Bath Queen Square

queensquare

Hi Jerry,

I hope the show is going according to plan, thank you for posting the video, I do enjoy his efforts each year as it seems to give a more personal approach to an exhibition.

G

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, richbrummitt said:

How many 7Fs are you building? 

Id like to do five more, three small boilered and a couple of large  but will probably start with a batch of three -  we'll see how the discipline holds out!

jerry

• RMweb Premium
On 06/04/2019 at 19:42, queensquare said:

A few snaps from todays excellent NEWGOG Gauge O Guild show in Newport where the Midland shed formed the centre piece of our guest scale  2mm demo.

On shed are examples of 1F, 2F, 3F, 4F and 7F and in the carriage sidings are a SDJR set and a couple of MR through coaches. We had numerous examples of other Midland and SDJR locos in various stages of construction and had a very succesful game of 'thats small' comments Bingo - it was always going to be easy to fill your card at a 7mm do:)

The good burgers of South Wales were wonderful hosts as usual and we had a very enjoyable day. 

Next outing in a busy April is York in a couple of weeks.

1.jpg.69f159645895e591bd7be3b5a4d47265.jpg

2.jpg.fc8d95e45356e749ca6b22eadbe0f48b.jpg

3.jpg.254cdc22faddf5233a00d972db34db3a.jpg

4.jpg.aa1e049b257ed0a56bf86495b9551e1f.jpg

Jerry

Jerry, are those trains very small or is Kim very tall??

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 11/12/2018 at 17:55, queensquare said:

A couple of posts relating to work done a little while ago but only now snapped. First up is the next stage in building the 6 wheel brake vans. The card frames are glued to the body, there are two of each in the kit as they are delicate though law of sod says that if you have spares you won't need them! I found they line up perfectly but leave a slight gap at the corners which on the original build I filled with a sliver of microstrip and filed square after the first pass of primer. Hopefully the picture makes it all clear.

Guards lookout duckets next.

post-1074-0-16037700-1544550508_thumb.jpg

Jerry

I've got this far and have been waiting patiently to find out how you build the lookout duckets ;)

Mind you, you've got the distraction of building 7Fs with the wrong kind of wheels (2mmFS instead of N) to keep you busy!

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
On 16/05/2019 at 21:47, CarriageShed said:

I've got this far and have been waiting patiently to find out how you build the lookout duckets ;)

Mind you, you've got the distraction of building 7Fs with the wrong kind of wheels (2mmFS instead of N) to keep you busy!

I will get back to these soon. Its been a hectic few months and it does take me a little longer to complete each stage in the build - I'm building eight of the six wheel brake vans!

Off to Aylesbury for the weekend shortly for the superb Railex show. I will have the Midland and SDJR sheds, a selection of locos and stock, the signal boxes and lots of photos and other research material. Come and say hello.

Jerry

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

It has really captured the look of the beast. I have travelled quite often behind 88 on the WSR and it was in Blue then. At least you have room to give it a bit of a run on Bath

2 hours ago, queensquare said:

One idea that I have pinched is the method of taking current between loco and tender. As usual its beautifully simple, a couple of flexible wires from the loco frames with a small bit of tube soldered on the end that is a friction fit over some stiff wire stubs on the tender frames - brilliant!

My own system, not based on John's, is equally simple. Two lengths of 8thou. p/b wire wound into a coil spring with a long tail each end. One tail is soldered to the outside of the loco frames at the back and the other tail fits into a tube on the front of the tender frames. Only tricky bit is threading the two tails in while also lining up the drive shaft when putting loco and tender together. The secret is to make the two tails different lengths and long enough to let you align the shaft once they are in. 

Jim 

Edited by Caley Jim
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• 5 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

A fabulous day at the steam fair. kim said the boy was in his element - and Ted loved it too - poop poop!

Here  we are checking out the finer details of the crane engine so we can get the next one I build right:-))

JerryIMG-20190824-WA0033.jpg.cf8c6fe7452177a2c7514d217c3e3c98.jpg

• Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Great job with the coaling hoist, Jerry. I must have a second go at mine using the plan you kindly sent me. It doesn't look too bad without a loco but when one is next to it the tub cannot be raised high enough to clear the tender top!

Edited by Rowsley17D
Correcting to and too

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Did you find a good photo or drawing of the coal hoist, or is it a best guess?

There's a drawing in Midland Record 20 of the hoist at Radstock which looks to be similar. There are a few photos that offer a glimpse of the crane at Bath and similar ones elsewhere but they are mostly in deep shadow so there is inevitably an element of guesswork.

The way these things usually work is that a clear, crisp picture will turn up now that I've gone ahead and built mine! :)

Jerry

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, Rowsley17D said:

Great job with the coaling hoist, Jerry. I must have a second go at mine using the plan you kindly sent me. It doesn't look to bad without a loco but when one is next too it the tub cannot be raised high enough to clear the tender top!

Thanks Jonathan, I followed all the known dimensions I had and the hoist, with a tub just clears the timber uprights. The tubs are also just about high enough to coal a tank loco or a Johnson pattern tender though would struggle with a Deeley/ Fowler pattern - particularly if it had coal rails. I suspect that was probably the case with the prototype and would require an element of hand maneuvering by the shed staff - probably a major factor in why this sort of arrangement only lasted at smaller sheds.

Jerry

• Agree 1