the nice people at the Ffestiniog, as it is one of their coaches? how about for the artwork - eg the company crest?

cheers

Andy

To be honest Andy I'm not too sure. I've certainly had no problems with the coaches but the best person to ask about the crests is Paul at EDM Models as he sells the transfers for the crests etc and will probably know about any permission needed.

I get the impression from some recent comments about their drawings that they are tightening up on this but I could be wrong (nothing new there!!).

Phil T.

• Like 1

way too shiny - back to the old methods :) plain card and paint. won't be as neat, but will fit in with the rest of the stock!

ffestiniog small birmingham coach 7mm narrow gauge.pdf

anyone want to have a go - be my guest! has blank and coloured sides as well as the same chassis and ends as the zoo car (photos earlier in thread)

would love to see a photo of someone elses version!