Cutting track and baseboard joints

Good day Chaps,

I have little doubt that these questions have already been covered on this forum, but I've tried various seaches and can't find the answers.

My layout in the making covers 6 baseboards that are bolted together and have locating pins for accuracy. I'm slowly arriving at the time to start laying track, exciting times indeed. I had been planning on cutting the track before laying so I can butt up the track before gluing to remove any gaps across the baseboard joints, but in the March edition of Model Rail, in the Loch Oran report, David Harrision says he laid the track, then cut the rails at the baseboard joins. Any thoughts? Also I'm sure I've seen some people use PCB to hold the rails at baseboard joins. Could anyone tell me the advantages of this.

Thanks again for your assistance

Jon

I lay the track across the baseboard join (ie, actually pin/glue it in place permanantly) and then cut it. One tip is to place a piece of card between the baseboards - the gap where the cutting disc or saw went through the track is removed as the baseboards will come closer together when you remove the card.

Have you tried Googling 'laying track across baseboards RMWeb'? I just did and it produced a page full of what look like suitable results...?

I'd always go for laying, fixing firmly and then cutting in order to ensure alignment is good.

As to PCB. it's very much a question of the track being used. As an example, with Peco code 55 N gauge track, the dummy rail foot is so buried in the sleepers that as long as they are well fixed nothing is needed, but with their more traditional code 80 track the rails sits in relatively fragile platic chairs from which it can easdily be ripped if caught. In the latter case I'd always use a piece of (electrically gapped) PCB and solder the rails to it for greater physical strength.

Although you didn't ask, I'd add one further point. Never rely on the rails either touching or not touching over a baseboard joint for electrical continuity or separation. If you need a power connection, connect it via another means, if you need a power gap, gap it far enough away from the baseboard edge to not affct mechanical reliability.

I lay the track across the baseboard join (ie, actually pin/glue it in place permanantly) and then cut it. One tip is to place a piece of card between the baseboards - the gap where the cutting disc or saw went through the track is removed as the baseboards will come closer together when you remove the card.

That only works for tracks crossing the boards at 90 degrees to the board join, otherwise it introduces a misalignment when the boards are closed up...

Archived