Trebudoc in O Gauge, Videos, page 28, 29, 31 to 33 + 36

Andrew P

Hi Ian, I have had some of these levers about 40 years, YES THATS RIGHT 4    O   YEARS I think they are GEM products. I also had some that worked side ways on with a red lever top but I have used those on a friends O Gauge layout that I am building.

Thanks George. what do you think of putting a cattle dock in place of the loco coaling stage. I feel it would give more shunting interest and also give another type of wagon to bring in and shunt, instead of just sitting a loco there, as an operator what do you think? would appreciate your in put,

Hi Ian, WOT THE HECK IS Mazak? I have never heard of that word before?

I now have a Skytrex Provender store which I have removed from its base, and will put in the loading dock. My Peco yard crane has arrived and so that needs building and weathering and will sit on the dock as well.

OK - Mazak is a zinc alloy used for making diecast models. If there was any impurity in the mix, it degenerated over time, becoming brittle and weak. Signs of decay are splits in the surface or a white reaction with the impurities.

Die-cast toy

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

(Redirected from
)

The term die-cast toy here refers to any toy or collectible model produced by using the die casting method. The toys are made of metal, with plastic, rubber or glass details. Wholly plastic toys are made by a similar process of injection moulding, but the two are rarely confused. The metal used is either a lead alloy (in the first toys), or more commonly Zamak (or Mazak in the UK), an alloy of zinc with small quantities of aluminium and copper.Lead, as previously so widely used for cast metal toys, or iron are impurities that must be carefully avoided in this alloy, as they give rise to zinc pest. These alloys are also referred to casually as white metal or pot metal, although these terms are also confused with the lead toy alloys. The most common die-cast toys are scale models of automobiles, aircraft, construction equipment and trains, although almost anything can be produced by this method.

Pretty sure those are GEM levers, whitemetal with brass levers. I'm using them myself! They're part of the Mercontrol (wire-in-tube) point control range, number 1001 Universal Point Lever. The older style of this lever is the type you've described, and sometimes came with a red top, sometimes (I believe) plain grey. See this website for more details. Usual disclaimer: no connection with the company except as a satisfied customer.

Hi Mate.

This is looking great, really like the scribed brick work on the dock, looks stunning.

Only one thing missing mate...an 08 :)

Its on order, the new Dapol one, I also want to try and get another 03 like I had on St Budoc, I have a small shunter but the back to back needs a look at as it drops into the points. It was the Engineers Yard Shunter at Exmouth Junction Depot so about right for Trebudoc, cute init !

post-9335-0-32010500-1335459603_thumb.jpg

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 3

Hi All I have now made a start on the road bridge. I wanted one a bit like on St Budoc,I have made of a basic frame from some scrap white faced hardboard and then it will be covered in DAS, it is then scribed and weathered in a grey local stone colour to match the dock / loading bay. I have included a couple pictures of the bridge on St Budoc for those of you who have not seen the finnished article, and also some photos of the new bridge under construction, unfortunately the photos did not load up in the correct order but you will get the idea. The next stage is to cover it in cardboard (cereal packet is good enough) so that the DAS has something to adhere to.

post-9335-0-70948300-1335514670_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-18553400-1335514906_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-99301800-1335514970_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-18553700-1335514993_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-91829700-1335515012_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-49884300-1335515031_thumb.jpg

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 5

Andy

This is coming along very nicely. The scribed loading dock looks great. Excellent weathering on those stones.

Stephen

Cheers Stephen, I have decided to to put a Cattle Dock in place of the Loco Coaling Stage as it will give me more wagon opperation as opposed to just a loco in and out. I have built it this evening and covered it with DAS, and will scribe it as cobbels and post some photos soon.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks George. what do you think of putting a cattle dock in place of the loco coaling stage. I feel it would give more shunting interest and also give another type of wagon to bring in and shunt, instead of just sitting a loco there, as an operator what do you think? would appreciate your in put,

Hi Ian, WOT THE HECK IS Mazak? I have never heard of that word before?

I now have a Skytrex Provender store which I have removed from its base, and will put in the loading dock. My Peco yard crane has arrived and so that needs building and weathering and will sit on the dock as well.

You are obviously just a youngster I can remember model railway mags featuring odd bits about Mazak wheels breaking up. Whoops showing my age here.

The cattle dock sounds more use than loco coaling.

Don

Edited by Donw

Just when I thought it felt right I have found room for another track out from the fiddle yard, and still getting room for a loco coaling point. Less is more I keep being told but I need operation as well as scenics so we will see just how this transform into the finnished layout. pics will follow soon.

• Like 1

Hello Andy, l see you are getting on at a pace (again), and it's looking good, nice to see you getting back into 0' gauge, just a thought would it not be better to put the cattle dock over where the water tower is, and put the water tower next to the coaling stage, as l think a loco standing next to the cattle with all the hissing and blowing would distress them a little ? just a thought, anyway keep the picture's coming ...

• Like 1

Hello Andy, l see you are getting on at a pace (again), and it's looking good, nice to see you getting back into 0' gauge, just a thought would it not be better to put the cattle dock over where the water tower is, and put the water tower next to the coaling stage, as l think a loco standing next to the cattle with all the hissing and blowing would distress them a little ? just a thought, anyway keep the picture's coming ...

Thanks George, Thats a great idea mate and I will use the one by the coaling stage as a loading dock. Thanks for that mate.

Just an update as I have managed to ballast the layout now and so the next steps are the bridge and the static grass to finnish off the roadway. I can then put a fence along behind the goods store and also lay some ash around the store. the final jobbie will be the grass embankment and water tank but I am still looking for some ideas on that.

post-9335-0-17280800-1336233534_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-64748700-1336233553_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-48001300-1336233575_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-54281900-1336233596_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-88058700-1336233628_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-30019500-1336233647_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

Andy

Love what you have done with the coaling stage and the coal drops. Very nicely finished.

Stephen

Cheers Stephen, I am pleased so far but the yard crane is still proving a problem as to wether to leave it on the goods dock or put it on the ground at the front of the layout, in the yard entrance, (as per some GWR layout pics I have seen). I would like advice on this from people with more knowledge than me.

Cheers Stephen, I am pleased so far but the yard crane is still proving a problem as to wether to leave it on the goods dock or put it on the ground at the front of the layout, in the yard entrance, (as per some GWR layout pics I have seen). I would like advice on this from people with more knowledge than me.

Andy

I have the same predictament. With a distinct lack of planning, I built a yard crane and want to include it on my layout but not sure where it should go. I'll also be interested in the views of others.

Stephen